[Anniversary Boxes Giveaway] My journey with OnePlus: a journey 'on the move' for more than 6 years

?

What do you want to see?

Poll closed Aug 9, 2021.
  1. Videos

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Photos

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. GIFS

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Custom ROM 'Deep Dive'

4 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Overzee
    The Showcase Reviewer Aug 6, 2021

Overzee , Aug 6, 2021 :
    low_poly_abstract_banner_design_2604 [Omgezet]-01.png

In just over 10 days I was able to put my OnePlus story into words. If you have 10 minutes available, you should be able to read the whole story!

Introduction banner-02.png
    What is a personal story without a proper introduction, in real life my name is Jeroen. I was born in November 1987, already 33 years old (how time flies when you have passed the age of 18). I am married (just over 6 years already?!) and we have a son who is almost 2 years old. At the end of this month we can finally REALLY celebrate his birthday, last year it was unfortunately not possible, I think the reason is quite clear.

We live in a small village near Rotterdam, despite the fact that it is still about 45 minutes away, but Rotterdam gives a good idea of the location. I work at an oil refinery in the mainport of Rotterdam and it's currently one of the biggest (400,000 bpd) in Europe. Bpd = barrels per day and 1 barrel of oil = 158.987295 liters, so you can do the math;).

As you may have seen in the header text, the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition is my current phone, my so-called 'daily driver', I'm still in love with this beautiful device!

chapter one banner-02.png
    My OnePlus story starts somewhere in the summer of 2014. At that time I was still a real Apple/iOS fanboy with an iPhone 4 (and before that the iPhone 2G). At that time, jailbreaking your iPhone was incredibly popular and I was very active with jailbreaking and everything that comes with it! Since my iPhone 4 was already getting quite outdated in 2014, it was time to look for a successor. Actually I was planning to stay with Apple, in fact I had a pre-order for the iPhone 6 (Plus). But due to incredibly long waiting times, a shortage of devices (at least in the Netherlands), the postponement of delivery dates, etc., I cancelled the order and I started looking for other smartphone manufacturers.

At work I had a conversation with a colleague, he had recently heard of a startup company that was about to release their very first smartphone. I hadn't heard of OnePlus before, but at least my interest was piqued.

I signed up for the OnePlus community, because I had to find an invite for the OnePlus One. Unfortunately, I don't remember who sent me the invite (still very grateful!), I immediately ordered the OnePlus One Sandstone Black 64GB with a black flip cover on October 28, 2014. Thanks to priority shipping (of course) it arrived very quickly.

For many years I have been very satisfied with my OnePlus One as a 'daily driver', I followed OnePlus on social media, the OnePlus community forum etc. in the years 2014 to 2017, but I was not very active as a community member. In June 2016 I bought the OnePlus 3 Graphite for my brother-in-law, I can still remember that there was a mobile browser game made by OnePlus. By unlocking a number (I expect 3) levels, you got access to buy the OnePlus 3, I vaguely remember this.

After 4 years of loyal service, it was time to replace my OnePlus One with a new OnePlus flagship!

IMG_20210810_163549_001.jpg
    My OnePlus One is still running, and I often use it when I need an extra camera for shooting videos and photos. It's currently running: LineageOS 18.1

low_poly_abstract_banner_design_2604 [Omgezet] chapter catalyst-02.png
    The OnePlus 6 was released about half a year before I was about to replace my OnePlus One, actually I was still quite happy with my OnePlus One. My good friend @charvester had also become enthusiastic about OnePlus and decided to buy the OnePlus 6. This was a good moment to see how good the device was. I was impressed but I didn't have the WOW effect yet, like I had with the OnePlus One. I decided to wait for the, of course not yet announced, but expected in the autumn, the OnePlus 6T.

On October 24, 2018, the pop-up event for the OnePlus 6T was announced on the Dutch subforum. Just over a week later (the 31st of October), the OnePlus 6T would be on sale during this pop-up. I had all day, as I didn't have to work, so I could plan the day well. I decided to go by train, as it had been a long time since I had traveled by train.

The OnePlus 6T Pop-up Amsterdam was held at the art'otel amsterdam, near the Central Station of Amsterdam. I arrived quite early, but the waiting lines were already building, but it would all be worth the wait! It was great speaking to some other OnePlus owners, most of them had a OnePlus 3(T) and newer, and many were asking about my OnePlus One, kinda cool:cool:. After a while the pop-up event started, and slowly but surely I was moving up the line.

