Are "Budget Bridging" Phones Necessary?

1. Bhaveee
    Honeycomb Apr 7, 2021 at 6:00 PM

Bhaveee , Apr 7, 2021 at 6:00 PM :
    Untitled-1.jpg

Greeting Community,

So buying a new smartphone nowadays can overload us with choice. All these options can make us go crazy with all the different features, "GIMMICKS" and all the bells and whistles of each smartphone. This can be an overwhelming process for anyone who is not a follower of the smartphone trends. Also if you are on a tight budget, that's a Catch-22. Budget bridging phones give you yet another option to choose from, but do you need it?

So what exactly are budget bridging phones?

Well, this is the term that I personally use and it's not really something official.
    Budget Bridging basically refers to devices that connect two price segments of a company.

Here, let me explain:

If we look into the market right now, most companies have mainly 3 price categories for their devices- Premium, Mid-Ranger, Budget Orienting. But Since Mid 2020, we have seen a trend where companies are actually trying to release devices that are bridging these 3 categories.
    Take OnePlus for example:

The 9 Series the premium segment of the company; The Nord Series is the mid-ranger and the Nord N series is the budget-oriented device lineup.
    Now with the introduction of the device like 9R, there is a bridge between Nord and The 9/9Pro.

Onelus 9.jpg

Maybe OnePlus' lineup doesn't seem complex enough so take a look at Samsung's lineup.
    We have
    M series ---- F Series ---- A series ---- Premium (Note Series, S Series, and Z Series)
    Note: the order of this list is based on the base prices.

samsung bb.jpg

Now we have a new lineup in Samsung's arsenal, FE/ Lite Series.
    The FE Series and Lite Series mainly focus on the features that are welcomed on the Premium S and NOTE Series devices and also have cost-cutting in some areas to price it competitively.

With all these varieties of devices, consumers have more options to choose from than ever before, but it also creates more confusion on what device to get.
    Also, there are some devices in one series that overlap with other series – be it in price or features – which can really fire up your high-tech brains.

This also creates a major DOMINO effect for the consumer. With so many options the consumer gets in a loop of thinking that for a little bit more money they can get a better phone. This causes consumers to delay their decision, spend more than they should/could or feel disappointed after the purchase.

But on the flip side, some of these Budget Bridging devices offer great features from the flagships into a less expensive package. Some also have essential features like performance, camera, etc. on power with the flagships.

So what do you think of this Budget Bridging segment? Do these devices offer options for consumers like us or do they make our tech-savvy minds go into a "Boot-Loop" of decision-making?

Let me know your thoughts on this.
    this is Bhaveee,
    Signing Out.

2. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Apr 7, 2021 at 6:11 PM

Yash Pratap Singh. , Apr 7, 2021 at 6:11 PM :
    These phones are definitely good for people looking to buy a modern phone in the launch year without spending the "premium" amount of money.
    For us tech savvy people who look for specs and a dozen reviews before making a purchase decision, these may not be the circle we're interested in 😉

3. dnagpaldg
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Apr 7, 2021 at 6:15 PM

dnagpaldg , Apr 7, 2021 at 6:15 PM :
    Great thread, @Bhaveee !

Personally, I feel that these budget bridging phones tap into yet another demographic in an increasing competitive market. Take the Samsung S20 series, for example. They launched the Samsung Galaxy FE for around $700, while the S20 Ultra was launched at $1500. This is a huge variation, and the fact is that even a $700 dollar phone is flagship territory for the vast majority of us. Meanwhile, the bottom line is that the other lines, like the A series or OnePlus' Nords, can never really command this kind of money simply because they're not the S series.

Its honestly something these companies have been testing out since the Samsung Galaxy S6/S6+ really - testing how much they can expand their flagship lineup and how many consumers they can reach without really diluting the brand. And the answer is, A LOT.

4. Sashank_10
    Gingerbread Apr 7, 2021 at 6:23 PM

Sashank_10 , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 7, 2021 at 6:23 PM :
    Personally I feel that many mobile brands are aiming to have a bigger fan base these days.

When it comes to oneplus, the features and quality that they offer is unparalleled, especially the Nord series unlike samsung ( it becomes difficult to choose because of the no. of variants they have)

Also I feel that it's great that we have mid rangers and bridge phones.

5. Bhaveee
    Honeycomb Apr 7, 2021 at 6:38 PM

Bhaveee , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 7, 2021 at 6:38 PM :
    True but the thing is there are certain times when even you have to take a dive into these categories. For example gifting a new device for your younger siblings. They are not ready to handle the flagship (that's what my parents said when i asked for a new phone😂) also you dont want them to lack any set of features.

Mainly my point is being a tech savvy person of the house brings you this responsibility to get everyone a nice phone.😂

rayprayas03 likes this.
  6. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Apr 7, 2021 at 6:45 PM

Yash Pratap Singh. , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 7, 2021 at 6:45 PM :
    Right on point 😎
    I do more research for buying other people's phones, because I know exactly what I want for myself...but I don't know if the person in case will be satisfied with their needs for their phone. 👀

7. rayprayas03
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 7, 2021 at 6:59 PM

rayprayas03 , Apr 7, 2021 at 6:59 PM :
    It depends upon the company..
    How they base their entire line up.
    Like Apple they have only premium phones, Samsung had all range of phones from budget to Premium.. said:
    Talking about Oneplus i guess they have phones in from Budget to Premium.
    Like N10,100 i guess are budget
    Oneplus Nord Mid Range
    Oneplus 9R &9 comes after that
    Oneplus 9 Pro comes in Premium range..

