Past [ANSWERED]OnePlus AMA S/W &H/W

1. YASHPLUSONE
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 4, 2018

YASHPLUSONE , Nov 4, 2018 :
    1541455076058.jpg

[Your Questions Answered]
    Q1. How did Oneplus come into existence ?
    ans: it all started with 6 people sitting on a table with the company of a coffee and an iphone in their hands, with an aim to disrupt the smartphone industry. on asking people weather they would buy an android phone their reaction was very plain they did not even care, it was all because the attention apple paid towards the smallest details when considering a product was something no other manufacturer ever did, and we thought that if we made something similar paying attention to the small things just the way apple does we could achieve wonders. so the aim with oneplus was FLAGSHIP KILLER.

Q2. Why are you crazy with software?
    ans.considering software we feel that it is something users interact with every second while using a smartphone and we wanted to make that experience flawless and smooth, it all started with cyanogen it was an instant hit our users loved the experience and the flexiblity that came with it but we realised that we had to put something more substantial and original to get that hold with that idea Oxygen OS was born, as of now i dont need to tell you what oxygen os is it is the most refined and optimised stock android experience.

Q3. OnePlus 2 and X thioughts?
    ans.
    I (shawn) joined oneplus during the launch of the oneplus 2 and we were pretty confident / arrogant with previous success of our devices we forgot who are users were and we went off the line there was criticism for using the processor and our customer support wasnt the best then we also skipped on the nfc. "but it was a lesson learnt and committed ourselves to release only flagship features and from then on all the phones starting off the oneplus 3 we included only flagship features! and put in all our effort with the foundation of the FSE TEAM.

Q4. what is with the T models?
    ans. waiting for a new technology for one whole year is not fair on our user behalf.
    also the T models are not compulsory, when we feel that there is new technology or a new hardware feature that our user deserve we introduce the t model,
    as we want to give the latest technology in the hands of our users as soon as it is available.

Q5.why the oneplus 6T?
    ans.
    as we have always said never settle we dont want our users to be left behind,
    in the instance of a oneplus 6t we felt that it was time to introduce the latest trend the under display finger print scanner, we tried to work with under display fingerprint scanner right from the oneplus 5t ,i was incharge of it (shawn) but we felt that the technology hasn't matured completely and needs a lot of modifications it did not qualify our tests and we reached to a conclusion that this is something our users dont need, with the oneplus 6t we worked tirelessly testing out 100's of underdisplay fingerprint scanners and when we found the perfect match we further tried to shave off milliseconds until we finally arrived at the fastest indisplay fingerprint scanner technology 0.34s and we are not stopping now.

Q6. Oneplus 6t does not have a notification led while Xiaomi mi mix 2 has a camera and a notification led in the bottom bezel why didnt you place it somewhere?
    ans.
    OLIVER- the basic idea with trading off with features occupying screen on the front side of the phone is increasing the screen to body ratio, taking something and placing it elsewhere just for aesthetic purposes is not a wise thing to do. the notification led was removed to make the notch as small as possible and if you see zack's jerry rig everything's video you will realize the amount of component we have placed around such a small notch is incredible!

Q7. can we use the amoled display and replicate the notification led?
    ans. while it is a good alternative considering it is an amoled display and we can light up individual pixels, the stuff you lose while using the feature is not worth it. for display pixels to light up the cpu must be constantly running in the background and we dont feel that losing on that much amount of battery is a wise move. there are apps that will help you with the led. also to accommodate the led light we had to sacrifice the ambient sensor and proximity sensor and we feel that the sensors are more important than the led light. we have improved our ambient display to compensate for the lack of the led.

Q8. Why did you do away with the sandstone back?
    ans.
    the reason we changed our design from sandstone to glass and metal is because we want to be in the current trend and give our users a more popular and a premium feel when they hold their device, staying too old fashioned is not a true definition of a flagship but if users still insist on classic look and feel we have sandstone covers for our devices. *a live poll was conducted in the room over how many prefer glass over other materials = all hand go up!*

Q9. Can we change the color of the navigation bar?
    ans.
    the navigation bar has 2 colors and we have tuned it to be in sync with the contents of the screen as far as changing the colour we will have to wait for google to release such features for better flexibility.

Q11. Will there be a silk white variant for the oneplus 6t?
    ans.
    *laughs uncontrollably*
    no....... *laughs uncontrollably* while looking at the covered thunder purple variant completely covered
    1541454583454.jpg
    that's how you hide your thunder purple variant?
    @Oliver Z. @Shawn the L ? [e]1f60f[/e]

no we cannot answer questions on upcoming products, such rumors can give rise to serious consequences so pass.