I actually bought two OnePlus 6T's that day. A colleague had become interested in the brand and asked me to bring another 6T. I also brought some OnePlus merchandising with me: hoodie, t-shirts and a bag.

A small impression of my pop-up visit:
    Screenshot_20210810-201722__01.jpg Screenshot_20210810-201656__01.jpg Screenshot_20210810-201701__01.jpg Screenshot_20210810-201726__01.jpg 897155-d0e3c5a286808c71c69cfc43202e1f56.jpg Screenshot_20210810-201709__01.jpg

OnePlus 6T - Pop-ups Recap. I'm almost certain I'm not in one of the frames, but the video is just cool!

Schermafbeelding 2021-08-09 om 13.25.42.png Schermafbeelding 2021-08-09 om 13.24.48.png Schermafbeelding 2021-08-09 om 13.25.22.png
    Some snips from the OnePlus 6T pop-up event page.

Less than a month after I bought my OnePlus 6T at the Pop-up event in Amsterdam, the partnership OnePlus x McLaren was announced on November 27, 2018 by both OnePlus and McLaren. I didn't know what to say... my favorite smartphone brand is partnering with McLaren (which includes my favorite Formula 1 racing team from Woking).

After two week the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition was announced on December 11, 2018. I thought I was going to lose my mind! Whatever happened, I had to have this phone. I was even willing to sell my just purchased OnePlus 6T at a loss, the McLaren edition is mine!

The OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition went on sale on December 13, 2018. I managed to order a device on the OnePlus website, I was incredibly happy that it was successful. I had no idea how popular this device would be, I always assumed the worst (it will sell out in no time). In the end I was able to resell my OnePlus 6T with minimal loss, all's well that ends well!

You might be thinking, when will the fact that this chapter is called the catalyst be addressed? Well, I guess I'll explain that now. As I mentioned before, I wasn't the most active community member, but the OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition changed that. I visited the OnePlus community more often, I started participating in competitions, joined conversations and I made OnePlus friends online. I see my OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition as the catalyst in the chemical reaction between me and OnePlus, the OnePlus 6T that affected the speed of the chemical reaction without changing itself. It almost sounds philosophical.:D

My very first contribution to OnePlus and the community was a really cool one. For the 'The Showcase-join the 'OnePlus Explorer Backpack' reviewer squad!' contest, you were supposed to write a review about your favorite backpack. If this review was well written, with pictures and all, you could be admitted to a small group of people: The Showcase Reviewers! These reviewers would receive the new OnePlus backpack, the OnePlus Explorer Backpack, to review. If the review would be assessed on time and of sufficient quality, you could keep the backpack.

Long story short, I became one of the reviewers, along with @BobbyV8_, @Its.Leandroo, @hmrks, @Elliro, @RJBoss, @Hariragh, @sapshot & @camohan, a really nice group of OnePlus community members. We even created a Whatsapp group during the review period, it appears @camohan and myself are still members. The incredibly creative@Its.Leandroo designed the 'The Showcase' logo with the OnePlus Explorer backpack on top, it was nice to see it again after a lot of years! If you're interested, you'll find all reviews on this page.

Another great contest was the 'Global Tutorial Competition – Teach the world! Pt. 2 Europe' contest. A selection of EU countries were given their own topics to create a tutorial, the Netherlands were given some GAMING topics: Gaming Mode 3.0, Boost Mode, Alert Slider & App Locker. I decided to create a video tutorial about the Alert Slider. My entry was chosen as the best of the Dutch entries. The winners of each country would receive a special gift. As far as I know there are only 10 people (@aksshah2004, @eliamarisio, @Filipe1020, @gaster, @Lectum1, @luxuskamel, @Moin2200, @pillow35, @Venky61 and me) in possession of: the OnePlus VIP coin.

