Answered - Can we charge OP7Pro with a higher Watt Charger like 65Watt

1. hardikrdesai
    Gingerbread Nov 11, 2019

hardikrdesai , Nov 11, 2019 :
    Hi,
    I have tried searching the forum and have got a response on lower power rating charger for e.g. 5V / 2.1 Amps, but i question was specifically with a higher power rating charger. I have an HP elitebook 360 which comes with a USB C charger with following ratings
    65W Max (5V/3A or 9V/3A or 10V/5A or 12V/5A or 15V/4.33A or 20V/3.25A). I believe the charger will change the configuration based on the end point .

My question is can I use this charger to charge OP7Pro? If yes, are there any down-sides to it?

Thanks in advance for answering.

Kind Regards,
    Hardik.

vijay9996 and P1604520180683 like this.
  2. Melkuse Daniel
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 11, 2019

Melkuse Daniel , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Nov 11, 2019 :
    Bro, never try this, even if you use the 65w charger the phone only can take upto 30w max which has been restricted in both hardware and software.

Moreover if any software or hardware issue occurs then the device will no more restrict the current flow that cause higher current flow or fluctuations which may lead to battery damage or higher chance to explode.

So always try to use in box or original chargers and stay away from such danger.

saikumar_ likes this.
  3. Liehjan
    Marshmallow Nov 11, 2019

Liehjan , Nov 11, 2019 :
    You can use the charger, I sometimes use my macbook pro charger when I don't have my warp charger with me...

4. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Nov 11, 2019

Best Answer
    dsmonteiro , Nov 11, 2019 :
    Power Delivery Type-C compliant chargers should be able to adjust the output based on the device they are charging. This is part of the PD standard. Still, there is a risk involved in this and you should use the provided charger instead.

hardikrdesai and Bouncer71 like this.
  5. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Nov 11, 2019

dsmonteiro , Nov 11, 2019 :
    Sorry, but this is not true. It will not "definitely blow the resistor" as you state. As you can see above, @Liehjan has did it in the past. PD devices are designed to allow this.

hardikrdesai, Bouncer71 and Liehjan like this.
  6. StopItRawr
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 11, 2019

StopItRawr , Nov 11, 2019 :
    If it is USB PD compliant, no it won't.

It'll just charge at 10w (5Vx2A) like the spec states it should.

VOOC/Warp Charge is only usable with the official OP stuff, other equipment will just default to standard USB charging.

7. Liehjan
    Marshmallow Nov 11, 2019

Liehjan , Nov 11, 2019 :
    As I already said earlier, been using a macbook pro charger with my 7pro for the last 4 months.. My phone is still completely fine and not damaged in any way!

Bouncer71 likes this.
  8. ckithika
    Gingerbread Nov 11, 2019

Bouncer71 likes this.
  9. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Nov 11, 2019

Bouncer71 , Nov 11, 2019 :
    exactly...!

10. hardikrdesai
    Gingerbread Nov 13, 2019

hardikrdesai , Nov 13, 2019 :
    Hi All,

Thank you very much for all your responses. This helps. I did try to charge the phone using the 65 W charger and it charges normally. I ran the "Ampere" app and could see the phone was charging at about 1.5 to 1.7 Amps with 4Volts. I guess this is normal. I have seen the phone charge at normal rate. The phone does not get heated when charged using the 65 W charger. I do not know the internals of this phone but my common logic from electronics says that the resistor will blow if it heats up. it heats up if you pass either more voltage / current thru it. From the Ampere app above, i can see the voltage and current supplied and drawn are under the ranges and there is no heat, so i am quite confident that internal resistor may not blow up.

Having said this, i have now charged the phone multiple times in last 2 days and have not seen any downside.

I hope my inputs & the inputs above helps other who are looking for such information.

I would now request the admin to close the thread if possible.

Thank You All!!

vijay9996 and dsmonteiro like this.