App Permissions vs Privacy Guard

1. goneplus
    Gingerbread Oct 22, 2016

goneplus , Oct 22, 2016 :
    Hello,

Long time OPO owner. I love my OPO and have been using it for over two years. Not really eager to upgrade since it's still a great phone but it's starting to show its age. The OP3 is really tempting but one of the things that is keeping me with the OPO is the Privacy Guard feature that Cyanogen has. It's awesome. I'll never own a phone that doesn't have some similar feature.

Which leads me to my question. With Android 6.0 Google introduced App Permissions. Is this as good as Privacy Guard? Would OxygenOS on the OP3 offer that same control and protection as Privacy Guard on the OPO?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

NickJohns and Teddy Rogers like this.
  2. SirBacke
    Honeycomb Oct 22, 2016

SirBacke , Oct 22, 2016 :
    No, privacy guard is not on OP3
    No, Oxygen OS does not offer the same control and protection
    No, App Permission its not as good as Privacy Guard. Or do you really trust google?

Despite of App Permission by google I have installed on OP3:

- Xprivacy
    - AFWall+
    - Orbot
    - and a LAN logger

That is actually the reason why I bought an OP3. OP3 is highly configurable. These Apps can be installed easily and run perfect, whereas on a Samsung you can forget it since Galaxy S4 Android 5.0.1 it's almost impossible, or only with some dirty tricks which I don't like on a working phone.

NickJohns and goneplus like this.
  3. Teddy Rogers
    Cupcake Oct 22, 2016

Teddy Rogers , Oct 22, 2016 :
    I have to agree. One of the features I loved most on CM was Privacy Guard. Hope to see a port of it on OOS in the near future...

Ted.

4. goneplus
    Gingerbread Oct 23, 2016

goneplus , Oct 23, 2016 :
    Thank you. This was very helpful. Some of the programs you mentioned I have heard of. But, what is a LAN logger.

5. SirBacke
    Honeycomb Oct 23, 2016

SirBacke , Oct 23, 2016 :
    Take this one. It's EXTREMELY interesting to see what apps are active (even those you don't want).

P.S. I have logging always on on my OP3. Battery drain is almost 0.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016

goneplus likes this.