[Answers Live] Join our OnePlus 9RT 5G & Buds Z2 AMA – Ask Me Anything

1. Daniel D.
    Community Team Staff Member Jan 21, 2022

Daniel D. , Jan 21, 2022 :
    Martini AMA Banner Final 1080 520 3.jpeg

Hello everyone,

Now that the secret identity of David M has been revealed in this thread following the OnePlus 9RT 5G launch in India, we now have a Community AMA to help answer all other unanswered questions about the freshly-released OnePlus 9RT 5G. As usual, we've invited people from multiple relevant teams, to cover as many areas as possible.

So, please, join me in welcoming our guests for this edition of OnePlus 9RT 5G AMA:
    You can submit your question until January 26, 22:00 PM HKT. Then, our guests will start to questions from you on January 28. Feb 2-5
    Rules:

• We will give away 10 Martini Merch swag (POC Jacket and Drawstring Bag) to users whose questions are addressed. To help ensure quality entries, we'll only reward posts with more than 20 words.
    • Your question should be related to the OnePlus 9RT 5G or OnePlus Buds Z2
    • Remember to tag the relevant staff member you want to ask your question to.
    • Even though the search function isn't the best, please do try to use the search function via "OnePlus community *Enter Question*" and you might find some answers to your question!
    • Considering your questions may have already been asked by other Community friends, we recommend you to give those questions likes instead of creating a duplicated one.
    • Standard terms and conditions apply.

2. Daniel D.
    Community Team Staff Member Jan 31, 2022

Stickied Post
    Daniel D. , Jan 31, 2022 :
    Hello guys,

Apologies for the delay, the answers are still being reviewed (Spring Festival holidays are happening)
    The first batch of answers should be covered by this week.

3. Charlotte C.
    Staff Staff Member Feb 1, 2022

Stickied Post
    Charlotte C. , Feb 1, 2022 :
    Hi @Yash Pratap Singh., thank you for your question. One of the biggest reasons was feedback. We noticed and received feedback from quite a few users that most users still heavily rely on regular USB Type-A ports on their day to day. Since the cable doubles as a data cable, having a Type-A and Type-C cable allows more users to make full use of the cable, not just for charging but also to back up data.

4. Charlotte C.

Stickied Post
    Hi, thank you for your question. It's mainly because this 2MP Macro lens has better depth, helping you to focus the object easier, which is a major pain point when it comes to macro photography.

5. Charlotte C.

Stickied Post
    Hi @Nipu_1998,
    Thank you for your question, please check the key differences below
    1. Size upgrade from 6.55inch of OP9 to 6.62inch of 9RT
    2. The display luminous material upgrade from E3 of OP9 to E4 of 9RT helps to reduce harmful blue light and save power.
    3. Touch panel sampling rate upgraded to 300hz/600hz, gives you a more responsive panel, especially at the game scenario.

6. Charlotte C.

Stickied Post
    Hi, thank you for your compliment. There will be no other edition, unfortunately.
    But I do suggest Nano Silver if you are considering buying one. This color is so bright and vivid, it's definitely my favorite.

7. Charlotte C.

Stickied Post
    With a more comprehensive product range and more localized products, we are now better able to meet the specific needs of users in different markets.

8. Charlotte C.

Stickied Post
    While not certified, we made sure the device is splash proof.
    We do have proper color calibration and 9RT supports sRGB and 100% P3. Could you give more details about the problem you mentioned?

9. Charlotte C.

Stickied Post
    Hi, thank you for your question. The Insufficient space inside the phone is the main reason instead of the cost. It's an uneasy choice between USB 3.1 and a thinner phone.

10. Leo Lei
    Accessory Product Manager Staff Member Feb 1, 2022

Stickied Post
    Leo Lei , Feb 1, 2022 :
    This is a good question. I'd like to highlight one specific challenge: Providing the same level of noise reduction on the Z2 as on the Pro. 40dB noise reduction is not easy to implement, especially at this price range. This is why the Z2 is the strongest noise-cancelling headset in the INR 5000 range.

