APN Problem N10 5G

1. iamWarder
    Froyo Jan 16, 2021

iamWarder , Jan 16, 2021 :
    Hi,

Cannot seem to edit or add APN settings on the phone, is there a setting I have to change in order to edit or add.

Under APN there is the three dots, but it only gives me an option to reset to default, no add.

In the APN of my carrier, its missing information that I cannot change.

Ive used the same SIM in my OP5, no issues going back and forth, just on the NORD, I get calls/texts no Data.

Called carrier and they said no issues on their end, plus it working on OP5 seems to make sense for me.

Thanks for any and all Help

2. drl431
    Community Hero 2020 Jan 16, 2021

drl431 , Jan 16, 2021 :
    Hi, tap the apn name to edit. Then the 3 dots will give the option to Save or Discard.

Caoimhín and jamesmack like this.
  3. iamWarder
    Froyo Jan 17, 2021

iamWarder , Jan 17, 2021 :
    Yes I was able to do that, but the discard option doesn't delete the APN, and the save doesn't give me an edit feature.

everything is greyed out, just hitting save doesn't change anything.

Is there a setting I need to enable to be able to do this?

Thanks

jamesmack likes this.
  4. drl431
    Community Hero 2020 Jan 17, 2021

drl431 , Jan 17, 2021 :
    Ok, try tapping the + button to add a new apn, which can then be selected to use.

5. iamWarder
    Froyo Jan 17, 2021

Unfortunately as stated above there is no '+' symbol to add a new APN

I have the settings I need, but no way to input them...can I get this fixed? or should I just return the phone?

I have a One Plus since the One, never had issues like this before...

jamesmack likes this.
  6. drl431

drl431 , Jan 17, 2021 :
    Can you post a screen shot of the "Access Point Names" screen?

7. iamWarder
    Froyo Jan 17, 2021

Sure,

Thats all I get from that APN screen, I have recently tried a roomate's sim, from the same carrier, no issues, i get the options you are describing, but not with my SIM installed.

Attached Files:

jamesmack likes this.
  8. drl431

drl431 , Jan 17, 2021 :
    That is strange. Consider getting that sim card replaced.

9. iamWarder
    Froyo Jan 17, 2021

jamesmack likes this.
  10. H1610114680204
    Cupcake Jan 17, 2021

jamesmack likes this.
  11. jamesmack
    Eclair Jan 17, 2021

jamesmack , Jan 17, 2021 :
    I'm having this same issue with my phone and two other Nord N10 5Gs. No option to add APN and cannot edit existing. Carrier says it's a operating system issue.

Build 10.5.9.
    Carrier: Telus

drep4521 and drl431 like this.
  12. phillips0973
    Cupcake Jan 18, 2021

phillips0973 , Jan 18, 2021 :
    Having some similar difficulties myself...

Text and calls work. No access to data. Spent some time today trying to troubleshoot.

Went to the Telus mobility store. He made sure everything was proper on their end and directed me to a cell phone repair shop. The guy there advised me to perform a system update, which was indeed needed, but didn't solve the issue. He mentioned that sometimes brand new devices out of the box are defective...I'm sure that happens but doesn't seem it's the case.

So I went back to Telus and got a new SIM card as a last ditch effort. Didn't work either, as the new SIM worked for data in his phone. And, again, not in mine.

Came home, called Telus tech support and the lady on the end was very nice and had good intentions, but in the end advised me to call OnePlus. So I did. The OnePlus guy also had very good intentions but most of the troubleshooting tips he advised, I have already tried. Except a factory reset...I mean, is that really necessary?? lol

The problem is I cannot edit the APN values or add a new APN. There is no plus sign to add a new one, and in trying to edit, all the values are greyed out, and I can see mostly all are "Not set". The important ones here would be the MMSC, MMSC Proxy, MMS Port, etc. I've done a little bit of reading online and found some solutions here:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/android-8-1-how-to-edit-cellular-apn.3697425/#post-75157321

(Forgive me if we are not allowed to post links to external forums)

I remember having to do something similar with my OnePlus 1 many moons ago. I'm not sure I want to go through all that again and if I have the patience for troubleshooting like I used to LOL

Came across another possible solution here, Reply number 9:

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/incorrect-apn-for-fido-lte-canada-in-apns-conf-xml.1268748/

So, is it the carriers trying to make it difficult to bring in outside mobile devices? I'm starting to wonder if it's not compatible with Telus network? Even though the fella from OnePlus told me on the phone that it IS supported, it sounds like a bit of a workaround to get it there.

I'll update if I can get it sorted out....Or end up sending it back lol

jamesmack likes this.
  13. drl431
    Community Hero 2020 Jan 18, 2021

drl431 , Jan 18, 2021 :
    It is interesting that all 3 of you guys are having the same issue and are all using this "Telus" network provider.

14. iamWarder
    Froyo Jan 18, 2021

iamWarder , Jan 18, 2021 :
    Can confirm, I have attempted everything above, just to make sure, Tried a new sim, nothing, works in other phones but not the Nord. used a Sim from Bell, Rodger, Fido and Koodo, all which work in the phone, but not Telus, which is my carrier. I have Factory reset the phone Three Times, and tried multiple sims, is there a reason for this? Can we @ a One plus developer to give some insight? Or can we warn other Canadians that don't make the mistake of purchasing this phone?

Currently in the process of returning my phone, I would like to get another, but if it doesnt work for all Telus, is there a point?

jamesmack likes this.
  15. jamesmack
    Eclair Jan 18, 2021

jamesmack , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G , Jan 18, 2021 :
    I spoke to Telus and they mentioned the APN settings are incorrect in this device file: apns-conf.xml. Unfortunately they cannot push a new file.. so OnePlus needs to edit this in an update. Either that or we have to root the phone. (This is happening on two other of our phones)

16. iamWarder
    Froyo Jan 18, 2021

Just not sure what else we can try, its clearly an issue between Telus and One Plus, just would love to know if this is normal?

jamesmack likes this.
  17. iamWarder
    Froyo Jan 18, 2021

Good to know, can we get some clarity if this is going to be solved soon? Or will returning the phone and getting another have the updated version?

jamesmack likes this.
  18. jamesmack
    Eclair Jan 18, 2021

Message them on every platform to get their attention. The more people who do this.. the faster they will likely respond and patch? I imagine every N10 5G will have this issue until they issue a software patch.

19. drl431
    Community Hero 2020 Jan 18, 2021

drl431 , Jan 18, 2021 :
    Seems Telus is the issue, as they are providing the wrong APN settings and their sim card does not allow changes. I don't think OnePlus can modify a Telus sim card.

Caoimhín, drep4521 and jamesmack like this.
  20. jamesmack
    Eclair Jan 18, 2021

It's a pre-configured file in the phones root system, not the SIM card.