Apps not working on Wifi

1. hennygranden
    Donut Oct 15, 2020

hennygranden , Oct 15, 2020 :
    A lot of my apps are not working while I'm on WiFi. YouTube can not even be started while on WiFi, but if I use mobile data while starting it and after its started I can turn on WiFi and then look at videos while the WiFi is on. No notifications about incoming calls or messages comes through while I'm on WiFi, not from Messenger, WhatsApp, Instagram or some other Swedish apps.
    The absolutely biggest issue is that Google home app doesn't work while I'm on WiFi which makes it impossible to connect to my Google nest.. It's not the settings for the apps, as I've made sure they're not set to only use mobile data. I've tried so many things to resolve this problem but I have no idea what to do?
    The phone has been like this almost since I got it so I've missed so many phonecalls through WhatsApp and it's a really big issue now that I just bought 3 new Google nests to use at home...

2. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Oct 15, 2020

Tokolozi , Oct 15, 2020 :
    Hey, that's the first time I hear of the issue. Sounds like some configuration in your wifi setup.

On other wifi networks does it work?

We have a OP6 here with several google home products. All working without issue.

hennygranden likes this.
  3. hennygranden
    Donut Oct 15, 2020

I wish the WiFi was the problem but I've got the same issue with all WiFi networks I've ever been on, which is at least 20+ or something..
    It's really frustrating, I can't connect to Chromecast either, or the Google nest. When trying to stream Netflix or something similar from my phone it comes up on my phone that the Chromecast or Google assistans is available but when I click it's just browsing for ages and then doesn't connect

Tokolozi likes this.
  4. Tokolozi

And other phones on your network don't have this issue at all?

Like I said with our OP6 we don't face any of these issues. And I have more than 20 google home devices throughout my house.

What steps did you try already to resolve the issue on your device? Maybe there's some strange wifi settings such as for guest networks enabled or a lot of ports blocked using a security app.

Probably still good to post the issue here:
    https://forums.oneplus.com/feedback/

But seems to be a very localized issue.

5. Caomhin
    Community Hero 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Oct 15, 2020 :
    Also try resetting Apps permissions, it's possible the apps have not got the permissions to access WiFi.

Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > see all apps > select three dots > Reset app preferences.
    Then reboot.

This will not delete your apps data but you will have to provide permissions for all your Apps again.

Also check within the apps settings themselves, you may also have to give permission in the various apps as well.

6. hennygranden
    Donut Oct 15, 2020

No, I stayed at a surf camp last summer with 20 other people and no one had the same issue with the WiFi we were.using. My phone is a OP6 and my brother has a OP6T and he doesn't have this problem on the same WiFi networks that doesn't work with my phone.. We have also looked to make sure we have the same settings for out phones which we do. But his phone works.
    I've also tried everything that is recommended on the next comment
    Thanks, will try and post it there too..

Tokolozi likes this.
  7. Tokolozi

It could be something with your google account as well. Can you see in the play store if google services is updated completely?

8. hennygranden
    Donut Oct 15, 2020

9. hennygranden
    Donut Oct 15, 2020

Thanks for your help but I've already tried all of this at least 2 times..
    The thing is that apps like messenger and WhatsApp works on WiFi, but no notifications comes through while I'm on WiFi. So I can start WhatsApp and see that I've got 20 new messages in a group chat or that I've missed a phone call, and I can also make calls and use WhatsApp as normal when I start the app on WiFi. I
    I just don't get the notifications if my phone is using WiFi, but if I use mobile data I do get notifications. And I've been through every setting with WhatsApp and I have no idea why it's like that. WhatsApp and messenger worked completely fine the first 3 months I had the phone. It's almost like being connected to WiFi blocks some of functions on my phone

Tokolozi likes this.
  10. Tokolozi

Honestly. It might be best to back up your data and do a complete factory reset if possible.

Caomhin likes this.
  11. hennygranden
    Donut Oct 15, 2020

I'm not really sure where I can find that setting, but from what I could see in the play store nothing needs to be updated. Or haven't been completely updated

Tokolozi likes this.
  12. hennygranden
    Donut Oct 15, 2020

Yeah probably 😅 But I've been hoping to not need it as it seems like so much work and I'm afraid too much of what I have saved on my phone will disappear..
    Thank you for all your help and ideas though!

Tokolozi likes this.
  13. Tokolozi

Google at least keeps decent app back ups lately. Would just recommend downloading your images and documents mostly.

If it is still an issue after a complete reset, I would be completely baffled.

Caomhin likes this.
  14. G_Prakhar_Bansal_
    Cupcake Oct 15, 2020

15. Tokolozi

Caomhin likes this.
  16. antarachatt
    Eclair Nov 30, 2020

antarachatt , Nov 30, 2020 :
    I had the same issue since I returned from a trip, where I had connected to a few outside Wifi and the OP5T would connect to the home wifi but only some apps worked and could connect to the network, while the rest gave a message indicating no network connection.

Problem was solved after resetting the network settings from Settings->Reset Options->Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth

Remember to note the Wifi passwords and paired bluetooth devices before you do this :)