11. Leo Lei

Stickied Post
    Leo Lei , Feb 1, 2022 :
    About 1: Because the Z2 has a noise reduction function that will take up the long-press interaction, we are also considering how to make the device switch back.

12. Leo Lei

Stickied Post
    Leo Lei , Feb 1, 2022 :
    As you said, we worked a lot to keep most of the core functionality on the Z2.
    But the positioning of Pro represents the highest exploration of OnePlus Audio, so it has the best noise reduction and the most intelligent noise reduction. It also has a more premium industrial design and texture. I believe that people who own the Buds Pro know what I'm talking about. Buds Pro are definitely the most textured headphones you can buy.

The Buds Pro also has a few other exclusive features like Zen Mode air, OnePlus Audio ID, and wireless charging.

We hope that the best technology can be enjoyed by most people. Z2 is the embodiment of that spirit.

13. Leo Lei

Stickied Post
    Leo Lei , Feb 1, 2022 :
    In order to hit the price point, we had to select touch over pinch. We believe it was more imporant to let more people enjoy the best noise reduction instead.

14. Jerry Z.
    E-com Manager Staff Member Feb 1, 2022

Stickied Post
    Jerry Z. , Feb 1, 2022 :
    The discounts are same cross channels, however OnePlus Store app will provide some exclusive campaigns, such as lucky draw entry when users place order within 24 hours.

15. Jerry Z.

Stickied Post
    Jerry Z. , Feb 1, 2022 :
    This time around, instead of a POP-UP BOX we decided to focus our efforts towards offering products from audio and wearables range, such as the OnePlus Band and the Bullets Wireless Z along with the sale of the OnePlus 9RT.

16. Jerry Z.

Stickied Post
    Jerry Z. , Feb 1, 2022 :
    OnePlus Store accepts SBI cards and all the other cards. Please kindly contact with customer service if your SBI card is not accepted.

17. Gary C.
    OxygenOS Product Lead Staff Member Feb 1, 2022

Stickied Post
    Gary C. , Feb 1, 2022 :
    Hi @McJader, thanks for your question. No speculation is needed. According to our plan for 9RT, the update schedule should be 3+1, including 3 major Android updates and 4 years of security updates.

18. Gary C.
    OxygenOS Product Lead Staff Member Feb 1, 2022

Stickied Post
    Gary C. , Feb 1, 2022 :
    The 9RT runs on one of the most mature versions of OxygenOS 11, right out of the box. That said, OOS12 is under development, and we will consider pushing it out to users once we have a version worthy of its naming.

19. Monica C.
    Community Intern Staff Member Feb 9, 2022

Stickied Post

20. Tom B.
    Global Service Strategy Operations Staff Member Feb 11, 2022

Stickied Post
    Tom B. , Feb 11, 2022 :
    Doorstep Services:
    Thank you for your feedback. This year, our main focus is on the Doorstep Services. We previously covered approximately 10K pincodes, and we are trying to expand this service to all India pincodes in order to provide our users with a better service experience.

Service centers:
    We have currently reached over 170 Top cities and plan to develop and extend to 250 locations, including Tier 4 and Tier 5 cities.

21. Tom B.
    Global Service Strategy Operations Staff Member Feb 11, 2022

Stickied Post
    Tom B. , Feb 11, 2022 :
    Sometimes new users are unfamiliar with the forums' interface and utility, leading them to start a thread. We recognized this challenge and started guiding the users to the Feedback section of the Community mobile app for a better experience.

22. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Jan 21, 2022

23. AlienEye
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 10 Pro 5G Jan 21, 2022

AlienEye , via OnePlus 8T , Jan 21, 2022 :
    Hi @Leo Lei . My question for you is,
    What challenges did you face to pack such powerful features in OnePlus Buds Z2 at such a low cost? How did you decide what to strip off from the original Buds pro?

