Apple "Facts"

1. SoniaB
    Nougat Head Moderator May 26, 2017

SoniaB , May 26, 2017 :
    Sorry I was offline, but feel free to send me a PM so that this thread remains on-topic

Oh, cheers for answering this

Heisenberg_009, adpro and dsmonteiro like this.
  2. SoniaB

SoniaB , May 26, 2017 :
    I am uncertain why you are posting a screenshot of the forum rules here. It has nothing to do with your thread title nor content. You have randomly posted this without it being directed to, or in response to another user's post. So you are, in fact, derailing your own thread.
    The rules, such as they are, apply to everyone

3. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop May 26, 2017

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , May 26, 2017 :
    the query was relating to why some comments were removed. so I pointed out that they were in violation of one or more of the forum's code of conduct.

4. SoniaB

SoniaB , May 26, 2017 :
    Actually there were not.
    They were off-topic to the thread content and so fall under 1.3 (pointless and off-topic) and not Code of Conduct.

5. johnhart
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 26, 2017

johnhart , May 26, 2017 :
    HIya Sridhar,

I respectfully am observing backpedaling. This quote nails it, "Where you say - "so do others" - there was nothing in my post that suggested only Apple did a good job."

Your list of Apple "facts" all started with "WE this -- " and "WE that." You could have simply said "APPLE this" and "APPLE that". To use 'we' the way you did indicates pride. "I am a smart Apple user and there are lots of people who think the way I do and therefore we are not only important but superior."

This use of the word 'we' is meant to make the non-Apple fan reader feel like 'less'. That the rest of us are not in your 'amazing' club. In this way you minimize the accomplishments of other companies -- or outright suggest they're irrelevant -- because Apple is the 'bestest'. That is: you directly suggest that since Apple does the best job all other companies don't matter.

"if I say X is good, people should read just that. But what is happening is people read my comment as X is better than Y. Not my problem."

Backpedaling. You're directly suggesting Apple is superior but pretending you're not. Proof --

"One of the reasons why Apple doesn't want to allow homescreen customization is the fact that they want to stick with a certain design language. It is true when we see the home screen of an iPhone, we know it is the iPhone. Even Android, with it's material design guidelines, made white icons on status bar mandatory. Each company has the right to make decisions for their products, and if the product is successful, that too one as successful as the iPhone, it is a tough decision to try and change something."

Since you're a cunning linguist you're making two points simultaneously. You're making a surface point that each company has the right to design their homescreens as they like and therefore you're pretending not to make a X is better than Y proposition.

But then look at all your subtext that does indicate it's superior. You're saying that iPhone is very successful because they're using 'superior' design by locking down homescreen customization and making iPhone immediately identifiable. This implies that Android is doomed to failure because it's allowing too much design variation.

But the subject isn't how successful a phone is. McDonalds sells a lot of terrible burgers. The subject is if the iPhone itself is superior. Which is what your 'we' list is really all about.

NEWSFLASH: Home screen customization rocks on Android and blows on iPhone. X to Y baby. You want to dance around this Apple shortcoming by saying "but we innovate, we lead, we profit" but, again, these are all pointless points.

We don't care if Apple is happier limiting our choices.

What I resent about Apple is their delight in delaying needed features. I'll speak exclusively about iPhone for the moment.

I used iPhone for 8 years. In year 1 it occurred to me how utterly inconvenient it was to have to manually close open apps one by one. Gee -- wouldn't it be nice to close all your open apps in one quick way? I just did a quick iSearch and to this day Apple doesn't present an easy way to shut all open apps.

Why?

Apple believes it has superior memory management. That keeping them open in the background makes them open faster. But since Apple is cheap with RAM what it does is invoke apps using Apple's version of 'virtual memory'. It slows the phones way down to have all these apps you're no longer using 'ready' to come back.

iSuckers debate this and preach about how 'magical' Apple handles RAM. Yet it's obvious if you close all apps and reboot the phone is suddenly much faster.

You know how OnePlus innovated in this area? 6GBS of RAM. I don't care what baloney iSuckers preach my way. I know this phone feels much faster than iPhone six hours after boot. I don't reboot my OnePlus three times a day to 'refresh' it.

What I do, thanks to Android and OnePlus innovation is --

1. Lock about six of my key apps so that they're ready and willing.
    2. Maybe twice a day I hit that button that closes all apps I've opened that aren't one of those six.
    3. Thanks to my Android Assistant app I can actually eyeball my RAM usage all day. I've NEVER seen this phone approach 5GBS of use. Just over 4 a little at its worst.
    4. And I get all this for half the price of similar iPhone.

This is just one example of where Apple would rather bury its head in the iSand, tell me RAM is handled better on iPhone, and charge me twice the money to buy into this lie.

I ditched for a reason. And again -- this was just one.

Need another?

AMOLED. Night and day eyestrain reduction. Better looking screen that iPhone, half the price. Why isn't Apple using AMOLED?

They'll tell you some nonsense. Any nonsense. It kills the battery, it fails to recreate certain colors, blah blah blah. The REAL reason is amoled costs more than cheaper tech. Apple not only likes to charge you more -- but -- they love to charge you more for less. I call that double-dipping and it's a scam favored by almost all greedy con-artists.

