Another Oneplus Fiasco!

1. zzkoolguy
    Cupcake Jun 4, 2016

zzkoolguy , Jun 4, 2016 :
    With due respects to you Sir, here are my 2 cents. The poster didn't post in the right context, please read below as to how OnePlus is at fault - again OnePlus is doing great, no doubt about that. Please try to calmly understand the frustration people go through when this happens -

If people think Amazon was at fault?

Amazon is not at all at fault and the website worked fine. When you click on a "Add To Cart", you request basically gets queued up to the web-server for processing so it was good to note that the website never went down unlike Flipkart (another Amazon rival) in the past. It processed your request when it was meant to be but probably other request went in before you so even waitlists were full."

Its OnePlus's fault !!!

So here is why its OnePlus's fault - "India has become a marketplace for cheap marketing strategies often promoted by Amazon and Flipkart alike. What OnePlus did resulted in a disappointment to a lot of people and probably me as well. I have a OnePlusOne and I am happy with the phone. I would have probably upgraded if I got a VR out of excitement probably :) Now some facts:

1. Released just 30k VR sets in a country like India, are you Joking? You might find that many users in a single IT town in the country.

2. Had this split on two days means 15k on each day. So more Indians are about to get disappointed.

3. Best strategy would have been to simple bundle up these VRs on a pre-order for the device wherein you deliver the VRs first and then the phone after release on 14-June. This way you not only secure the purchase and prevent the hoarders and genuine fans get the VR also to watch the Loop event.

4. I am an angry disappointed fan myself and i have decided not to buy OnePlus 3 for now because of the distasteful event. (I might buy also :p given the reviews but thankfully not out of excitement since i had the VR)

Remember, nothing really disappoints people where they have not invested time and effort. I had a reminder put on. I had two android setup with Amazon app to just click this one button and i took an early break from work to do that. So, terrible experience from a gem of a company.

Advise to OnePlus: You are a promising company and i am big fan. Please don't let you PR/Marketing screw this up for you.

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Jun 4, 2016

dsmonteiro , Jun 4, 2016 :
    Sorry but I wholeheartedly disagree with you.

There were only 30,000 VR headsets for all territories (aside India) and you don't see people complaining like this.

The headset is a FREE, promotional item that OnePlus gave away to promote the OnePlus 3 launch. They are losing money in each and every single headset they give.

Some people were able to get it, others like you weren't. It's like complaining that you bought a lottery ticket but someone else got the prize.

As OnePlus already said, you can just get another VR headset to assist to the launch.

0xTJ, ayaorei, otto2 and 3 others like this.
  3. Deepak.Si
    KitKat Jun 4, 2016

Deepak.Si , Jun 4, 2016 :
    Here you go buddy
    https://www.zauba.com/import-oneplus-loop-vr-hs-code.html

Untitled.png
    There was only 5000 VR's Imported from China .
    I know that this is even less for the country like India and since sale was for two days and gonna happen again in few days... so i guess they putted only 2500 & saved another 2500 for the other day (7th).... i was logged in at Amazon app since 11:50 ...Consistently Refreshing the the Product page....but was empty handed in the last...you can understand that this was a promotional thing and they probably losing 399/- INR with each VR.....So you can't expect them for too much of a product that they're providing for promotion.

Problem would have been same i think ....Too many preorders and ONLY 5000 VR (India) & If worldwide then 30000.
    Since this VR is only meant for Promotion and they're Providing it free & not selling it at actual price point.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016

4. Ko sat
    Cupcake Jun 4, 2016

Ko sat , Jun 4, 2016 :
    wow, best not have an opinion about how bad OnePlus are dealing with this launch. You will get shot down. ...

5. Manas Eapen
    Jelly Bean Jun 4, 2016

Manas Eapen , Jun 4, 2016 :
    I think you don't understand the scale of people in India, I think in India there might be more Oneplus fans than the whole of Portugal's population. India isn't a developed country, people fight with tooth and nail for money here. After all what did you expect from a country that was looted by the Europe for over 100 years ? Grace and consistency ?

The headset is free, agreed. Free for the customer. But like you said it is a 'promotional item' which means it is used to promote. They are not 'loosing' any money, that is the price they pay for the promotion, I think Oneplus has the same view.

'Some people' were able to buy ? I think that is when the proportion is atleast 1:1000. This wasn't the case.

I love Oneplus and I am willing to forgive their mistakes because I believe in them. I believe the honest effort they put in. But I disagree with your views, that's all.

