Android Security patch

1. biswatma.nayak
    Cupcake Apr 2, 2018

biswatma.nayak , Apr 2, 2018 :
    Essential codt same as 5t or 5

2. gha2012
    Gingerbread Apr 2, 2018

gha2012 , Apr 2, 2018 :
    What you say does not make sense and is purely fanboyism behaviour and talk, a company that only offers one phone should have no issue to push out monthly security patches without a sweat. If they can `t or won`t do that they should close their business. Nokia and Sony can do it with multiple phones so whats the problem.

vivekgokulraj likes this.
  3. auchies
    Donut Apr 2, 2018

auchies , Apr 2, 2018 :
    like i said go nd use dem brands that push updates timely to dia phone... u are not held at gun point to use oneplus ...stop complaining..

4. vivekgokulraj
    Honeycomb Apr 2, 2018

vivekgokulraj , Apr 2, 2018 :
    well enlighten us noobs , why security patches are not important. than I will join you

marcusskyfall likes this.
  5. vivekgokulraj
    Honeycomb Apr 2, 2018

vivekgokulraj , Apr 2, 2018 :
    my kind request if u have proper answer, post it here. don't repeat the same answer that doesn't justify the thread. on the other hand report the thread for closure

6. gha2012
    Gingerbread Apr 2, 2018

gha2012 , Apr 2, 2018 :
    We are paying costumers and have a legal right to have OP keep our phones secure. Samsung is beeing sued in court in the Netherlands by a big consumers platform for their late and irregular update strategy for their phones.

Android-Andi likes this.
  7. auchies
    Donut Apr 2, 2018

auchies , Apr 2, 2018 :
    then take oneplus to court nd dont complain here ... smh

8. vivekgokulraj
    Honeycomb Apr 2, 2018

9. gha2012
    Gingerbread Apr 2, 2018

gha2012 , Apr 2, 2018 :
    You`re not the brightest star around, are you? Do you even know what complaining means? I don`t waste my time on you anymore and i post whatever i think is necessery.

10. Android-Andi
    Jelly Bean Apr 2, 2018

Android-Andi , Apr 2, 2018 :
    sure they have to test it, but partners (like OnePlus) get the fixes AT LEAST 1 MONTH before the bulletin report goes public. so... CAF based or not, they get the patches long time before Google pushes the report and updated AOSP source public...

most of the time the fixes apply clean, different base only means they might need to take 5 minutes more to apply needed patch on CAF modified source - and there's a lot of repos which need the patches (platform/external/ repos) and I am sure CAF doesn't have additions merged.

I'd respect if you say Google certification takes time, also some carriers might need to give a "go" which eats time - but saying they are CAF based and can't updated because of that at time isn't a reason.

otto2 and dsmonteiro like this.
  11. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Apr 2, 2018

dsmonteiro , Apr 2, 2018 :
    Fair enough. You clearly know your stuff as opposed to me, who has just read some things online. ;)

Android-Andi and otto2 like this.
  12. Android-Andi
    Jelly Bean Apr 2, 2018

Android-Andi , Apr 2, 2018 :
    I am active in some custom ROM communities (also updating some older roms frequently with monthly security updates) and you get a lot of information from people who know a lot, also I've a friend who's working for a company selling smartphones for industry stuff (he's e.g. fixing CTS compatibility of device specific source).
    E.g. LineageOS or AOSPA are CAF based in big parts and there isn't much trouble applying the monthly security patches once Google publishes them.

so: CAF isn't the reason, Google certification and carrier testing might be...

otto2 and dsmonteiro like this.
  13. jonathanlyng
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 2, 2018

jonathanlyng , Apr 2, 2018 :
    Samsung has the February patches because they only released OREO on the stable channel in early march for their phones, OnePlus released released Oreo on the stable channel in December.

14. Ajinkya Latpate
    Cupcake Apr 2, 2018

15. yowhatup
    Froyo Apr 3, 2018

yowhatup , Apr 3, 2018 :
    Security has to be number one. OnePlus should stay updated with security patches.

16. vivekabp
    Cupcake Apr 3, 2018

17. biplabloveu
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 3, 2018

18. Serbian Overlord
    KitKat Apr 3, 2018

19. vivekabp
    Cupcake Apr 3, 2018

marcusskyfall likes this.
  20. idkwhoiam322
    Nougat Apr 3, 2018

idkwhoiam322 , Apr 3, 2018 :
    That's not completely true. Unless you have a direct partnership with Google, it can be quite a pain in the bum to get the required sources to make the patch compatible with your device, especially when Qualcomm is very annoying, and has lots of hands in the work on LOS(a major reason why several people prefer AOSP ROMs). OxygenOS is a mix of a lot of sources(mainly CAF), it does get delayed quite a bit. And after they do get the patch "ready", they have to test it enough to make sure it is safe enough and doesn't break things, something Google apparently doesn't do, looking at patches since Jan 2018, there's always reports of poor battery life, heating issues, lag on multiple Pixel devices.

otto2 likes this.