OxygenOS Animations stuttering/dropping frames?

1. AshenPaladin
    Froyo Jan 28, 2019

AshenPaladin , Jan 28, 2019 :
    OnePlus 6
    256 GB ROM and 8 GB RAM variant
    A6003
    OOS 9.0.3.

The phone starts to randomly lag for some reason. The animations tend to stutter, or to drop frames, which is the most visible when going to the home screen or moving around the launcher. I'm sure that it has something to do with the animations because with the animations disable, the phone doesn't lag or stutter at all.
    There doesn't seem to be an obvious reason for this behavior. I factory reset my phone a couple of times, I even downgraded to Oreo and then updated again to 9.0.3 and always, the phone is buttery smooth at the beginning, only for it to start having issues with the animations a few days in. I thought that it might be one of the apps that I use, but I tried to install them one by one and to remove those that I thought might be problematic, and to no avail. Bitwarden apparently used to create similar issues, but I removed it and I made sure that no apps are using the accessibility services. The issue seems to appear even on a phone that has only the default apps installed.
    I've been looking around the internet and some people are saying that this is an issue that affects and has affected all OnePlus phones, that OnePlus simply goes for speed instead of smoothness and that it's something related to how the CPU behaves, but I'm fairly certain that I had no such issues before Pie, and it kept on appearing and disappearing on all the Pie variants of Oxygen OS. It didn't happen on Oreo, and people who have recently upgraded to Pie on the 5/5T seem to notice such issues too.

I have been unable to actually catch the issue in a recording because it's pretty chaotic. The system can be very smooth only for a specific animation to start stuttering, and then everything works smoothly again. It might be related to how much RAM is used, but I'm not sure. I've never passed 4.1 GB of RAM being used, and I have an 8 GB RAM variant of the OnePlus 6.

Rufu, BruntaX and G_Dinesh_Kumar_EePo like this.
  2. Rufu
    Eclair Jul 1, 2020

Rufu , via OnePlus 6T , Jul 1, 2020 :
    I have the same issue. I have 8gig one plus 6t and like you said all of a sudden it will stutter and drop frames.

I factory reset it couple of time. Still the problem exist.