annoyances with the 7T

1. ixion1
    Cupcake Jan 25, 2020

ixion1 , Jan 25, 2020 :
    So I have been searching for a while and I don't see something extremely close to these issues.

I recently upgraded to a 7T after my 3T gave the ghost and I have to say, I am kind of disappointed in some of its features.
    This is a stock phone with zero tinkering and I would like to keep it like that.

Zen Mode: please, I just want to uninstall this garbage from the phone and no, I don't want to root it or anything. At least make it so that it can be disabled which was a feature that an upgrade removed.

Permanent navigation bar: please let this be a thing, I don't want apps to be on full screen mode and then need to swipe up to show the bar, it is a stupid idea. At least let me control which apps can take advantage of this "feature". Before someone suggest navigation gestures, thanks but no thanks.

Other than that...the phone is fine, too bad there is nothing in it that makes me happy to have it over other phones other than the price which is good for what it is.

This is my third OnePlus phone as I also had the original OnePlus phone (still works btw) and might be my last...maybe I am getting too old for this.

dalekrebs likes this.
  2. meatandy
    Oreo Jan 25, 2020

meatandy , Jan 25, 2020 :
    Your suggestions would be better received here...
    https://forums.oneplus.com/feedback/

ixion1 likes this.
  3. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Jan 25, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Jan 25, 2020 :
    Buttons & gestures -> Navigation bar & gestures -> Back, Home, Recents

As for Zen, I have no idea what that is... yet.

Richard

4. ixion1
    Cupcake Jan 26, 2020

ixion1 , Jan 26, 2020 :
    1579998010379.jpg
    That is on and also irrelevant to the issue

Zen Mode is basically a virtual nanny that will tell you that you have been using the phone too much and there is no way of disabling or uninstalling that crap unless you either root your phone or use adb and I rather not tinker with it. Be thankful that they have not introduced that garbage to your phone.

5. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Jan 26, 2020

GeekOnTheHill , Jan 26, 2020 :
    I just checked, and I do have Zen mode. It hasn't chimed in with any recommendations yet, however. Does denying it any permissions silence it?

Possibly it's dependent on that other infamous nanny, Digital Wellbeing. Denying it usage access and all other permissions has that annoyance quietly sitting in the corner and coloring. That one won't go away with ADB, by the way, at least not when I tried.

As for the navigation bar, I'm unclear what it is you're unhappy with. The bar is there. Is it disappearing? (On mine, it stays put.)

Richard

6. ixion1
    Cupcake Jan 26, 2020

ixion1 , Jan 26, 2020 :
    At least in my phone, it is impossible to deny permissions to it. I tried :(

on mine it disappears on app that are "full screen" like YouTube or most games.
    you then have to swipe up from the bottom so that it will appear momentarily.
    The idea is to give you more screen real state but the execution is terrible and annoying that I wish it could be disabled.

7. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Jan 26, 2020

Yeah, I see that now. It hasn't said a word, though, so I'm thinking maybe it's dependent on Digital Wellbeing (to which permission can be denied, at least on my phone).

Must be a setting somewhere. I don't play (nor have) any games, and I usually view YouTube in the browser; but GPS Test and Magic Earth in full-screen (as well as YouTube full-screen in Chrome) all retain the nav bar.

ss1.jpg

ss2.jpg

ss3.jpg

Richard

8. ixion1
    Cupcake Jan 26, 2020

ixion1 , Jan 26, 2020 :
    1580001124797.jpg
    Youtube app on my phone.

I normally use the app, not the browser.

disabling the well-being thing hasn't shut it up in mine, I get notifications all the time and even worse, sometimes they are even wrong.

9. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Jan 26, 2020

In Display -> Apps to display in Fullscreen , the apps I'm using are all selected as "Default" rather than "Full Screen." That's probably to avoid the notch area, but maybe it will also restore the nav bar?

As for Zen, if it starts chiming in, I may have to root...

Richard

10. ixion1
    Cupcake Jan 26, 2020

ixion1 , Jan 26, 2020 :
    Naw, I tried that already mate. that only controls the notch, which interestingly doesn't bother me at all.

it is such a bonkers decision to just hide the navigation bar and take away power from the users.

11. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Jan 26, 2020

Or not.

Code:
    .\adb shell pm disable-user com.oneplus.brickmode
    Package com.oneplus.brickmode new state: disabled-user

And done.

zen.jpg

I really have no patience for that crap.

Richard

12. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Jan 26, 2020

I guess I got lucky and did something that planted the nav bar more firmly on my screen than my lazy brother-in-law in my guest room.

I'll toss out any other ideas if they occur to me.

Richard

13. NumberSix
    Gingerbread Jan 26, 2020

NumberSix , Jan 26, 2020 :
    I have had my 7t since October and Zen Mode has not bothered me once, that said the day i got the phone i also turned off usage access for Digital Wellbeing so maybe that has something to do with it.

GeekOnTheHill and ixion1 like this.
  14. GeekOnTheHill
    Honeycomb Jan 26, 2020

Yes, that does appear to be the case. I came across this screen in the course of learning about Zen Mode last night.

zen2.jpg

So at least to some extent, Zen mode depends on Digital Wellbeing, which I should have known already because I did spend a lot of time on xda before buying this phone. But that little "feature" somehow evaded my notice.

I disabled Zen Mode in ADB because it was such a blatant violation of Asimov's Second Law that it just had to be done. Asimov himself would have insisted on it. It was my duty.

Yes, I understand that some would point to the "except where such orders would conflict with the First Law" clause to justify the exception, but that's a weak argument unless one can prove that the "come to harm" requirement of the first law were satisfied merely by using the device for more than some arbitrary time period.

I can overlook there not being a GUI method to disable Zen Mode because, after all, both Digital Wellbeing and Zen Mode could point to the "protect its own existence" clause of the Third Law; and as long as they can be disabled in ADB, they are technically in compliance. So while I was in there anyway, I disabled Digital Wellbeing, as well.

I'm way past the age of needing a nanny, and not quite at the point of needing one again.

Richard