Apple’s “California Streaming” event is today. Let’s watch it live and discuss

1. Cheetosdust
    Junior Moderator Junior Moderator Sep 14, 2021

Cheetosdust , Sep 14, 2021 :
    Apple Event September 2021.png

This afternoon, Apple is hosting a new event. It’s undeniable that what we’ll see in just a few hours will have a ripple effect in the whole industry. Anyone who is interested in tech will see, read, or at least hear about the new lineups the Cupertino-based giant is about to reveal.

What to expect?
    Naturally, nothing was confirmed so far. However, the “California Streaming” event is poised to be the stage where the new iPhones are going to be revealed and detailed. It was not confirmed if they are going to have the moniker “iPhone 13”, but there are some interesting rumors floating around.

The analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted recently that the iPhone 13 Pro and the iPhone 13 Pro Max will have a 1TB storage option. The iPhone 13 mini and the iPhone 13 will allegedly have 512GB as the maximum capacity. The entry model will offer 128GB, with Apple finally killing the 64GB from their lineup altogether.

Four new models are expected. Other rumors mention improved cameras with video portrait and the debut of an astrophotography mode. And, at least the Pro models, will have a ProMotion display (a 120Hz display that is capable of being dynamically and automatically adjusted). And perhaps we'll hear something about the ability to send emergency messages via satellite.

The Apple Watch Series 7 with bigger screens, new processor and watchfaces, and a new design that will be closer to the boxy look that premiered with the iPhone 12 Series is also rumored to make its debut. Finally, there are also claims about a third generation of the Apple AirPods - not the AirPods Pro.

Got any of them surprises?

Apple is expected to organize a second event this Fall to announce the new Macs (hello, redesigned MacBooks 14 and 16-inches with the new M chips) and new iPads. If true, today’s presentation should be solely focused on the iPhone, the Apple Watch and the AirPods 3. But last year we got to see a few surprises.

Excluding the categories mentioned before, in 2020, during an atypical year, it was in September that we got the Apple Watch SE, Apple Fitness+, and the Apple One. In October, 2020, we got MagSafe accessories and HomePod mini. It’s possible that Apple is getting ready to announce new, if minor, refreshes to these categories too - especially the ones that work as services.

I want to see what Tim is Cooking

Perfect then, you are in the correct place. The event is scheduled for this afternoon. Here is the starting time in a few timezones for your convenience:
    • 10:00 PDT
    • 18:00 BST
    • 19:00 CEST
    • 22:30 IST
    • 01:00 CST
    We don’t know for how long it’ll last, but expect at least one hour. Now you know the biggest rumors and the starting time, you only need to know that you can watch the event live on the Apple TV app, but also on YouTube. If the latter is the best for you, just press play on the video included at the end of this post.

Let’s watch it live and discuss
    Before the event starts, this thread is dedicated to what you are anticipating the most later today. If you are interested in following it live, come watch it with us, commentating as it happens. After the curtain falls, feel free to let everyone know what you liked, what you didn’t like, and if you are going to buy something.

3. TangSan
    Gingerbread Sep 14, 2021

4. the_o2
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Sep 14, 2021

5. rohitanand
    KitKat Sep 14, 2021

Y1602258808634 and Cheetosdust like this.
  6. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Sep 14, 2021

7. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Sep 14, 2021

dsmonteiro , Sep 14, 2021 :
    Today, we'll find if Apple feels threatened by WearOS 3. This would be the perfect timing for them to include Android support. (they won't)

SRD., G_plusone, rohitanand and 5 others like this.
  8. Cheetosdust

After checking the iPad Pro with ProMotion, I am really curious to see how it behaves in an iPhone. So far, they were incredibly smooth devices with a 60Hz panel. With a 120Hz one, the user experience should be outstanding.

That said, I believe the highlight today will indeed be the Watch Series 7. If the leaks are true (new design and larger screens), it's going to be amazing.

Just yesterday I was playing with a Series 6 (and with a Fold & Flip 3), and the watch is one another level. I checked the Samsung Galaxy Watch4 and they are good, really good actually, but I still think the Apple Watch is better.

9. Aaron2017
    Lollipop Sep 14, 2021

Aaron2017 , Sep 14, 2021 :
    I'm mostly curious how small they made that landing strip they call the notch this time. Other than that it'll probably be some minor improvements over the previous models (with an exception for the pro max maybe) against a higher price tag. I agree with you on the 120hz tho, given they could make 60hz feel so fluid this should be on another level. Also curious if they'll finally add an always on display, something is must have feature (or so i read here on the forum on a daily basis 😉)

10. Samarth Sawhney
    Cupcake Sep 14, 2021

MEK.B. likes this.
  11. rohitanand
    KitKat Sep 14, 2021

rohitanand , Sep 14, 2021 :
    I would also love to see inclusion of Android support but i too don't see it happening any time soon.

I've got the iPad Pro 2021 and it's one really amazing device... It's design, the look and feel is just awesome. I like it's sharp edge design and now with what we've seen through the Apple Watch leaks, I'm already liking the new look with bigger screen.

I've been eyeing the smartwatch segment since Moto 360 1st gen and this time I'm very much inclined to buy the new Samsung Galaxy Watch4.

12. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Sep 14, 2021

dsmonteiro , Sep 14, 2021 :
    What are the main use scenarios for you? I still feel like tablets (even Apple's) are neither here nor there. Too big to be a phone, not capable enough to be a laptop.

13. Cheetosdust

Hah, yep, not only it is one of the hottest topics here on the forums, it's also one of the rumors for the iPhone 13.

Hopefully, they'll do something special with the feature, just like they did with the widgets. :cool:

If you buy the Watch4, please do try it before. I checked the different models and the smaller one is just too small. To the point that I could not wear it.

I don't have the Pro, but I've used one - the 13-inch model - to read the newspaper and a couple of sites. It truly invites you to read more. :cool:

About the Watch Series 7, this is the hottest of the hot takes. :eek:

He's just there, casually defying the form of what a watch should be.

14. Aditya_4
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Sep 14, 2021

15. rohitanand
    KitKat Sep 14, 2021

rohitanand , Sep 14, 2021 :
    I'm in total agreement with you and still feels the same.
    I've bought the iPad solely to try my hand on digital illustrations. The integration and the fluid response of Apple pencil 2 made me do it.

IMG_20210914_195442__01.jpg

16. Aaron2017
    Lollipop Sep 14, 2021

Aaron2017 , Sep 14, 2021 :
    Oh yeah, it takes a long time for them to finally adopt some features, but when they do they really do a great jobs (see what i did there 🙂), like with those widgets, they handled that beautifully. I'm not an Apple fan, but credit where credit is due, they do get a lot of things right and their products are among the best out there.

17. G_plusone
    Nougat Sep 14, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida, Cheetosdust and SRD. like this.
  18. McJader
    Marshmallow Sep 14, 2021

McJader , Sep 14, 2021 :
    Tbh I feel the same, I was very recently (last month) looking to invest in a new tech product, and looked at the iPad as one of the options.
    Just couldn't find utility for it when I already have a good laptop and a mobile phone.
    For cases like @rohitanand I do suppose it brings a new dimension, with digital artwork.
    For example, @Tokolozi told me he bought the iPad instead of a new laptop.
    I just don't understand tablets, I suppose.
    (Sorry for the off topic)
    :rolleyes:

19. kushal__12
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 14, 2021

Helder_DAlmeida likes this.
  20. Cheetosdust

Rumor has it, Apple is just a few hours away of inventing a smaller notch. :rolleyes: