Android updates for TV via OnePlus Community App

2. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jul 10, 2020

Venky61 , Jul 10, 2020 :
    Hi,
    It's true we are still on Android 9. But it's not just the OnePlus TV users, but all the Android TVs in the market are still on Android 9. Unlike Phones where the OEM push the updates as soon as Google releases, the Android updates on TVs are pretty slow for various reasons such as (my guesses)
    Many OEMs/existing devices are still at Nougat and Oreo.
    Limited support from App Developers for optimization for the platform.
    Google doesn't insist OEMs to push updates

The best way for obtaining fast updates would be if Google comes up with a concept like Android One for TVs too where the updates are optimized and pushed by google themselves.

With the increase in Android TVs in the market from the last year, hopefully, the update timelines will be escalated.

Amanrae likes this.
  3. harshmehtaa , via OnePlus Community App , Jul 10, 2020 :
    thats for that update venky...google needs to play an important focus on android tv as markets grow or it will sink like how watchOS is going with most companies prefer their OS than android

Venky61 likes this.
  4. Venky61
    OnePlus TV Expert Community Expert Jul 10, 2020

Venky61 , Jul 10, 2020 :
    Welcome :)
    Very True...Samsung and LG still prefer their own custom OS. But compared to 2018, the situation of Android TV has vastly improved. The interface and features have been refined but there's scope for improvement.

Amanrae likes this.
  5. harshmehtaa , via OnePlus Community App , Jul 10, 2020 :
    still a long way to go for android tv ...Many android mobile features i can think can be bought to the tv interface. Oneplus should be the pioneer in the space even when google is not pushing the updates ...oneplus should actively do it ...will do a lot in gaining markets with new tvs launched and an edge over the leader Xiaomi.

Amanrae, I1579671811380 and Venky61 like this.