Any Fix For 7t wakes in pocket?(double tap) via OnePlus Community App

1. voltaire9 , via OnePlus Community App , Feb 11, 2020 :
    I stepped away from one plus 7t for a few months because I traded it back in. does anyone know if there has been a fix for the double tap to wake opening phone in pocket? I used the McLaren or less than a month and noticed that the pro series does not do this. only the regular 7t. has anyone noticed a fix yet? thank you guys.

Angel1297 likes this.
  2. Sheppards
    Honeycomb Feb 11, 2020

Sheppards , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 11, 2020 :
    have you trued tap to show instead of double tap to wake? I'm using that option, and imo much more useful, and doesn't do weird shit like that

harshil1903 likes this.
  3. am10
    Froyo Feb 12, 2020

4. voltaire9 , via OnePlus Community App , Feb 13, 2020 :
    Yeah, switched to Galaxy, now I'm back in ANOTHER 7T. Same shitty bugs and problems.

G_Mr._Rubby_yTqK likes this.
  5. voltaire9 , via OnePlus Community App , Feb 13, 2020 :
    Two totally different features. Ambient tap does not open phone.

6. NeonX89
    Gingerbread Feb 13, 2020

NeonX89 , via OnePlus Community App , Feb 13, 2020 :
    I have the "7T Pro 5G McLaren" i can't speak for other versions, but the ambient display pops on when you lift the phone you can unlock on there now, as for the double tap off/on works just fine, it's in the settings on this version never had it open or causing problems in pocket, The phone has a sensor if you put the phone down in your pocket "pop-up Camera facing down" the ambient display doesn't function till it's right side up, as for the double tap you enabled the feature, it's going to function as intended "double tap equals off/on" maybe they can add that sensor feature when the phone is facing downward... Best of luck.
    (1+ 7T Pro 5G McLaren Edition "T-Mobile")

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020

7. Lnicoletti
    Froyo Feb 13, 2020

Lnicoletti , Feb 13, 2020 :
    There should be a `pocket mode` which disable the taps on the screen when the sensor recognizes that the phone it in a pocket.

NeonX89 likes this.
  8. NeonX89
    Gingerbread Feb 13, 2020

Lnicoletti

There should be a `pocket mode` which disable the taps on the screen when the sensor recognizes that the phone it in a pocket.​

It's definitely a good idea, or implement that same sensor if the phone is at an odd angle the ambient display doesn't function when you move around "except for notifications" they could simply disable tap at that angle a very quick software tweak they can add.

9. voltaire9 , via OnePlus Community App , Feb 13, 2020 :
    no pocket mode for any 7 series.

10. voltaire9 , via OnePlus Community App , Feb 13, 2020 :
    yeah, you're right on a McLaren series , and the other seven pro, no problem waking in Pocket. just the regular 7 T. I had both of the pros and they didn't have this problem.

11. Sheppards
    Honeycomb Feb 13, 2020

Sheppards , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 13, 2020 :
    you guys keep talking about pocket mode.

the phone doesn't react to taps or touches if the proximity sensor is covered. it's already there by default

I don't have any accidental unlocks.

12. NeonX89
    Gingerbread Feb 13, 2020

You say that, but the guy who posted this already stated it still activates in pocket... Asking anyone if that issue has changed...

13. NeonX89
    Gingerbread Feb 13, 2020

14. voltaire9 , via OnePlus Community App , Feb 17, 2020 :
    Yeah, tapped my phone on my leg through pocket twice for double tap, totally turned on. On purpose just to test. Wonder why the Pro models don't. The 6T has pocket mode and works amazingly.7 series does not.

15. Aabalam
    Froyo Feb 17, 2020

16. NeonX89
    Gingerbread Feb 17, 2020

NeonX89 , via OnePlus Community App , Feb 17, 2020 :
    It does have a sort of proximity sensor when you're in a call, but it uses gyroscope to sense if your phone is a odd angle locks your phone from displaying the ambient Screensaver/clock but doesn't provide protection from the tap on feature, it could be a recommendation to send to one+ to add the same functionality while that setting is on so you're not accidentally always draining the battery turning on the display off and on all day while in your pocket🤷‍♂️

voltaire9 and Loveit like this.
  17. Swejuggalo
    KitKat Feb 17, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Feb 17, 2020 :
    All 7T/7 versions use a virtual proximity sensor. All use some software based method to guess when you intend to unlock. Wife's S10+ got an addition in Android 10. They apperently added some kind of second step that askes if the device actually is intended to be unlocked or not. Seen it happen a few times. She uses just swipe to unlock...
    S10 also uses a virtual sensor...

https://piunikaweb.com/2019/06/13/o...ensor-demystified-how-it-works-or-gets-buggy/

Different situations...

In pocket with screen towards you. It mostly constantly feels big random and multipoint touches and chose to ignore them.

In pocket facing outwards. Random big and small touches. It ignores big area, multi point and smaller swiping and smearing touches... But the more precise small touches starts to be tricky. Is it dark due to being in a dark room or due to being in a pocket? If there is light is it due to thin fabric or due to holding it you hand touching the screen in the same angle as it can be sometimes in the pocket?

Without a secondary step like verifying an unlock attempt or even pressing power button before being able to unlock... How much resources and battery drain are you willing to sacrifice to compute a bullet proof software solution?
    I would accept some kind of secondary step or even power button or some double tap and long press combo... Some sacrifices is needed on hardware without a real proximity sensor.

Try some stuff yourself. Big sloppy touches and swiping, multipoint touches and so and and see what triggers a wake.
    I only use touch to wake on my device. It may happen that it has tried to unlock too many times but for me it's rather rare. I have in pocket with screen facing towards body.

Loveit likes this.
  18. Sheppards
    Honeycomb Feb 17, 2020

Sheppards , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 17, 2020 :
    there is a regular proximity sensor in the 7T.

1. the OnePlus website confirmed this
    2. my thumb over the notch confirmed this
    3. looking through another phone it a full dark room, you can see it blinking too

the pro models might not have one, but the regular 7T has a real physical proximity sensor

1581973106677.jpg

1581973106623.jpg

19. Swejuggalo
    KitKat Feb 17, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Feb 17, 2020 :
    Really? Sure it's nothing else blinking? Heard of some blinking that has been visible in darkness on 7 Pros when NFC has been on.

"In-display Fingerprint Sensor, Accelerometer, Electronic Compass, Gyroscope, Ambient Light Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Sensor Core, Laser Sensor" from US site on 7 Pro with virtual sensor

20. Sheppards
    Honeycomb Feb 17, 2020

Sheppards , via OnePlus 7T , Feb 17, 2020 :
    nah, dude, NFC is at the back, and it's the first thing I disable.

just put your thumb over the notch, and try to tapping the screen. it won't do anything

also works in a pitch black roomy so it's not the ambient light sensor either.