Showing this coin at the door (along with ID of some sort, which can be as easy as logging into your OnePlus forums account), you can expect to enjoy the following privileges:
    • Skip the line at any OnePlus community event.
    • Get a VIP badge and seating at launch events
    • Meet and greet with Pete, Carl or any available OnePlus team members.
    This coin valid for the lifetime of OnePlus (woohoo!).
    IMG_20210810_164018_001__01.jpg

Unfortunately I have not been able to use the VIP coin yet, I am curious if the others have already done this?;)

low_poly_abstract_banner_design_2604 [Omgezet] chapter conclusion-02.png
    My biggest adventure with OnePlus had everything to do with the OnePlus 7T launch in the fall of 2019. To celebrate the launch of this new OnePlus phone with the OnePlus community, the 'Win a trip of lifetime to EU launch+Ticket Giveaway' contest was launched. To participate you needed to choose out of two options:
    • Thanks for being by our side.
      Text from contest page: If you think you have what it takes to be crowned as 'the most loyal community member', please fill in this form where you should introduce your community engagement to win yourself the chance to join the launch!
    • Thanks for joining us.
      Text from contest page: We invite every community member to: Tag Pete and ask him a question with 'Smooth' as the keyword. Let's see which lucky duck will be chosen by Pete. Please leave a reply below or tag Pete with #OnePlusWinATrip on Twitter
    I decided to choose the second option, and asked @Pete the following question on Twitter:

The moment I sent this tweet with #OnePlusWinATrip I had no idea what would eventually happen: who I would meet, what I would all experience and that I would describe this adventure a few years later in 'My journey with OnePlus Story' .

Within a week after my submission for the contest I was approached via WhatsApp by @Trista W., it was actually via mail, but that didn't go entirely according to plan:p:
    Trista GMAIL WA.png
    The moment I received a WhatApp from @Trista W. and saw her first message my heart was racing.
    I kept telling myself that it was still too early for the announcement...

🛫 Lift-off:
    In the days after the announcement, I had a lot of contact with @Trista W. about the journey and how the planning would look like. I flew early in the morning on October 9, 2019 from Zestienhoven airport (Rotterdam The Hague Airport) to London City Airport with British Airways. My dad was kind enough to drop me at the airport, and start his working day very early.
    PicsArt_08-16-08.27.59.jpg
    Because London City Airport is in the middle of the city, aircrafts approaching the airport must do that with a steeper angle than an average airport. The aircraft must stay longer at a higher altitude to prevent as much nuisance as possible. Here's a video of an airplane landing at LCA made by British Airways:

🍱 Lunch:
    During my stay in London, I stayed at the Novotel London Excel. I was just freshening up (after all, I was already awake from 3am because of the early flight), when I got a WhatsApp from @Trista W. "Where are you? The Uber is coming in 3 minutes" Fortunately I was almost ready to leave. Our Uber driver took us to the restaurant for lunch with @Pete. At first I thought it was all a bit exciting, it was Pete Lau who I was going to meet! We ended up having a lovely lunch, talking about how @cdnfarmer and myself once chose OnePlus smartphones and about the future of OnePlus as we saw it.
    PicsArt_08-16-01.27.22.jpg
    I sat next to @Pete and opposite @Trista W. during lunch and I had the time of my life! (@Trista W. not in this picture)
    @cdnfarmer sat next to @Trista W. and opposite @Pete . (@cdnfarmer not in this picture)

After lunch we said goodbye, because Pete had to go to the venue where the 7T Launch Event would take place the next day.
    When I started writing for my OnePlus story, I still had a lot of details crystal clear in my memory. However, I did not remember the restaurant where we had lunch. Okay, the restaurant was built near the Themes and you had a view of the O2 arena at the other side of the river. Fortunately, I was able to find the restaurant with Google Maps and the GPS location data in my photos:
    SCOFF & BANTER Canary Warf and we had this outstanding view!
    [​IMG]
    What I liked so much is that the menu is still the same and I could even find my dishes that I ordered back then. Can you find the dish I ordered?
    SB_A_La_Carte_5311c6-1.png SB_A_La_Carte_5311c6-2.png SB_A_La_Carte_5311c6-3.png SB_A_La_Carte_5311c6-4.png SB_A_La_Carte_5311c6-5.png SB_A_La_Carte_5311c6-6.png SB_A_La_Carte_5311c6-7.png

Once we were outside the restaurant, @Trista W. ordered another Uber to take us back to the hotel. She gave us the choice to accompany her to the venue that same afternoon, to view the preparations. After all, there was plenty to see! Of course I wanted to see this and so we went to Magzine London that afternoon with @Trista W. and @dsmonteiro.