24. U1642572567987 , via OnePlus Community App , Jan 21, 2022 :
    My question is that how to mirror this phone with smart tv.Basically I was able to mirroring my phone but videos of OTT apps were not able to display over the TV. Subtitle was visible but video was not visible.. Have tried many times but same thing is happening for OTT apps. Having said that I was able to see the you tube video in the TV during screen cast.
    Please help me on this .Thanks in advamce

25. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Jan 21, 2022

Yash Pratap Singh. , Jan 21, 2022 :
    It is due to DRM protection.
    Read here

26. Girish.Pranav , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G , Jan 21, 2022 :
    Okay, the questions for @Leo Lei:

Q.1) I noticed that the touch controls on the buds don't have the quick switch to the recently used device option in the Buds Z2 whereas the Buds Z did. Is there a quick switch in the Z2? What was the reason to remove the option in quick controls?

Q.2) The Z2 had the same case build as the Z which is a really inconvenient way of putting back the Buds. wasn't there any plans of altering that?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2022

27. Navdeep_Malik
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus TV U1S Writers' Club Jan 21, 2022

Navdeep_Malik , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 21, 2022 :
    Congratulations guys on the successful launch of the new series!
    @Charlotte C. My question is about what goes behind the naming of the new series with 'RT' and what does it entail? Does it take the place of regular T series?

28. Starcommander
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Writers' Club Jan 21, 2022

Technical SuranaJi likes this.
  30. Nipu_1998
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2T Jan 21, 2022

Nipu_1998 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 21, 2022 :
    @Charlotte C.
    My question is regarding the display on the OnePlus 9RT.
    The OnePlus 9RT uses an 120 Hz E4 Amoled panel compared to the 120 Hz Fluid Display in the OnePlus 9 series devices.
    What are the key differences between the 2 panels ?
    @Kinder L. said:
    What were the other CMF finishes and colours that were tested on the OnePlus 9RT and what factors did the team consider while finalising the new finishes and what were the challenges faced?

31. Teamspirit
    Honeycomb Jan 21, 2022

Teamspirit , Jan 21, 2022 :
    Hello team. Great job by OnePlus again. 9RT is Amazing and pretty good phone.
    @Charlotte C. Hi Charlotte, simple question - will there be different colour apart from Hacker Black and Nano Silver? Or any special edition coming soon?
    Thanks and awaiting for your answer.

32. Aditya_4
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Jan 21, 2022

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022

33. PritishPriyam
    Jelly Bean Writers' Club Jan 21, 2022

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022

34. O1564241249998 , via OnePlus Community App , Jan 21, 2022 :
    There is a call connect and call end tone feature which was with all the previous One Plus phones which I used. I have used One plus 8, One plus 7T, One Plus 7. This feature is missing in One Plus 9RT. I am also not able to find any setting for this anywhere. Though this looks like a small feature but it is a must have feature when you are on a headphone or buds all day. Without the tone its really difficult to understand if the call is disconnected. Please help here.

35. psygarden
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Jan 21, 2022

36. McJader

McJader , Jan 21, 2022 :
    @Gary C.
    There has been a lot of speculation and rumours about the update schedule for the 9RT. Can you clear it, what is the actual update schedule for the 9RT?
    2+1, or 3+1 ?
    Thanks

37. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Community Expert Jan 21, 2022

Dresa91 , Jan 21, 2022 :
    @Gary C., I will ask you this question for all Indian users: Will the OnePlus 9RT have to experience a similar fate as the OnePlus 9R regarding software updates? I mean
    the OnePlus 9R was actually released with the OnePlus 9 Series.
    But, whenever it comes to updates for the OnePlus 9 Series, the 9R was not mentioned.
    Will this also happen with the 9RT?

38. McJader

McJader , Jan 21, 2022 :
    I asked something similar already:p
    (You might've missed it, it's ok😅)