Apple Event - 2019 | iPhone 11 and everything else!

1. YRJ
    Lollipop Sep 10, 2019

YRJ , Sep 10, 2019 :
    This is a star thread of CUBE. Check more excellent content here.

20190911_040147_0000.png
    GOOD MORNING! :D

Hello Community,
    Welcome to Tech-tember, I have a feeling that this month is going to be awesome! But before the awesomeness starts..... earlier today Apple held an event at the Steve Jobs theatre in Cupertino.
    Apple launched the newest iPhones, iPads and a watch. Also, it was streamed on YouTube! :eek:

It was a great keynote with lots of gameplay among other things. Let's take a look at what went by at the event.
    Apple in its event It's show time held in March this year, talked about its plans to launch its own subscription based gaming service, Arcade and original digital content on Apple TV+ there were no release dates and no details on the pricing of the services until today.

Apple Arcade
    Screenshot_20190911-034153__01.jpg
    The company had announced that Apple Arcade will be launching on 19th September 2019 in over 150 countries with atleast 100 gaming titles.
    At the event, Apple also showed the demos of the arcade exclusive titles which include,

Frogger in toy town - Konami
    •Shinsekai: Into The Depths - Capcom
    •Sayonara Wild Hearts - Annapurna Interactive

The service has a monthly fee of $4.99 and the family sharing feature is supported. Not to mention and free one month trial.
    It would be good to see how it competes with Google's STADIA.

In India it is said to cost ₹99 a month!

Apple TV+
    Screenshot_20190911-034308__01__01.jpg
    A Video streaming service from Apple is set to launch on 1st November 2019. Tim Cook had announced that all people buying Apple products ( TV, Mac, iPad, iPhone) will get one year of free subscription. Safe to say, apple is pushing really hard on this one.
    Apple TV+ will feature various original series, including For All Mankind, The Morning Show, Dickinson and See, the trailer of which premiered during the keynote. Apple had also said that it will be adding originals every month.
    Apple TV+ is a ad-free service that supports offline downloads, Dolby Vison & Dolby Atmos.

The monthly fee is $4.99 and the family sharing feature is supported (6 users)
    Only time will tell how it compares with Netflix, Amazon, Disney and various other media providers.

In India it is said to cost ₹99 a month!

Apple Watch Series 5
    Screenshot_20190911-032942__01__01__01.jpg
    It seems that it has become a tradition to update the product every year. Apple announced the watch series 5, exactly the same as the series 4 but it now has 'Always on Display', a built in compass and emergency calling for international countries.
    Basically, the time and other complications will always be on the screen but will get brighter as you raise it and dim down when you are not looking at it.

The series 5 comes in a variety of finishes, namely
    Aluminium, Titanium, Steel and Ceramic.
    The series 5 watch starts at $349 for GPS and $499 for the Cellular version. It will be available starting 20th September 2019.
    If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, Apple has permanently slashed the prices of Apple watch series 3 to $199

Apple iPad 2019
    Screenshot_20190911-033022__01__01.jpg
    The 7th generation iPad is here, apple is upgrading the entry level iPad to a 10.9 inch tablet, the device is compatible with the Apple Pencil and a keyboard. It has an A10 fusion chip and all-day battery life, it is coming to stores 30th September 2019

To unlock the complete potential of the iPad, Apple has announced iPadOS.
    iPadOS aims to introduce new productivity tools and make the tablet a notebook replacement. iPadOS includes a new home screen layout, enhanced multitasking features and new UI gestures for general actions.

The iPad will go for ₹29,900 in India.

iPhone 11 series
    Screenshot_20190911-032833__01__01.jpg
    Let's get to the most exciting part of the keynote, atleast it is supposed to be. iPhone's make up for almost half of Apple's revenue. After slipping number recently Apple had decided to bet on the cameras for the success of the lineup this time around.

There is not one, not two but three iPhones in total.
    The iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro max.

The iPhone 11 is a successor to the iPhone XR from last year, it still retains the LCD/ liquid retina display 6.1 inches, but it now has 2 cameras! One 12MP wide and another 12MP ultra wide. It comes in six exciting colours, features Dolby Atmos, WiFi 6, 30% faster face id and the most powerful part, it comes with the all new A13 Bionic chip which promises, mind boggling speeds and great performance!

It features a 12MP front facing camera which has slow motion selfies/ 'Slofies' I don't know why anyone would even call it that, but it is what it is.