Once we got to Magazine London, @Trista W. & @dsmonteiro introduced me to so many different people that I (unfortunately) didn't remember many names. I do remember one name in particular, I just met him before his rehearsals: @Carl. We shook hands, briefly talked about OnePlus and what my story with OnePlus was (especially what my very first OnePlus was) before he had to move on. Together with @Trista W. and @dsmonteiro we looked at some parts of the rehearsals (of course I wasn't allowed to reveal anything I saw then), I went to look at the McLaren sports car that had just been driven in and we looked at all the construction of the light, sound and stages etc. After we had seen enough we went to the metro, we parted ways and I went into London looking for a real London Fish and Chips.

🚀 Launch:
    The day of the launch had arrived, but it wouldn't start until late in the afternoon (4:00 p.m.). A so-called community photo walk was suggested, the weather was nice and we wanted to see something of London. So @cdnfarmer, @hennes, @otto2 and myself set out to explore the city to capture as many beautiful photos in the city as possible. We had lovely weather and had a great time, half way we went to a cafe for a delicious cup of coffee. The photo walk was very successful!
    PicsArt_08-16-11.37.40.jpg
    A small selection of photos taken during the Community Photo Walk with @cdnfarmer, @hennes and @otto2 .

I promised @Trista W. to be at the venue by 3:20 pm so she could arrange our VIP passes to allow us to get in and find our seats. Fortunately, we arrived on time, were let in, received our goody bags and sat down in our VIP seats (this is still very cool to say).

PicsArt_08-17-12.03.44.jpg
    Pictures of the queue outside the venue, @Carl talks about "Why Do Users Keep Choosing OnePlus?" and the large OnePlus neon logo.

I will not talk about the content of the OnePlus 7T presentation (if you are interested, click open the spoiler where it says "have you not seen the OnePlus 7T yet?"! I can say that the experience was great, the atmosphere was just very good! After the presentation, @cdnfamer and I went to the VIP deck. After all we had access to this exclusive area, where the guests were spoiled with delicious drinks, snacks and the view.

All good things come to an end, including this launch day. It was time to head back to the hotel. But it should be clear that this is an experience that I will never forget!

chapter friends banner-02.png
    In the past 6+ years I have met a lot of great people! I even got to know some of these people in real life, isn't that great? I hope for the future, that OnePlus starts organizing offline OEF's and offline product launches again, so I can meet even more OnePlus community members in real life!

It's this beautiful community of people that makes me come back (almost) every day!

I won't make a list of names either, just the idea that I would start forgetting people... In recent years I have come across many different names, if we 'met' each other in recent years, please know that you also played an important role in my story. After all, it's the community that it's all about! I will only tag the people who appear in my story and those I promised in the comments that I would be notified when my story is finished.

chapter staff banner kopie-02.png
    I first met OnePlus staff prior and during the OnePlus 7T EU launch in London. I'm still amazed by the (big) names that are on this list!: @Pete, @Carl, @Trista W. & @dsmonteiro. Unfortunately there are so many more, but I simply forgot the names...

I've also met some OnePlus staff in:
    • Amsterdam (December, 2019). Great to be here! The new Star Wars (Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker) had just come out, I had actually already seen it the night before in the cinema in Hilversum, but it was with the OnePlus community?! I've met @Nigel Rijkhoek here, even @otto2 was visiting Amsterdam, on his motorbike, from Germany to watch the movie with 'the Dutch community'.
      IMG_20191219_174536__01_001.jpg IMG_20191219_172044_003.jpg IMG_20191219_174118_001.jpg IMG_20191219_171346_001.jpg
    • Rotterdam (July, 2021). I was in Rotterdam for the OnePlus Nord 2 tour. Despite the COVID-19 measures for the Netherlands and Belgium (these two countries were visited), it was a nice experience! Unfortunately I was not allowed to take pictures of the device, after all it was a week before the launch. Had some nice chats with several OnePlus staff @Pauline DM, @Thomas.deKoning, the brand-new Marketing Director (for Belgium & Luxembourg) and some more.
      It turns out that @Thomas.deKoning stood in line at the OnePlus 6T pop-up event, and he was also at the OnePlus Star Wars movie night, this time as OnePlus staff.
      IMG_20210714_161931_001.jpg
      Reels about the OnePlus Nord 2 tour (in Dutch): Episode 1 & Episode 2

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021

2. Moka69
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 6, 2021

Z1541647230933, atenaa and imtiazalum like this.
  3. Overzee
    The Showcase Reviewer Aug 6, 2021

Overzee , Aug 6, 2021 :
    Models as in 'OnePlus One x Doutzen Kroes', or did you mean something totally different with models;)?

