[ANSWERED / CLOSED] OnePlus 5 dead, won't turn on, no charging LED

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heatman87
    Cupcake Nov 28, 2020

Heatman87 , Nov 28, 2020 :
    Hello everyone,

Recently my OnePlus 5 was on low battery at night, so I plugged it into the charger. When I woke up in the morning, the phone was dead and I could not turn it on anymore. This has been the state since then, I have not been able to turn it on and the phone also does not show a LED when plugged in to the charger etc.

I have already tried a few things mentioned on the forum, such as different combinations of the volume and power buttons, but nothing worked so far.

Mainly I am trying to figure out now how determine whether either the charging port is dead, or the battery, or the motherboard:
    - If simply the battery was dead (and nothing else), would the phone then show an LED when plugging it into the charger, or not?
    - If the charging port was dead (and nothing else), such that it did not charge and just shut down on its own, would I be able to power it on at least for a second or so before it dies again?

Just trying to figure out if the motherboard is actually dead, or if there is still some hope for me. Thank you very much!

2. Bhargavesque
    Honeycomb Nov 29, 2020

Best Answer
    Bhargavesque , via OnePlus 6 , Nov 29, 2020 :
    Let me just put it out there that I am no professional in this; I just repair devices for myself and friends as a hobby. So take this with a pinch of salt.

I generally just order a new battery online and see if replacing old battery works. It's a hit and miss method but 8 out of 10 times it does work.
    Until the battery arrives, I leave the seemingly 'dead' device to charge overnight. Sometimes brings it back, atleast temporarily. It helps if you are able to disconnect and reconnect the battery once before you leave it to charge.

There are multiple guides online on how to disassemble/reassemble the parts. Go over the risks and steps involved and decide for yourself. I would still suggest going to the repair centre.

Goodluck. :)

3. miranda.terschegget
    Cupcake Nov 28, 2020

4. Bhargavesque
    Honeycomb Nov 28, 2020

Bhargavesque , via OnePlus 6 , Nov 28, 2020 :
    Unless you have the necessary equipment and skills to take the phone apart and check each part for damage, I'd suggest you take it to the service centre and let them have a look.

5. Heatman87
    Cupcake Nov 28, 2020

Heatman87 , Nov 28, 2020 :
    I have a good amount of equipment here - I would definitely be curious how to check each part for damage, and to understand the indication of which part (charging port, battery, motherboard) is damaged. Looking forward to your advice!

6. Heatman87
    Cupcake Nov 29, 2020

Heatman87 , Nov 29, 2020 :
    Thank you so much, I greatly appreciate that. Just one thing to verify: Is it correct that a dead battery can actually be the reason why the tiny LED also completely remains off when plugging in the charger? Because that is the case with my phone (OnePlus 5) - it does not turn on but it also does not even show that tiny LED when charging. Just verifying that this behavior can actually be caused by a dead battery.

7. Bhargavesque
    Honeycomb Nov 29, 2020

Bhargavesque , via OnePlus 6 , Nov 29, 2020 :
    That is honestly dependent on how the internals are done. I had a Son Xperia with a dead battery. The red light would turn on when plugged in, but nothing else happened. (I once got that phone to just barely turn on till the Sony logo and then it died again.) At the same time I have repaired another phone with a dead battery. The LED on that wouldn't turn on whatsoever before the repair.

8. MaddyCh9
    Gingerbread Dec 14, 2020

9. Neeraj_Porwal
    Honeycomb Dec 14, 2020

10. Heatman87
    Cupcake Dec 16, 2020

Heatman87 , Dec 16, 2020 :
    In the US, there are no walk-in service centers as far as I know. One has to send in the phone. Secondly, I think people here are genuinely interested in understanding the details of how the phone works.

11. Neeraj_Porwal
    Honeycomb Dec 17, 2020

Neeraj_Porwal , via OnePlus 5 , Dec 17, 2020 :
    I have one more idea for u

Service center is the best u should to go there..

Maybe

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2020

12. John Joji
    Cupcake Dec 17, 2020

13. gaster
    Lollipop Moderator Dec 18, 2020

gaster , Dec 18, 2020 :
    Hi friend. In this case even if you mentioned that you tried some button combinations, try to press and hold the power button for about 12 seconds and if you feel any vibration then release it. If again it will not work, I would suggest you to talk with the live chat OnePlus customer support here https://oneplus/com/support and explain them what's happening. So they can suggest you and lead you how to send your device to the service center if nothing else will not work.

I am closing now this thread as it is answered and if you need anything else feel free to send me a PM here. Thank you!