Are "Budget Bridging" Phones Necessary?

1. rabidhamster
    Froyo Apr 8, 2021

rabidhamster , Apr 8, 2021 :
    The 9 Series the premium segment of the company ; The Nord Series is the mid-ranger and the Nord N series is the budget-oriented device lineup.
    Now with the introduction of the device like 9R, there is a bridge between Nord and The 9/9Pro.

Actually at the moment I would say the
    Oneplus 8 is the bridge between Nord and 9
    purely based on money because we are talking budget. [e]1f44d[/e]

X1592759870816 and Bhaveee like this.
  2. Bhaveee
    Honeycomb Apr 8, 2021

Bhaveee , via OnePlus 7T , Apr 8, 2021 :
    I agree but tbh personally when they are the "unwanted child" they just mess up everything 😂😂

Tilak G. likes this.

4. The1Lion
    Marshmallow Apr 8, 2021

The1Lion , Apr 8, 2021 :
    Companies target certain "markets" and the more markets your products appeal to, the more name recognition you'll have. So maybe someone who likes all the bells and whistles of flagships spends their expendable income on the latest offering where as someone who just needs a working phone for basic communication needs, isn't going to spend that amount. However, seeing the person with the latest flagship and perhaps liking the phone, now sees the same brand offered at a lower price for one of their many other products and decides to buy that one, perhaps based on their friends recommendation.

If we look at companies, we see trends. OnePlus targeted the developer community initially but grew. As they grew the cost of the product increased more and more. To keep customers, they targeted the mid range market and low cost market with Nord phones. Samsung is similar and has offerings in the same price range. So you walk in a store looking for a cheaper 5G phone and see a Samsung A32 5G for $280 and a OnePlus Nord N10 5G for $300, which do you buy? Assuming both work on your selected network, you may go by price and just grab Samsung. Here in NA, the Samsung will most likely win out due to brand familiarity, but by having an offering in the price range, OnePlus gets their name added to the bunch and in theory can chip away at Samsung's advantage.

Now some are going to say look at the stats, but if your buying in that price range, are you really stat hunting? o_O. No, most people buying in that price range just want a phone that works and having seen all the flashy flagships Samsung has (speaking as a NA here), Samsung will win out because of name recognition and price.

5. Y1615467437857
    Eclair Apr 8, 2021

6. NoviceAide
    Gingerbread Apr 9, 2021

NoviceAide , via OnePlus 8T , Apr 9, 2021 :
    Premium phones are much like the top end version of a car. Functionally they are not superior to the budget bridging phones. We are paying heavily for minor improvements that has nothing to do with the day to day usage. All that the premium label entails are the features companies say we need. Paying for a premium phone actually means paying extra for the marketing they do on this phone. In real world use, the extra usability provided by the premium phones is much smaller than the price difference they have.

7. gbvreddy
    Gingerbread Apr 9, 2021

8. V1616612797144
    Cupcake Apr 9, 2021

9. TheMystic
    Lollipop Apr 9, 2021

TheMystic , Apr 9, 2021 :
    Companies should focus on a small product range within each category in their portfolio. Samsung, Xiaomi and others are notoriously confusing in the number of devices they release, in the naming convention they use, among others.

OnePlus started off as a company that bought the Apple business model to the Android world, except for the pricing. It is okay to have a budget device, a mid-ranger and then the premium flagships. But just one model (with storage and RAM variants) for each category. I really don't see the point of the normal and Pro variant in terms of size. Both are almost similar in size, but one is stripped off features. Over time, OnePlus has drifted away from their initial focus and strategy unfortunately.

If I head OnePlus, I will remove the N series from the portfolio. I will just stick with the Mid-ranger (Nord) for under $400, the Premium (Regular variant) for $600 and the Flagship (Pro) for $800.

My team will focus on improving the software experience by quashing bugs, introducing useful/ most requested features, providing quick updates, etc.

I will also focus on introducing new product categories like laptops, smartwatches, TVs, earphones/ earbuds, and accessories for the existing lines to build an ecosystem of products that can connect with each other seamlessly, wirelessly to give a more complete experience to the users, and make it increasingly difficult for them to leave the ecosystem due to the quality of the products and their seamless inter-connectivity.

10. bobsta , via OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren Edition , Apr 9, 2021 :
    Samsung got it right with the S20 FE offering top specifications but not charging an arm and leg for it. Some companies think that a bridging phone should contain a substandard CPU, poor camera etc and yet charge high prices which then makes bridging phones unnecessary as the specification doesn't justify the price tag.

