Are there any positives to the Nord?

1. mike_r1971
    Gingerbread Jul 30, 2020

mike_r1971 , Jul 30, 2020 :
    So after many views of video reviews, and mostly negative threads here, I’m really struggling to decide wether to cancel my order on Amazon, for the Nord.

I have loved the 4yrs experience with oxygen OS on my OP3, and before that, the OP One, both served me well and I was really looking forward to getting the Nord but I’m seeing soo many negatives and now the community is starting to get it and are posting quite a lot of threads, mostly negative (the screen tint thing, the most concerning) I’m really wondering wether it’s really gonna be a good choice, for a phone, I will be planning on keeping for the next 2-3 years, or beyond?

does anyone who has the Nord have any positives to say about it or despite the highlighted flaws, still feel like the purchase was worth it?

tokuroy likes this.
  2. tokuroy
    Donut Jul 30, 2020

tokuroy , via OnePlus Nord , Jul 30, 2020 :
    I like my Nord. Generally speaking, I am care full of "pocket" so that bending isn't a problem for me. My prior phone was Nokia 8. From there, this phone is faster, more storage and feels much better overall.

I did have oneplus 2 long ago and did miss slider switch on side so here I am.

Amanda W. and David Y. like this.
  3. Mehrsau
    Froyo Jul 30, 2020

Mehrsau , Jul 30, 2020 :
    Keep in mind, that mostly people with problems search the forums. And most reviews I saw, were really positive.

Lolindir88 likes this.
  4. fromsophie
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2020

fromsophie , Jul 30, 2020 :
    This is a brilliant mid-range device I believe for the price. The phone feels good in the hand, I have my phone in a case so don't notice the plastic frame. Display is great - very fast and smooth when switching between apps. Oxygen OS is clean and nice to use. Although be aware they have pre-installed a few apps, those being Facebook, Facebook Messenger, Instagram and Netflix. Battery performance is very good, tbh I find most brand new phones to have brilliant battery life when you first get them so it will be interesting to see how well the battery performs after 6+ months of usage. The camera is brilliant as a whole. The front cameras and video on both front and rear are fantastic. The video stabilisation is spot on. The 48mp rear camera is brilliant however the camera will default to 12mp but this has a lot more options like the wide angle, 2x zoom and being able to change the photo's aspect ratio. The wide-angle lens is where the camera is really let down. Pictures I've taken aspects of them come out grainy - most so for indoor shots. Also, the macro lens is useless. I did manage to take one really good photo with it but the rest were lacking colour and came out quite blury looking.

The other two issues I've experienced are:
    • When calling on Whatsapp the other person could hear their own vocie unless the phone volumn on my phone was turned right down
    • On the OP app the keyboard doesn’t auto captialize even when set
    I've not had the green tinting issue so far thankfully.

Overall, I've really like this phone (I've previously had the old iPhone SE and OP 5). I'm hoping OP can make some improvements to the wide angle camera with software updates. I'm also looking to keep this phone for about 2-3years and so far it is promising that I will be able to but only time will tell on that.

Hope this helps :)

mike_r1971 likes this.
  5. Mathis
    Gingerbread Jul 30, 2020

Mathis , via OnePlus Nord , Jul 30, 2020 :
    Got m'y nord two days ago. Exactly like you i've got the one and the 3t.

So after the firsts video reviews I was in doubt about my pre-order.

I think the problem is that the hype about this phone and the OnePlus communication was too much. If this phone was the OnePlus One in today context with 900€ flagdhip, it would be legit. But, that's true, it's not. And moreover, it's.. a phone. Not the holly grail.

So first things first, I choose the onyx gray 8gb 128go (the 12gb is too expensive imho). And, it's an excellent smartphone. I think we arrive today in days were there is no need of having the best flagship for having a decent Android experience.

Because of all the hype I was expecting a "wow effect", a flagship killer feature or something, but no, that's just an excellent smartphone.

I think the first thing for your choice is to see where are your priorities. Like, if you want the best camera experience, yes that's not the phone of the century.. but it's quite good ! The reviews are sometimes killing it but hey ! It's a 399€ smartphone and he do the job properly, really ! Just, that's true, you will not have goosebump like in an iPhone or Pixel. If it's really important for you, I will advise you to buy the pixel 4a (significantly less powerful, but in photo I suppose it will be a champion).