It's my personal opinion, don't take it seriously 😅

Bhaveee likes this.
  8. sumitMZ007
    Jelly Bean Apr 7, 2021 at 7:04 PM

sumitMZ007 , via OnePlus 6 , Apr 7, 2021 at 7:04 PM :
    Budget bridging phones like S20 FE can be good option for many who want that premium feels without hitting the bank!
    But over these types, I'll always prefer last year's flagship whose prices is within the same range and it will offer better overall functioning over these budget bridging phones! And premium segment is also getting into ultra premium zone like Folding phones ,top of the line phones!

X1592759870816 and Adam@OnePlus like this.
  9. Tilak G.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 7, 2021 at 7:11 PM

Tilak G. , Apr 7, 2021 at 7:11 PM :
    Thanks for this Thread @Bhaveee, It's Great!

In my opinion,These budget bridging phones are sometimes unwanted childs. But in few scenarios they actually offer better value for the money than those Top tier mobiles like what we've seen in this past month.
    Enthusiast Companies like Oneplus Going towards this path is Nice but actually it's disappointing and defames the Brand value in few Scenarios. Maybe not,But that's just what I think. People like me who can't convince Their parents to spend a gallon of money on a Smartphone can get the best Deal outta this "Budget bridging" mobiles. While giving you specs that stands the device out in performance and also making it not Kidney-selling-expensive.

And also I love this term "Budget bridging" ;). Let's make that the new Trend. XD

Bhaveee and O1614321823377 like this.
  10. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat Apr 7, 2021 at 7:13 PM

Bhaveee, O1614321823377 and Tilak G. like this.
  11. Tilak G.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 7, 2021 at 7:15 PM

O1614321823377 likes this.
  12. DRAS2019
    Gingerbread Apr 7, 2021 at 7:16 PM

13. kamal25
    Froyo Apr 7, 2021 at 7:21 PM

kamal25 , via OnePlus 5 , Apr 7, 2021 at 7:21 PM :
    In my opinion, oneplus is not a easy recommendation now. Over the years price of every new model is increasing and in 2021 situation is such that in every category i.e. Budget, mid range or premium, there are numerous other brands like Oppo, Redmi, MI and even Samsung in some cases who offer better specs and value for money.

In all the categories there are one or more better phones available offering better value for money than oneplus. It was not the case in past.
    Undoubtedly Oneplus devices had a great track record of performance and quality which is best in class but now is the time to rethink on price of products. Like the always did in past "Flagship Killer".
    Specially in market's like India buying a phone costing 70k is not a cup of tea for big chunk of people.

14. darrelllmr
    Froyo Apr 7, 2021 at 7:21 PM

15. Davewatson
    Eclair Apr 7, 2021 at 7:36 PM

Davewatson , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G , Apr 7, 2021 at 7:36 PM :
    I think budget bridging phones are a good thing. Unless a company has too many choices. (samsung, motorola, etc).
    I recently purchased the Nord N10 and to me this is a budget bridging phone so I'm surprised to see it in the budget category. I consider myself tech savvy and I did a lot of research before my purchase. I looked at everything from processor speeds to storage and everything in between and read dozens of reviews on several candidates.
    When I got to the end it was down to the OnePlus 8 (it was on sale) and the N10. My decision wasn't necessarily based on cost (although it is important) it was based on design.
    I think the OP8 is an awesome phone and had everything I was looking for. It is definitely a top tier phone. I was one click away from buying it, but in the end I was put off by the glass back and curved screen. I work in an industrial environment and so decided a plastic phone would last longer for me.
    The N10 is actually a very fast phone with a lot of features you can't get on other budget phones. I haven't experienced any of the bugs and issues that sometimes plague budget phones so far. With that being said I'm glad I chose it and still consider it a mid-range phone.
    I hope other people will do their homework and not get sucked into popular brand names, hype and sales pressure. There's a few good choices out there and a lot of bad ones.

16. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Apr 7, 2021 at 7:55 PM

Helder_DAlmeida , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 7, 2021 at 7:55 PM :
    Thanks for this thread @Bhaveee ! Are cheaper mobile phones needed? They are, and they are for all brand's. In my opinion, this new strategy by OnePlus makes perfect sense as it is already an established and successful company, it can compete with the big brands, Samsung, Apple. In order to compete with these, they must have a mobile phone with a very similar price, and for this reason, they must have lower segments, because otherwise they would lose too many customers who are unable to buy the flagship. We can't continue to think that, OnePlus, will release some "flagship killer", that's part of the pass and that's what makes a OnePlus a successful company.

Bhaveee and pkg3107 like this.
  17. vinodvijayan
    Honeycomb Apr 7, 2021 at 8:19 PM

18. pkg3107
    Honeycomb Apr 7, 2021 at 8:32 PM

pkg3107 , via OnePlus Nord , Apr 7, 2021 at 8:32 PM :
    Definately it's a win-win for both the companies and consumers. People having an attraction towards a certain brand tend to look out for options in or around it, not necessarily it be their latest flagship.

Companies also get a chance to explore different regions of the market, both according to price and region. Taking the example of OnePlus tried getting deeper into the Indian and European markets through Nord, which has been successful for them !!

And with the daily development in technology, some may not find it feasible to spend a lot on a mobile which they might need to change in a few years.

Bhaveee and O1617186111705 like this.
  19. Meet Gohil
    Eclair Apr 7, 2021 at 8:47 PM

20. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer Apr 7, 2021 at 9:29 PM

MosheG1 , Apr 7, 2021 at 9:29 PM :
    @Bhaveee
    So what do you think of this Budget Bridging segment? Do these devices offer options for consumers like us or do they make our tech-savvy minds go into a "Boot-Loop" of decision-making? said:
    Why not both? I definitely think that this gives more options and it is definitely better in general just to be able to get a feature set you may want at a lower price even if it will make it harder for you to decide what to get