X1592759870816, derLenno and Bhaveee like this.
  11. Electro10
    Froyo Apr 9, 2021

12. derLenno
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Apr 9, 2021

derLenno , Apr 9, 2021 :
    I think the Budget Bridging Segment should be called Performance Segment. Because in reality, that's what it is.

Think of it that way: You are a person that wants a powerful, reliable smartphone that will get you through at least 3-4 years of usage and that you will not have to pay big bucks for. What do you do?
    That's right, just get an iPhone and call it a day.
    You buy a device that has the power of a premium phone, but doesn't come with all the gimmicks or bells and whistles.

One of the first devices that would bring a similar experience at a fair price point was the Poco F1. Top spec processor, high amount of RAM, rest was good enough. Now, this was by no means a great phone (except for the price-performance ratio), but it showed that the market was interested in getting flagship power without having to pay extra for redundant premium features. So that segment evolved and it's getting stronger and stronger now.

Take a look at the OnePlus 8T. Amazing price (at least in the EU), has all the flagship specs minus some that are Premium instead of Performance. It feels pure. It has the 120Hz screen (Performance), but not the curves or the QHD (Premium). It's a honest, reliable and powerful package that costs roughly half as much as the 8 Pro did. It gets the same updates, it has the same software, it doesn't compromise on performance.

By the way, this is what devices like the Nord are doing as well, just with a slightly lower-tier processor.

Do these phones bridge the gap between mid-range and top-of-the-line? Yup. But they have so much more going for them than just the lower price point!

I highly suggest that everyone who calls themselves tech-savvy to rethink what they really need out of a smartphone. Often times, the T line, or the R line, or the FE line, or whatever, will suffice and even exceed the needed feature set most of the time. I see myself going back and forth between the 8T and the 9 Pro and I think that I will stick with the 8T for a bit longer.

X1592759870816 likes this.
  13. MuraliKrishnan22 , via OnePlus 8T Lunar Silver , Apr 9, 2021 :
    Please kill the budget phone and add premium features to mid Ranger (like IP68 Rating and wireless charging)

Add more features to Premium phones

This way company will have minimum number of Phones. One Mid ranger & One Premium phone launch every year.

14. xXAstroXx
    Gingerbread Apr 9, 2021

xXAstroXx , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Apr 9, 2021 :
    This is complete BS...how are you going to use the Samsung S20 FE as a "budget bridge" device, when OP has only made the device available in INDIA and the S20 FE is available everywhere....
    I will rip any arguments you have with this article of yours. You also decided to make up a new marketing word to justify your position, "budget bridge" because this is a first I've heard of it. Look! I can make something up too! The OP 9 should be the "budget bridge" device because of what you sacrificed on it and the 9R imho is a better device and even has the repackaged SoC 865 aka 870.

16. F1610092482113
    Cupcake Apr 10, 2021

F1610092482113 , via OnePlus 8 , Apr 10, 2021 :
    I want to report... because my OnePlus 8 is lagging hai having too many heatunh issues, sometimes I feel like I'm not using a OnePlus flagship and I'm feel like I'm usking a phone which costs under 15k. It's a big issue because my OnePlus 8 is lagging soo much and heating soo much at a temperature of 47°c to 52°c.
    Please tell me what should I do?😟

17. Graniesboi , via OnePlus Community App , Apr 10, 2021 :
    When one plus fort started, they WERE the budget bridge. They offer a flagship spec and experience at an affordable price (all be it behind a invite system). When you looked at phones around that price, they were ether a decent value or barely an after thought by most companies.

I remember when the moto g launched it sold like hot cakes and people really questioned if they needed a flagship, but for those who did and didn't want to make a huge investment, OnePlus was always there to give them a good balance of price to performance.

However recently that midrange segment has gotta incredibly good to the point that samsung has even used it to try out new technologies and pour more effort into them than there flagships. The s20 under sold and for good reason. They were good phones but started at $1000. However the s20fe sold like crazy due to offering a good value and just enough of what people wanted fora flagship (and probably helped samsung make the cuts/changes the the s21 line). And that "enough" is a fine balance but when you get it right, it's an instant hit.

When comparing pricing for specs with one pluses main series with other flagships, they still offer a great value. But that title of "flagship killer" is going to phones like the s20fe and even some lower prices midrangers like the pixel 4a and nord n series that offer an incredible value performanc and, features for what your getting and the right compromises that most people will accept/overlook.

Long reply but I am really fascinated by this segment and it's highly competitive nature.

18. HuSSeiN97 , via OnePlus 7 Pro Nebula Blue , Apr 10, 2021 :
    of course it's necessary for people who can't afford to buy a flagship especially when the Price's are going higher and higher every year , even OnePlus it's self are loosing a lot of customers lately because of their price point