Third Party Software App says it is rooted when it is not

1. krause
    Eclair Sep 15, 2019

krause , Sep 15, 2019 :
    My bank updated their security policies. Their app won't work from now on with rooted Android devices. Since their last update, it is not working in my phone. The app says that it is rooted, but I never did that. I have a OnePlus 6T (A6013) with OxygenOS 9.0.16

I guess my question is how can I proof them it is not rooted, and if you think there could be a workaround for this, or what I could have done for the app to think it is rooted.

My concern is that this app is important for me, but I'd expect that if this is something that companies will start doing, eventually many official apps won't work on OnePlus.

Caomhin likes this.
  2. Caomhin
    Froyo Sep 15, 2019

krause likes this.
  3. krause
    Eclair Sep 16, 2019

krause , Sep 16, 2019 :
    Thanks for the suggestion. I got message :
    "Sorry, root access is not properly installed on this device".
    So I assume it's not rooted, and they may have excluded certain flavours of Android.

Caomhin likes this.
  4. iDrewn
    Eclair Sep 16, 2019

iDrewn , Sep 16, 2019 :
    Most apps has contact-info, maybe send an email to the devs and ask? I've done that a couple of times and they've fix it pretty fast! :)

krause and Caomhin like this.
  5. krause
    Eclair Sep 17, 2019

krause , Sep 17, 2019 :
    There is a thread in Reddit (and some posts in Twitter) complaining about this.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/d3m70u/aib_app_saying_device_is_rooted_even_when_its_not/
    A few of them are OnePlus phones. One user mentioned this :

On your Android phone, open the Phone/dialer app, and enter the code below.

*#*#7378423#*#*

This will open a new window. On this window, go to Service info>Configuration. If you see a message that says Bootloader unlock and there is ‘Yes’ written in front of it, it means the bootloader is unlocked.
    This is related to "bootloader" which I'm not sure if it is connected. Anyway dialing that code didn't work on my OnePlus 6T.

Any clue if this could have anything to do? If so, how to do this on OnePlus 6T.

Thanks all for your help. Unfortunately their support team are referring us to the phone provider, which is not fair. Hopefully the complains of the users will make them react at some stage.

6. krause
    Eclair Sep 20, 2019