Q12. Why did you stick with only 2 colours during launch of the 6t?
    ans.
    with supply chain and stock management it is very risky to have more number of storage variants and colours it is risky, we stick with minimum and premium variants.
    all while having the thunder purple in his hand.

Q13. Why was the always on display feature removed after roll out?
    ans.
    it was a last moment decision and we rolled out the feature but then realized that the impact the feature has on battery life is tragic and so we removed this feature,
    as far as the future is concerned e are still not sure weather to roll this feature, given that you users are insisting and also that battery capacity has increased with the oneplus 6t we might give it another thought! but this feature requires the chip to remain running at all times and thus it would consume a lot of battery.

Q14. Why no IP rating?
    ans.
    well, this question has been answered many times but let me ask you...
    do you know how much IP rating costs?
    -->$30
    hmmm hmm...

well many of our users believe that an IP rating is either free or inexpensive it is false it is a expensive process also the device has go through rigorous testing process... also time consuming, our aim is to provide a good experience to our users at low prices so we refrain from factors that my increase the price of our device.
    we have grabbed a device from the production line and tested it in water and we found out that it holds well in water.
    this does not mean our devices are not water resistant it can handle usage in the rain and also a drop in a puddle which nullifies the need of an expensive IP rating,
    the same goes with dolby atmos sound.

Q15. What is studio lighting? i expect it to do what the iphone does what is it?
    ans.
    our take with studio lighting is to take stunning picture with a single tap on the screen it is mistaken for portrait lighting but studio lighting feature replicates shots as if they were take in a studio, a better bokeh effect. and fine tuning pictures
    as far as iphone styled portrait lighting is concerned, in our survey we found out that this feature is not even used by iphone users on a large scale so such features wont be coming to oneplus phones anytime soon.

Q16. oneplus launcher has hidden space but why not secured?
    ans.
    it is in works will be there soon!

Q17. Can we have a bottom swiping notification panel?
    ans.
    one handed mode is there in case you cant reach up to the top of the phone use one handed mode we do not want to increase bloatware as bottom notification panel would interfere with gestures hence we want to keep the software experience near stock and snappy.

Q18. More fonts?
    ans.
    as stated above we want our software experience to be stock by adding more fonts it gets increasingly difficult to optimize individual software elements giving rise to more bugs something no one would want.

Q19.What is up with the processing of images? why does postprocessing smooth pictures and also why does the camera struggle with hdr?
    ans.
    *sample shots were clicked live and compared with shots from g cam apk*
    bug was found and immediately reported by shawn to his team.
    a fix would be out soon!

Q20. oneplus 5/T call wake issue
    ans:
    live demo was performed bug found reported. and i have personally spoken with the project operations team log files were sent an update will fix the issue soon.

Q21. loose or wobbly alert sliders on oneplus 6t
    ans.
    3 oneplus 6t's were selected at random and it was found out that one of the device had the reported issue, it was confirmed that this is a hardware issue and would require replacement of the alert slider or the entire device.
    *at the sole discretion of service engineer
    visit the service center for better information.
    [EDIT: IT IS PRETTY COMMON NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT]

Q22. BULLETS WIRELESS V2
    ans. NO COMMENTS
    @Shawn the L XD

Q23. oneplus 6t unlocking without fingerprint (smart unlock off and face unlock off)
    ans.
    bug hunters informed a fix on the way soon!

Q24. choppy video playback on pc (4k 60fps) also 3x speed playback on pc
    ans. bug identified to be fixed soon!

Thank you so much for all your questions also a big thank you to @Shawn the L and @Oliver Z. for answering all are questions and being with us there.

regards,
    @YASHPLUSONE

*the above information is true to the best of my knowledge. any discrepancies kindly DM

Hi all,
    OnePlus has always stood strong with the community, always building products hand in hand with the community.
    Today OnePlus is hosting meet the makers in Bengaluru with @Oliver Z. Head of product and @Shawn the L OXYGEN OS incharge.
    A discussion over key hardware and software elements, I am happy to join them. also as users you may have many questions which you seek answers too, you may have asked these before but they would have either never met the eyes of the makers or just went unanswered.
    On your behalf I would like to ask question when I am face to face with these people, do post your questions in the comments down below. I shall try to get answers to as many questions as possible.
    Regards,
    YASH

