The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Apr 4, 2019

3. Moin2200
    KitKat Apr 4, 2019

Artemus. likes this.
  4. LegolasX
    Jelly Bean Apr 4, 2019

LegolasX , Apr 4, 2019 :
    theoretically, yes.
    but beware the hardware may not be compatible with the gsi builds(xda says fingerprint may fail to work).
    i wouldn't take risk anyways.
    6T is perfect candidate for the the test though.

Artemus. likes this.
  5. Predict23
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 4, 2019

6. Pacomdta
    Gingerbread Apr 4, 2019

Pacomdta , Apr 4, 2019 :
    I'm trying and there's no way.

7. Logancd1

Logancd1 , Apr 4, 2019 :
    I need to point out that the point of Project Treble is NOT to make Android OS updates direct. Treble simply separates the Android OS from any chipset code for each device. This means that once Google releases any new version of the Android OS, smartphone manufacturers who use Android no longer have to wait for chipset manufacturers such as Qualcomm to update their own code to work for that new version of Android. The smartphone manufacturers can begin work on their Android OS update immediately rather than waiting anymore.

In the past, the Android update process looked like this:
    Google releases new version of Android
    Chipset makers such as Qualcomm and Samsung (Exynos cpus) build a new update for each of their chips that works with that new version of Android
    Once that chip code is ready, smartphone manufacturers such as OnePlus, Samsung, LG can begin to build their own phone's updates.

Treble simply removes that middle step of waiting for part-specific code. It doesn't mean that anything Google releases is ready to go for every Android phone out there.
    FWIW, I read all this on the internet so while I'm like 95% sure this is how it works, there's still a 5% chance I'm wrong.

8. Maverick2.0
    KitKat Apr 4, 2019

Maverick2.0 , Apr 4, 2019 :
    Excellent explanation! Thank you.:)

9. Maverick2.0
    KitKat Apr 4, 2019

Maverick2.0 , Apr 4, 2019 :
    To be honest, I would love to know when we might expect Android Q (once it is officially released in August). I bought the OP 6 partly because it supports Treble and it would be great if we got Q by October 2019.

Anyone care to venture a guess? :)

10. Logancd1

Logancd1 , Apr 4, 2019 :
    I was actually reading about how long it took manufacturers to get updates out to their phones pre-Treble and post-Treble...
    The sad fact is that it didn't seem to make much of a difference. So I'd expect a similar timeline to past Android updates, meaning 4-6ish months. Keep in mind I have absolutely no idea what's going on internally at any of these manufacturers so maybe this is the year Treble really shows the improvement everyone was expecting. But based on the last couple years of Treble-supported phones getting their updates, I'm not expecting Q any sooner than 4-6 months after release on the 6/6T. Let me see if I can find that article I was looking at....

Maverick2.0 likes this.
  11. Logancd1

Logancd1 , Apr 4, 2019 :
    Actually that didn't take long at all. I had it bookmarked lol. Here's where a bunch of my information came from: https://www.computerworld.com/artic...ect-treble-android-upgrade-fix-explained.html

Maverick2.0 likes this.
  12. Maverick2.0
    KitKat Apr 4, 2019