The iPhone 11 starts at $699 and will cost ₹64,900 in India.

iPhone 11 Pro & 11 Pro Max
    Screenshot_20190911-034712__01.jpg
    The biggest upgrade to the Pro's has to be the triple camera system. A 12MP wide, 12MP ultra wide (120°) and a 12MP telephoto lens.
    The devices come in 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch screen sizes. It comes with a total optical zoom range of 4x.

The iPhone 11 Pro comes with a 5.8-inch OLED display and the iPhone 11 Pro Max gets a 6.5-inch OLED screen. Apple is using a new display for the two iPhone 11 Pro models that is called a Super Retina XDR display, which offers peak brightness of 1200 nits and a 2 million to 1 contrast ratio.

All iPhone's are powered by the A13 Bionic chip. The iPhone 11 claims to have a 1 hour extra battery life when compared to the XR, the iPhone 11Pro is reported to have 4 hours of extra battery life compared to the iPhone XS and iPhone 11 Pro max will have 5 hours of extra battery life compared to the iPhone XS Max! In the box is also a new 18W fast charger.

The iPhone Pro lineup comes in 4 finishes:
    •Gold
    •Midnight Green
    •Silver
    •Space Gray

The iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max starts at $999 and $1,099 respectively.
    India pricing, iPhone 11 Pro starts at ₹99,900 and and iPhone 11 Pro Max starts at ₹1,09,900

That pretty much what went at Apple keynote earlier today, lots of products. Some needed an upgrade some didn't but it's all here.
    To sum it up, Apple is making the 11 series all about the camera, with new features coming up this fall maybe the camera will set new benchmarks, but we all know that the Pixel 4/XL has been leaked in its entirety and is expected to be launched soon.
    How long do you think will the iPhone hold the trophy of the best camera, if at all?

What do you think of the new products? Do you see yourself getting anything from whats being offered?
    The Apple Arcade and TV+ at ₹99 /$4.99 PM sound like a great deal!

Peace,
    YRJ

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2019

2. Discostu
    Jelly Bean Sep 11, 2019

Discostu , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Great overview as always @YRJ - I was waiting for it!

I have to say I think apple are seeing where there future revenue will come from - subscription services. As you noted, it will be very interesting to see how their streaming service compares with the established entities. The market feels crowded at the moment, and J have to imagine only those entrenched in the apple ecosystem are going to be compelled to use it.

Their phones are predictably boring if I am to be honest. The cameras while game changing for apple users - are old news for the rest of us and pricing is astronomical. $1,899 for the "pro max" in Australia - obscene.

I'm a little confused about their slowmo selfie thing, what is the point? And also, the contrast ratio of their OLED screens - I thought it OLED was infinite?

Its nice to see them including a faster charger in the box after last year's exclusion. But again, all in all it feels like they are playing catch-up and putting their effort into what their future revenue will be from - subscriptions from current apple owners, getting as much $$ out of them as possible.

3. JalananFreak
    Gingerbread Sep 11, 2019

G_plusone and YRJ like this.
  4. Dresa91
    Android Q Sep 11, 2019

Dresa91 , Sep 11, 2019 :
    thank you @YRJ :)
    I couldn't manage to watch the Keynote, but you made a great job with all important facts:)
    thank you for this thread:)
    let's see how the Pixel 4/XL will manage to beat the iPhone 11 Pro (Max) :)

5. YRJ
    Lollipop Sep 11, 2019

YRJ , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Thank you @Discostu I'm glad you liked it :)

It seems that Apple has not put enough effort in the iPhone 11 series to make it a complete package.
    It has the same 2018 notch design and an even more ugly camera module.
    The upgrades are minimal and the camera alone cannot sell the entire phone.

The iPhone's carry the same old notch from 2017, and a display which is still 60Hz.
    As you rightly pointed out, the Slofie is indeed gimmicky. I don't know what purpose it would serve.
    Although, 'Deep Fusion' sounds interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.

AFAIK, the contrast ratio is the how bright the whites are compared to the blacks, and as the black pixels do not light up at all it has to be infinite, indeed.