PS. before posting your questions kindly go through this thread to check weather the question had already be answered.
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/share-your-questions-in-the-oneplus-6t-ama.930500/
    Please post your questions latest by 4TH November 2018 5pm IST
    *Answers will be updated by 5th November 2018
    Hey guys,

[EDIT] [UPDATE]
    The minimalistic version of the open ears forum ended today pretty well!
    The discussion was nothing less than amazing it was a great pleasure on my personal behalf to have been able to get in touch the makers, @Shawn the L is an amazing guy! He answered every question with ease and never disappointed. he is also a great translator for his boss @Oliver Z. Who is not so well acquainted with English!
    The discussion started with a breif introduction from @Szymon K. and Shawn Liu which was followed by us shooting questions to the duo, Which in my opinion they handled pretty well!
    It was followed by snacks after which we could go and personally talk to each of them. Which cleared a few rumours as well as doubts regarding the products and upcoming technology!
    After which we all left satisfied carrying the bundle of new memories and friends we had just made
    Not to forget the copy of "You are Invited and a Never settle T-shirt"

Thank you for sharing your questions I have also picked up certain unanswered questions from the OnePlus 6t AMA thread I shall update this thread with all the questions and answers as soon as possible.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

2. YASHPLUSONE

buntycubal likes this.
  3. junkhkhan
    Cupcake Nov 4, 2018

junkhkhan , Nov 4, 2018 :
    op6t alert slider is lose, it wiggles when i touch it. ive had OnePlus devices in the oast but none had this kind of issue, is it something to be worried about?

4. GANAPATHI SUBRAMANYAM J
    Froyo Nov 4, 2018

GANAPATHI SUBRAMANYAM J , Nov 4, 2018 :
    in videos which I take in my OnePlus 6T in 4k 60fps. it gets stucked in my PC can u suggest me a better video player to play 4k videos in my PC !!

5. YASHPLUSONE

buntycubal likes this.
  6. YASHPLUSONE

which player do you use currently?

7. GANAPATHI SUBRAMANYAM J
    Froyo Nov 4, 2018

8. M.Maruf
    Donut Nov 4, 2018

M.Maruf , Nov 4, 2018 :
    phone is getting unlock without authentication of FP any suggestions how to lock and unlock device by using FP

9. GANAPATHI SUBRAMANYAM J
    Froyo Nov 4, 2018

GANAPATHI SUBRAMANYAM J , Nov 4, 2018 :
    switch off face unlock !

10. YASHPLUSONE

11. M.Maruf
    Donut Nov 4, 2018

M.Maruf , Nov 4, 2018 :
    already switched off
    1541325948183.jpg
    can u see at bottom icon showing unlocked but if I swipe up screen it's getting unlock without FP authentication

12. AtulLautrey
    Cupcake Nov 4, 2018

AtulLautrey , Nov 4, 2018 :
    hi, please help me on Camera for one plus 6t, only for slow motion option there is a line appearing which usually you see while recording a TV from phone.. can any one suggest what needs to be done..

YASHPLUSONE likes this.
  13. sampath_sam
    Cupcake Nov 4, 2018

sampath_sam , Nov 4, 2018 :
    sir i want to buy oneplus6 8gb ram with 128gb memory mirror black but its not available in amazon plz hlp me

YASHPLUSONE likes this.
  14. YASHPLUSONE

looks like face unlock is on
    it recognised your face and unlocked

buntycubal likes this.
  15. M.Maruf
    Donut Nov 4, 2018

M.Maruf , Nov 4, 2018 :
    now manually when touched the icon of lock at bottom of screen then it got locked and after using FP it's getting unlock
    1541326162204.jpg

YASHPLUSONE likes this.
  16. YASHPLUSONE

the phone is out of stock and does not look like it is going to return.
    try visiting Croma they do have stocks [e]1f60a[/e]

17. M.Maruf
    Donut Nov 4, 2018

M.Maruf , Nov 4, 2018 :
    I have disabled the face unlock option

YASHPLUSONE likes this.
  18. B_Wrath
    Nougat Nov 4, 2018

B_Wrath , Nov 4, 2018 :
    You have a smart lock enabled... Turn it off..

19. YASHPLUSONE

that happens sometimes when you have to manually unlock your device,
    stay clear of the proximity sensor

buntycubal likes this.
  20. GANAPATHI SUBRAMANYAM J
    Froyo Nov 4, 2018

YASHPLUSONE likes this.