Ever buy a car that gives you a choice regarding the stereo? Either factory crap or factory Bose? Guess what: factory Bose isn't retail Bose but crap Bose. So they make you pay even more to get less than promised. Double-dipping.

Need another?

Convenience. To be fair this isn't why I switched to Android but its definitely why I wouldn't switch back. Android, as a competitor, scrambles to compete. This means any spot on the phone where Apple might pause and 'think about it' Android either dives forward or a third party app does.

I was rather delighted to learn that keyboards on Android hide numbers and other symbols on the front keyboard. No time consuming switching. Oh sure Apple may one day offer this but they sure didn't for a long time after Google introduced it.

A little thing but awesome. So is

1.) being able to unlock my phone by just touching a button.
    2.) Put it to sleep by just touching a spot.
    3.) See all apps by touching another spot.
    4.) Switch which spots do what.
    5.) Add a visual interface if need be or eliminate it if need be.
    6.) Double touch power and be in camera mode.
    7.) Draw a V on sleeping phone and have a flashlight.
    8.) Touch 'up' on a folder and it opens the first app in the folder.
    9.) Be able to scroll through desktops in either direction via Nova
    10.) Customize most of appearance to reduce eyestrain

Last edited: May 27, 2017

6. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop May 26, 2017

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , May 26, 2017 :
    hlya John,

thanks for sharing your perspective. as before, respectfully disagree.

thanks also for sharing how a statement can be interpreted from different perspectives, sometimes completely unconnected to the original perspective.

from your post as well as those of various other participants, it is quite clear that Android fans have an "inferiority" complex when they compare their device with iPhone, although that is completely unfounded and unnecessary. both platforms are great in their own ways and the one that we choose is one that fits most of our individual requirements.

given my linguistic abilities, I'll try and clarify my point to the best of my abilities, completely mindful of the fact that it would again be subjected to various different as well as creative perspectives.

the thread was posted as a narrative in the first person. there is factually nothing more to it than what has been interpreted here. that explains the "we" part. atleast that was the original perspective.

even if I had said that Apple does the best job, it isn't the same as saying that other companies don't matter. a good example of that is what I stated about Steve Jobs. we can draw the same analogy here. so understanding it that way is your perspective. not mine.

with regards to the design language, I said that because the existing design is doing wonders for the company, there is absolutely no incentive for them to try changing it and risk losing the popularity and demand for the iPhone. this is simple business sense. this product is driving their profits in it's current form, so they will think a thousand times before changing it because it is a risk.

of course Apple is the pioneer of the concept of smartphone as we see it today. our opinions won't change facts.

then you go on to talk about "shutting" apps. in other words "killing" apps from memory. bad idea. you shouldn't be doing that. the OS knows it's job. you don't have to tell it what to do. you don't have to worry about RAM. the OS will take care of that. just use the phone via the apps and don't do the job of the OS. you would be wasting time doing so. so it is perfectly okay to not have the "clear all" option under recent apps. the Apple engineers know what they are doing. they have one of the best minds working for them.

if you had to reboot your device multiple times a day, there was either something wrong with it, or you didn't know how to use it. if it was the former, you should have taken it for service.

and it took you 8 years to realize it was a bad product? why didn't you make the switch earlier?

Apple has proved, time and again, that spec sheets don't tell you the whole story. even with low specs on paper, they beat the Android devices when it comes to performance. again the only thing that actually counts.

7. johnhart
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 26, 2017

johnhart , May 26, 2017 :
    Sridhar says --

"thanks also for sharing how a statement can be interpreted from different perspectives, sometimes completely unconnected to the original perspective"

You walked into a room, called everyone fat, and then claimed you didn't. That we all got it wrong because we lack an understanding of your perspective. That's statistically unlikely and so now you must regress to a desperate point to save yourself. Like --

"from your post as well as those of various other participants, it is quite clear that Android fans have an "inferiority" complex"

No. It's not that we're all too body conscious. Or live in fear that we're fat. You called us fat. Directly and through subtext. And claimed how 'thin' and 'fit' you are -- which is amazingly debatable.

And you resorting to ad homimem** means you're running out of arguments -- no matter how politely or eloquently phrased.

An adult recognizes when their wording was poor. You tried being confrontational and have had your teeth kicked in via poorly chosen arguments. Instead of double downing you should grow up and deal with it.

* *yes, accusing a group of having an inferiority complex is abandoning the topic to an irrelevant one about your debating partners. An infantile ploy and readily discernible.

(You see what I just did there in subtext 3 times, right? Two can play at your game.)

"then you go on to talk about "shutting" apps. in other words "killing" apps from memory. bad idea. you shouldn't be doing that. the OS knows it's job. you don't have to tell it what to do. you don't have to worry about RAM. the OS will take care of that."

You're either clueless or a paid poster. Fact not opinions --

1. I bought an iPhone 6 with 1GB of RAM and 16GBs of storage the month of its initial release. And so in no way was my phone too old a year later.