To sum it up, you are right the iPhone's are way behind when compared to the competition and if there is something extraordinary about them it has to be the A13 Bionic chip, but who are we kidding?
    That much power is not needed for smartphones anyway.
    If at all there is anything I am excited about it has to be Apple Originals :D

6. YRJ
    Lollipop Sep 11, 2019

YRJ , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Thank you.
    I'm glad you liked it :)
    Thank you Dresa :)
    I'm really excited for the Pixel 4/XL I'm certain that it will set new benchmarks for the camera, looking forward to October 15th :)

sabir.sayed and Dresa91 like this.
  7. Dresa91
    Android Q Sep 11, 2019

Dresa91 , Sep 11, 2019 :
    I think so too:)
    let's see:)

G_plusone and YRJ like this.
  8. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Sep 11, 2019

9. Maverick2.0
    KitKat Sep 11, 2019

Maverick2.0 , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Excellent post, man! Short, sweet summary of the entire event. I love the fact that you even mentioned the likely prices for the Indian market. :)

G_plusone, Starcommander and YRJ like this.
  10. YRJ
    Lollipop Sep 11, 2019

YRJ , Sep 11, 2019 :
    I'm certain that it would look really cool :tearsofjoy:

Starcommander, G_plusone and Dresa91 like this.
  11. YRJ
    Lollipop Sep 11, 2019

YRJ , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Thank you :)
    By the time I was writing this post, the Indian prices were out so I added them too.

12. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Sep 11, 2019

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Sep 11, 2019 :
    I like the midnight green color, although I am a black person. Atleast it looked good on TV.

As explained in the video below, this is just an iterative update and not an upgrade for existing users, including myself who has a iPhone 7 Plus (which is still better than the latest Android flagships in many respects).

The real upgrade for iPhone comes next year or in 2021. I'm personally not in any hurry for my requirements.

I'm looking at the Pixel 4 XL though. I wish one of the rumors that said the XL will come with 8 GB ram is true. Rumors also say that they will come with Snapdragon 855 and not 855+. That is still okay as long as we have 8 GB ram and the 90 Hz refresh rate.

Starcommander and YRJ like this.
  13. YRJ
    Lollipop Sep 11, 2019

YRJ , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Idk, if I'm colour blind but I cannot tell the green and Gray apart o_O
    Screenshot_20190911-135414.jpg

Albeit, the iPhone's are incredibly powerful and can easily beat any android phone but it being stuck to the 2017 boring design is disappointing.

I'm waiting for the Pixel 4/XL, I think it's going to be a great phone :)

14. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Sep 11, 2019

Definitely something to be concerned about. Have your eyes checked. The green doesn't look like grey in any way.

Talking of designs, what exactly are we expecting apart from a full screen without a notch. The notch on the iPhone looks better than the ones on Android devices, and more importantly, it has a functional reason behind it. No change is better than a change for the sake of it.

15. YRJ
    Lollipop Sep 11, 2019

YRJ , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Seems to be an issue with my screen calibration I guess.
    Not all can agree on this as the notch is quite subjective. Some people like it, some hate it and the others don't care. But a notch in 2019 on a phone that costs ~$1000 is rather odd.

But when I say bad design, I don't mean just the display, the camera module has also not been received quite well. With netizens saying that the iPhone 11 has their Trypophobia acting up!
    They should have rather covered the entire module under a black glass.

16. Liehjan
    Lollipop Sep 11, 2019

Liehjan , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Saw the whole keynote yesterday, It blows my mind that the iPhone xr is the best selling iPhone by far... And I've never seen one out in the wild! o_O

YRJ likes this.
  17. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Sep 11, 2019

I'm just waiting for Apple to appoint a more capable CEO.

18. YRJ
    Lollipop Sep 11, 2019

YRJ , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Finally the truth has been spoken :tearsofjoy:

19. YRJ
    Lollipop Sep 11, 2019

YRJ , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Neither have I :p

Starcommander and Liehjan like this.
  20. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Sep 11, 2019

youbi , Sep 11, 2019 :
    Usually I always loved to see Apple keynotes, it was always an excitmnet to see the new stuff coming, but in latest years, it became harder and harder to see it all, so lately I'm mostly just seeing the "best part" videos of the event that many media companies nicely put together on youtube. :D

From what I saw, it does make me wonder what was that "By innovation only" title all about. :neutral:

Just out of curiosity, in what exactly do you feel that the iphone 7 plus is still better than the 2019 flagships phones?

Care to elaborate on that? I get the functional part of it, but in terms of looks, how can that notch look better than the ones android phones have? Whats exactly better looking on that one than the one on the op7 or p30 that are much smaller?

Starcommander, Discostu and YRJ like this.