6. TheRealProcyon
    Jelly Bean Jun 4, 2016

TheRealProcyon , Jun 4, 2016 :
    Portugal has 10.46 million residents, if you wanted a number which was a bit bigger you should've said The Netherlands (17 million), while our country is smaller... But there might be a lot of residents in India 1.252 billion, you had even more headsets understand that those cost around 10$ or more, and you guys pay 1 Rupee + shipping, which is less than 1 cent or Eurocent. We paid €6,90 shipping, you paid less if I recall correctly. But your country has the biggest population density (I know) but there are many people in your country, too, who didn't hear about 1+, more than you would think. Your country has the most headsets, too 1/6th of all. So don't brag okay. The rest of the world (to where 1+ ships (population of around 4 billion (or 3 billion) got the rest, but less per country)

otto2 and dsmonteiro like this.
  7. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Jun 4, 2016

dsmonteiro , Jun 4, 2016 :
    So? But unlike what happened in India, Portugal didn't have an exclusive stock, so I was trying to get the headset same as the rest of all the countries were OnePlus is present, meaning that the total population equals or even surpasses India's population. So the scale is is pretty much the same.
    How is that even remotely relevant to this conversation?

otto2 likes this.
  8. Manas Eapen
    Jelly Bean Jun 4, 2016

I didn't mean to disrespect Portugal, my comparison was to give an idea about the scale of population here in India.

The 1 rupee is for the very few lucky ones. For all others, it's same around the world.

Bragging ? No.

I don't understand how you would know what I think (??)

9. Manas Eapen
    Jelly Bean Jun 4, 2016

I can't be sure about the numbers in other countries around the globe, so for the sake of argument I will agree with you.

You said, why so much complaining from India unlike other countries. Just replying why.

10. TheRealProcyon
    Jelly Bean Jun 4, 2016

TheRealProcyon , Jun 4, 2016 :
    I meant that India is bigger, but there are a lot of people who still have no internet or smartphone there. Also we have (in the rest of the world) on a lot of places internet, it's sad you don't got one, but I had for the first time luck (here in NL). The sad part is that there were few headsets given out, but that makes them special, you know?

11. Manas Eapen
    Jelly Bean Jun 4, 2016

Yes indeed to be chosen from a few makes them special.

I don't mind buying one for myself for the retail price, I just had disagreement over what Mr dsmonteiro was saying.

12. Fraser
    Gingerbread Jun 5, 2016

Fraser , Jun 5, 2016 :
    I wish the forum v2 had a way to downvote or block certain users and threads like this.

otto2 likes this.
  13. HassanQz
    Gingerbread Jun 5, 2016

HassanQz , Jun 5, 2016 :
    well that usually happens when you have a million trying to order 30000 products.
    the demand is much more than supply

otto2 likes this.
  14. Two
    Honeycomb Jun 8, 2016

Two , Jun 8, 2016 :
    I understand your frustration, but, if the product went out of stock, it's because people found an "add to cart" button...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016

ayaorei, sfomin and otto2 like this.
  15. f1982
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 8, 2016

f1982 , Jun 8, 2016 :
    You've got that completely backwards. In this example, Amazon is the supermarket and OnePlus is Coke. Amazon is not a supplier of OnePlus, OnePlus is a supplier of Amazon.
    But to be honest, Amazon is one of the biggest online retail establishments on the globe, with massive resources and a global reach. If Oneplus go to the best available to sell and distribute it, and they mess up somehow, how have OnePlus made any mistakes? It's not like they asked their uncle Tony who' is 'good with computer things, according to his mother' to build them a website to sell something on. They went to Amazon here.

But still the main point of your original argument is false. The fact that something given away free, in limited numbers to drum up a bit of media interest 'sold' out within 1 minute is really not surprising. Nobody has made any mistakes here, at all.

otto2 likes this.
  16. girishb86
    Honeycomb Jun 8, 2016

girishb86 , Jun 8, 2016 :
    Wow, all this hullabaloo over a promotional VR set that is not even that good?! So what if you didn't get it? I didn't get it either but that's not going to lower my faith in OnePlus or upset me enough to not buy the phone (even if it's good). I have already narrowed down on a decent VR set that will last me longer than any promotional set that OnePlus can come up with. Sure it'll cost me more but it's definitely going to be better than the OnePlus set.

As for OP losing money on this, no they're not. They are just redirecting their marketing costs towards promotions such as these. And it's still cheaper than what Samsung or LG spend on their marketing strategies.

barb and maxxam23 like this.
  17. Hassan_Abdul
    KitKat Jun 8, 2016

Hassan_Abdul , Jun 8, 2016 :
    I hope that one day may never come: The day when everybody that did not get the VR stuff is opening a thread to complain ;-)
    No matter if you are Indian, Marsian, Mermaid, German or whatsoever either you got one or not, that simple

Btw: I didn't get one, too.. and I forgot to cry

apersonnamedmike, otto2 and jadenhau like this.
  18. ScareYa
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 9, 2016

19. codmakr
    Gingerbread Jun 9, 2016

codmakr , Jun 9, 2016 :
    Population India 1.2 Billion people = 5.000 VR`s Chance to get one is 1:240.000
    Population Earth 7.2 Billion people = 30.000 VR`s Chance to get one is 1:240.000

And now please tell why you should get a higher Chance as anybody else?

Two, apersonnamedmike and sfomin like this.
  20. drrishabh
    Gingerbread Jun 9, 2016

drrishabh , Jun 9, 2016 :
    i just wish they have lots of oneplus 3 stocks. else this type of frustration is gonna be seen more frequently amongst the buyers. no invite ensures more people will buy oneplus 3 then ever before but well still it needs to be stock for them to buy it.