4. Moka69
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 6, 2021

Moka69 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Aug 6, 2021 :
    Doutzen would be perfect 😂

5. SRD.
    Lollipop Aug 7, 2021

6. atenaa
    Lollipop Aug 9, 2021

atenaa , Aug 9, 2021 :
    @Overzee
    All your presentations have magnificent visual work! 🤩 Whoever comes across them really has to read them because they catch our eye! And this is another one!
    I can't wait to see the final result, but I have no doubt it will be close to perfect! 😉

7. Overzee
    The Showcase Reviewer Aug 9, 2021

Overzee , Aug 9, 2021 :
    Thanks so much for your kind words @atenaa, although I must admit I use existing (empty) templates and finish them in Adobe Illustrator. Can't take all the credit, but I like working with it. If you want I can tag you when I'm finished with my story? Have a nice evening!

8. atenaa
    Lollipop Aug 9, 2021

atenaa , Aug 9, 2021 :
    The adobe is a tool, but the imagination is all yours! 👏
    I think you can tag whoever is important to you (imho:oops:) and if I'm among those, I'm honored! 🥰

9. cdnfarmer
    Moderator, Photography Expert Moderator Aug 10, 2021

cdnfarmer , Aug 10, 2021 :
    Great job Overzee. The London trip was a great experience. Awesome meeting you too. Look forward to reading the rest of the story...

WakeAwake, hennes, puccellino and 6 others like this.
  10. AlienEye
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Aug 11, 2021

11. Overzee
    The Showcase Reviewer Aug 11, 2021

Overzee , Aug 11, 2021 :
    Haha, thanks mate🤩

12. Overzee

Overzee , Aug 11, 2021 :
    Thanks so much @cdnfarmer for your kind words. I'll be writing the London part in the next few days, my whole story will probably be finished by the end of the week.

WakeAwake, hennes, Gor.V and 4 others like this.
  13. Navdeep_Malik
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus TV U1S Aug 11, 2021

14. Overzee

Overzee , Aug 11, 2021 :
    Thanks man, BTW I saved the best for last (at least I think it is:cool:) so stay tuned!;)

Gor.V, Helder_DAlmeida and atenaa like this.
  15. BetiK
    Jelly Bean Aug 11, 2021

BetiK , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Aug 11, 2021 :
    Congratulations 👏 @Overzee your journey is really intense.
    It's hard to see someone migrating from Apple to Android. Usually people switch to the same brand.

Maybe it was just luck that delay in delivery. More than an interesting story you have great writing skills. I don't want to miss the second chapter.

16. Navdeep_Malik
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus TV U1S Aug 11, 2021

Navdeep_Malik , Aug 11, 2021 :
    awesome, waiting to get it published soon :)

17. Overzee

Overzee , Aug 11, 2021 :
    It's been quite the journey indeed! Thanks for the beautiful compliment:oops:, I'll keep you posted when it's complete;)

18. Girish.Pranav
    Jelly Bean Aug 11, 2021

19. Overzee

Overzee , Aug 11, 2021 :
    Thanks man, it wil be in the same post. Just started writing for part 3: lift-off, lunch and launch. :cool:

Gor.V, Helder_DAlmeida and atenaa like this.
  20. Technical SuranaJi
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 11, 2021

Technical SuranaJi , via OnePlus Community App , Aug 11, 2021 :
    The thread is awesome @Overzee .....and I personally liked that part where you mentioned about your OnePlus One which is still working. OnePlus One was such a great phone.
    I also have a OnePlus 2 which is also still working but I don't use it a lot. But it reminds me of the time when it was launched and the hype which was created...man it was just awesome

Helder_DAlmeida and atenaa like this.