2. In year two after a major iOS update the phone would slow way down once booted for hours. My wife's did too. I Googled and found plenty of users complaining of this.

3. The advice? Reboot. Or do the power button trick which refreshes the OS. Both actually sped the iPhone up for a few hours. Now -- how could these tips work if the phone wasn't slowing down? Right? Not an opinion, fact --

http://time.com/4137083/iphone-faster-tips-tricks/

4. The current Apple TV 4 (which I own) does the EXACT same thing. It holds all apps open until they start functioning poorly.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7544988?start=0&tstart=0

I'm done with you, Sir. I know these to be facts. I left Apple for a reason.

8. G_Greg_Ybañez_vJrN
    Gingerbread May 27, 2017

9. Baymax
    Starting Point Expert May 27, 2017

Baymax , May 27, 2017 :
    Absolutely incorrect. This article here says that there is absolutely no harm in closing the apps from memory. It is better for maintaining the health of the device. Perhaps you should swipe up on apps and close them on your iPhone and see what "harm" there is.
    https://www.payetteforward.com/is-closing-iphone-apps-bad-idea-no-heres-why/

Also, If it was bad, why would Google themselves bake a "Clear All" button into Nougat?
    Please source your findings for this. I have found that it is practically the same on a performance level. Both opens apps, both run just as well as each other, etc. Not to mention that the Apple iPhone 7 was closer in specs to any Android and still it was a toss up dependent on which Android was in the hot seat. So, not exactly on the lower spec scale anymore bud.

10. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop May 27, 2017

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , May 27, 2017 :
    I walk into a room and say I am fit. no one should have an objection with it because I am talking about myself which is a fact (or at the very least my opinion). but if you choose to interpret that as me calling you fat, it indeed either means that you have an inferiority complex (because if I say I'm good, you shouldn't get offended unless you assume I said I am better than you, which I actually didn't say) or you are indeed fat.

under both circumstances, it is your own interpretation that is flawed, very likely because of an inferiority complex.

your own experiences are just that. your experience. according to a study, see above in comments, 92% of iPhone users stick with the brand. It is convenient for people to use the "ecosystem" argument to explain it, which is absurd because it applies to Android as well. the iPhone is among the top 3 best selling phones consistently every year for the last 10 years since launch. and being the most expensive smartphone, those who buy them wouldn't continue to buy them if there were so many problems with it.

again look into any Android community, such as this one, many people are complaining about so many things. that doesn't mean this phone too is faulty. different people experience different problems due to different reasons, and one of them is NOT knowing how to use the phone, and this some of them are even engineers (on paper). that's the irony.

in other words, if a user is incompetent, it is not the product that is at fault. taking a poor shot and blaming the camera is just one example of that. another example is if your body has a problem, say fat, blame your lifestyle, the food you eat, your habits, etc and not God who created you.

so, sir, I have been using phones from all platforms long enough and have experienced such problems too. and have been trying out so many different suggestions on how to fix them and, fortunately, I have found out what actually works and what doesn't. and ever since I implemented those, all my phones just run amazingly fast and smooth. so these are facts and if you think I'm a paid poster, then the payment should come in from all 3 companies.

I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand or choose to infer, limited by your own understanding and prejudices.

11. Baymax

Baymax , May 27, 2017 :
    True. i6 is #3 only being preceded by Nokia devices back in '03 and '05. (Which dwarfs the iPhone sales btw) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_mobile_phones
    That doesn't mean anything though. Just because it selled well doesn't mean that the user did not turn around and trade it for an Android a month later.
    Well, considering Apple probably works on thousands per day... People are devoted yet according to Kantar World Panel, the percentage of Android users over took a historically higher iPhone percentage in Japan. Screenshot_20170526-205718.png Screenshot_20170526-210151.png
    Within the course of 2 months. Something tells me your 92% will be going down by the end of the year.

varma246 likes this.
  12. varma246
    Lollipop May 27, 2017

varma246 , May 27, 2017 :
    This not Apple facts.... it's a hell.

Should have named it as Debate fact's

Android450 and Baymax like this.
  13. Baymax

Baymax , May 27, 2017 :
    Or Apple Opinions or Apple Debatable Facts

Android450 and varma246 like this.
  14. varma246
    Lollipop May 27, 2017

this one Right here suits this thread a lot.

Baymax likes this.
  15. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop May 27, 2017

16. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop May 27, 2017

so iPhone sells well and one month later people shift to Android. and this happens every month/ year? seriously?

17. Baymax

Baymax , May 27, 2017 :
    That still does hold true. There is only one model of iPhone. Created by Apple. Nobody else. There are multiple different models made by multiple manufacturers for Android.

18. Baymax

Baymax , May 27, 2017 :
    We do not know this percentage. It is not public record. The S8 has caused a huge ripple in the smartphone world though. It is unlike any other phone.

19. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop May 27, 2017

Samsung flagships are the Queens of smartphones (iPhone being the King). they are the ones giving the iPhone a tough competition. in fact, even better in many respects. who denied that by the way?

20. varma246
    Lollipop May 27, 2017

Who is the king ios or Google.... expecting honest answer.... don't screw this time.