[APP] YaImCo - Yet another Image Compressor

1. cdnfarmer
    Photography Expert Sep 21, 2018

cdnfarmer , Sep 21, 2018 :
    It still is a great app! Thanks for putting in all the hard work and making it available to us. I enjoyed using it.

On the other hand, when internet connections is slow (it happens out here), the smaller file sizes helps.

script, hennes, otto2 and 1 other person like this.
  2. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Sep 22, 2018

TibiTibi , Sep 22, 2018 :
    It does not work, it looks like this is a wrong text or joke.
    Still 2mb limit.

script, cdnfarmer, hennes and 3 others like this.
  3. otto2
    Photography Expert Sep 25, 2018

otto2 , Sep 25, 2018 :
    It s NOT useless- i love the options to crop the picture and to edit it, Black/ White with one touch etc...
    As mentioned on another place- an option to turn the picture ( Automatic leveling???) would be great.

cdnfarmer, script, TibiTibi and 2 others like this.
  4. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Sep 27, 2018

TibiTibi , Sep 27, 2018 :
    Now the forum's upload box try to trick with 5MB.
    again...
    It not works again

Bouncer71 likes this.
  5. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Sep 27, 2018

Bouncer71 , Sep 27, 2018 :
    yep..
    also just noticed...
    they must have a new trainee...?

script likes this.
  6. TibiTibi

Maybe they have changed the resource text but not the form validator.

Bouncer71 likes this.
  7. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Sep 27, 2018

Bouncer71 , Sep 27, 2018 :
    yeah...
    but first 10 MB, now 5 MB wonder what they are up to...?

8. TibiTibi

I hope it will not go under 2MB :eek:

script and Bouncer71 like this.
  9. elanglois
    Lollipop Oct 5, 2018

elanglois , Oct 5, 2018 :
    OK. How does it work? Does it use the Android compression libraries? Something custom?

I'm guessing its still JPEG.

hennes likes this.
  10. hennes
    YaImCo Developer Oct 5, 2018

hennes , Oct 5, 2018 :
    Holy cow! :D:D:D:D:D
    Your guess, how could it be different, everything else would be nonsense, is of course correct, it is a JPEG compression, but this could have been recognized by the image file itself. It's not the android or any other library, but an own implementation of the JPEG standard alias ISO 10918-1. I don't think I have to explain to you how I implemented this standard, how I programmed the color model conversion, low pass filtering, subsampling and how I developed and programmed the discrete cosine transformation, the quantization which are lossy, as well as the rearrangement, entropy encoding ect. But the implementation is very different from what it is implemented in android, because you have to play around with the parameters in order to get good results, the android library does not allow that in detail, especially since the order is decided, there are several possibilities to get to a compressed image, but only a few to get really good results.

But that's not the point, so it doesn't make sense to talk about libraries and programming, the fact is that the images that come out at the end are ok, and the people here in the forum had a good choice to upload their images with a good quality, in fact with compression to hold the 2 MB size. If the whole thing is packaged nicely, the user guidance is intiutive, then it is irrelevant to ask condescending about the way of working.

No offense, your post unfortunately arrived at my like this, if it shouldn't be like this, i'm sorry.

TibiTibi, script and Bouncer71 like this.
  11. elanglois
    Lollipop Oct 5, 2018

Not condescending at all! Only curiosity.

Implementing your own JPEG compressor is a pretty monumental task! Most people would have shoved some "good enough" parameters into the Android libraries and have been done with it. Taking the time and effort to roll your own by hand is first class. My hat is off to you!

I'll have to download it now!

script, hennes and Bouncer71 like this.
  12. hennes
    YaImCo Developer Oct 5, 2018

hennes , Oct 5, 2018 :
    Do it, I'm always ready for feedback, unfortunately I had taken your post differently, honestly so aggressive, but no matter what, excuse me again.
    It's the way it is, the result counts and I feel that's better than a lot of libraries out there. But it's also just a hobby project for the forum here. Not everything runs smoothly, I'm just redesign the editor ... if my time allows it.

TibiTibi, script and Bouncer71 like this.
  13. elanglois
    Lollipop Oct 5, 2018

Not aggressive at all. But ... forum posts are an imperfect medium. No harm, no foul.

If time is an issue, you should consider open-sourcing it on github or something and maybe turning it into a Community Project.

I actually was hoping to get a few people together to rewrite the Community app from scratch as an open-source project. Obviously, OnePlus isn't doing a great job!

hennes likes this.
  14. hennes
    YaImCo Developer Oct 6, 2018

hennes , Oct 6, 2018 :
    Thinking about a git hub and a community project can be done when YaImCo is out of beta phase, for now I leave it as it is, especially since the compression is implemented in a corporate project which should not be public at this time.

For the community app it would need an API with e.g. an XML or JSON interface from OnePlus and the topic would be done. But as far as I know this doesn't exist officially, it remains that you would have to read html code or even build a webview into an app, but that's pointless. So it stays as it is until there is an official interface here.
    I had thought about it before in 2014 and today I live with it to use the browser and oh miracle that works super. :D:D:D:D

script likes this.
  15. elanglois
    Lollipop Oct 6, 2018

elanglois , Oct 6, 2018 :
    The OnePlus site is based on an underlying forum that does have an API. I hijacked a thread and added links to docs and such. I don't know if its compatible or what keys are required, but decompiling the community app would give the keys and such.

16. hennes
    YaImCo Developer Oct 6, 2018

hennes , Oct 6, 2018 :
    Um, excuse me, but do you really think this is a viable way, to decompile the app? I don't think so. If OnePlus would offer it officially, it would be ok, otherwise you should respect it the way it is, because it is their business and their property, it has to be respected and nothing else. Apart from that, OnePlus would know how to prevent the app from working or getting data even then. Sorry, that's not my attitude.

Addendum: Maybe you should contact the moderators @script ect. here and ask them to talk to OnePlus, that you might offer such a project as a community project as well as the beta-test program. That would be a good and right way.

script likes this.
  17. elanglois
    Lollipop Oct 6, 2018

elanglois , Oct 6, 2018 :
    Hmm ... I took a 3MB 4K file and dropped it to 1.5MB. Even zoomed WAY in, I can't tell the difference from the original. I wish Gimp compressed this well!

I'm impressed!

script likes this.
  18. Ovidiu Ladaru
    Froyo Oct 7, 2018

19. hennes
    YaImCo Developer Oct 7, 2018

hennes , Oct 7, 2018 :
    PM is out... ;)

20. Ovidiu Ladaru
    Froyo Oct 7, 2018