Anyway to block all ( non contact ) incoming messages ( Viber, Whatsapp ) ?

?

Would you like for this option to be implemented in Viber and Whatsapp ?

1. YES

66.7%
  2. NO

33.3%
  1. Alivethereality
    Jelly Bean Feb 18, 2016

Alivethereality , Feb 18, 2016 :
    Hey i was wondering if it is possible to maybe mod or apply a setting, so it would be impossible to receive any incoming messages ( other then invite to be friends ) from someone that is not on my contact list ?
    So basically the only way would be for the person to first invite me to be friends, and only then be able to send me messages.
    Maybe someone could create a simple algorithm ( in xposed framework maybe ) which would check if the person is in your contacts list, and if not then it would not receive the message or at least not receive the notification for the message and maybe as a bonus block and report the user.

IF that thing doesn't exist vote whether you would like to have such thing implemented in whatsapp and viber.

KRISHNA4A9 likes this.
  2. Alivethereality
    Jelly Bean Feb 18, 2016

3. sfomin
    Nougat Feb 18, 2016

4. Alivethereality
    Jelly Bean Feb 18, 2016

5. sfomin
    Nougat Feb 18, 2016

sfomin , Feb 18, 2016 :
    non-contact =/= spammers

6. mavblues
    Gingerbread Feb 18, 2016

7. Alivethereality
    Jelly Bean Feb 19, 2016

Alivethereality , Feb 19, 2016 :
    so if i keep sending you annoying messages and fishing spam, you think that blocking me isn't going to help ?
    well if you really like to see spam i guess its fine

8. Alivethereality
    Jelly Bean Feb 19, 2016

9. sfomin
    Nougat Feb 19, 2016

sfomin , Feb 19, 2016 :
    I dont have all the contacts of my friends. So if a friend, whose number i dont have, messages me, i prefer to receive it instead of automatically blocking it. Makes sense?

Tokolozi likes this.
  10. Alivethereality
    Jelly Bean Feb 19, 2016

not entirely
    is it hard to read the message that he sends when he invites you ?
    you can send one of those you know
    but invites are limited so they are not "spammable"
    where normal messages are

11. sfomin
    Nougat Feb 19, 2016

sfomin , Feb 19, 2016 :
    Here is an example from viber:

I got a message from somebody with a different country code. Turns out it my cousin from another country. If viber was automatically blocking messages from people not in my contacts, i would have never received it. So i am glad that viber doesnt do it. And not everyone knows about the "invite" part you are talking about.

Tokolozi and Mr. BG like this.
  12. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Feb 19, 2016

Mr. BG , Feb 19, 2016 :
    I agree with @sfomin here, there is no way to get this working without a considerable risk of locking out the wrong people.

What if one of your friends lost his phone and gets a new one with a different number?

I think you just have to block Spammers, I hardly her any of those BTW.

Tokolozi and sfomin like this.
  13. Alivethereality
    Jelly Bean Feb 19, 2016

well it would be an option, so people would turn it on or off if they wish
    its kinda like in steam where people can't see your profile or send you messages if your account is private
    same thing for facebook
    i also never received a spam message in my life on viber or whatsapp, its just that i have somebody i know in Russia, and he tells me he is getting those spam messages on the regular

when you send a friends request you can write a message with it, so whoever it is, can clarify himself

14. sfomin
    Nougat Feb 19, 2016

sfomin , Feb 19, 2016 :
    what if he has my number and i dont have his? i dont think i saw a friend request on viber

15. Alivethereality
    Jelly Bean Feb 19, 2016

then he just adds you to his friends, and then you accept it
    or maybe there could be a way to at least limit the messages you receive from non contacts

say somebody finds out your phone number, and posts it somewhere on the internet
    you will get annoying messages from random people, and even if you start blocking them they can still annoy you with another numbers, so if somebody would want they could make you simply change your number which could be a pain

this "way" is not yet being abused by anyone ( or at least i haven't heard any cases ) but still what do you do then

16. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Feb 19, 2016

sfomin likes this.
  17. sfomin
    Nougat Feb 19, 2016

sfomin , Feb 19, 2016 :
    I dont think anybody has that much time to waste:D

Dougrunge likes this.
  18. Loriehenson
    Cupcake Feb 19, 2016

19. Alivethereality
    Jelly Bean Feb 20, 2016

Alivethereality , Feb 20, 2016 :
    well i guess its true
    as i said nobody has yet abused that "power"
    just thought such thing would be easy to make ....

sfomin likes this.
  20. octado
    Cupcake Sep 22, 2016

octado , Sep 22, 2016 :
    How about: Block all non-contact messages (actually do receive and delete) and auto-reply with "This user only accepts messages from people already in contacts list. In order to communicate you first need to send the user a friend invite by [instruction on how to invite]".

?

Edit: I also receive lots of spam from dedicated/spoofed number and have no way to make it stop as of now. Super annoying.