After this, the vibration system is much less powerful than the 3t, and the mono speaker isn't the best. But, that's the kind of thing I say to be picky. Really, it's not a huge problem. Not even a problem.

I can't say about durability for now, jerryrig scared me, but in hand this phone looks premium, and I use a case, I'm not really scared about this aspect.

And eventually, oxygen os. This is the biggest advantage on this phone. Everything you know, everything you like, for a decent price.

So, if you want a day to day phone, who will do everything good, really good, not the best of all but very good, at a decent price. No worry. Hope that's was helpful !

Rodrigo Simões and mike_r1971 like this.
  6. SJBoss
    Lollipop Jul 30, 2020

SJBoss , Jul 30, 2020 :
    It's not a bad Device it's just not living up to expectations and hype created by OnePlus. It's an average mid range smartphone with an above average SoC (SD 765G). almost every component is average at best so don't expect anything extra ordinary and costs more than other devices with similar or even better specs.

Keep in mind that the phones you've mentioned were flagships level, the Nord is a Mid-Ranger and has a plastic frame.

Tobikage and Bobbie63 like this.
  7. palc
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 30, 2020

palc , via OnePlus 3 Graphite , Jul 30, 2020 :
    Can the pre-installed apps be uninstalled?

8. fromsophie
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2020

Facebook and Instagram apps can however Netflix can only be disabled. If you factory reset the phone those apps will come back as their pre-installed on the ROM

palc likes this.
  9. SJBoss
    Lollipop Jul 30, 2020

SJBoss , Jul 30, 2020 :
    You can uninstall amazon maybe... But not Netflix. you also get shitty dailyhunt app in India.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020

palc likes this.
  10. DrSkiba
    Froyo Jul 30, 2020

DrSkiba , via OnePlus Nord , Jul 30, 2020 :
    For me, everything is fine apart from the camera, which in its current iteration takes very underwhelming photos that look washed out. I wish they opted for 2 better camera sensors on the back rather than an okay main sensor and 3 literally bad/useless ones.

The rest of the package is, as I say, fine. Considering the price, it's still a good deal if you're willing to accept some weaknesses.

Sadly, for me, I value camera performance, so I'm unsure whether I'll keep the Nord, or wait for a software fix. I didn't believe the marketing hype on "flagship camera", but I was still hoping for something a little more capable than what was delivered.

mike_r1971 likes this.
  11. David Y.
    OxygenOS Staff Member Jul 30, 2020

12. palc
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 30, 2020

palc , via OnePlus 3 Graphite , Jul 30, 2020 :
    What's happening to Oneplus these days, I really don't understand.
    I am a long time OP3 user and have currently ordered the Nord. Ordered the pop-up box and seeing all these issues, I'm really thinking of just cancelling the order.
    Screen-tinting, uninstallable bloatware apps, Ambient display issues.. Macro and Depth cameras just for the sake of adding cameras.
    Doesn't seem like the Oneplus we've known all these years.
    I get it, it's a mid-ranger, I'm not expecting flagship performance and specs. But if you market it as no bloatware then why give bloatware? Why include a low grade 90Hz Amoled screen? Could simply have gone with 60Hz good Amoled. It seems like it's just riding on the hype trend and will soon fall flat on it's face once more people get their hands on the device and face the issues. Why spend on show-piece cameras when you could use that money elsewhere. Really disappointing.

PurplePulp, SJBoss and mike_r1971 like this.
  13. bezilz
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2020

bezilz , Jul 30, 2020 :
    Had got the pop up invite code, ordered it on 29th July and Cancelled it Today due to seeing numerous issues with display. I was put off by the same from buying OP8 pro as like you i too intend to keep device with me for 3 years (been using OP5). Great fan of OnePlus but the issues with display is not something I am willing to take risk at the moment.

There had been cases when it started coming after few days, check the lab reviewer's latest thread with OP8 Pro

14. Deepak_koslia
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2020

15. krsna_cham
    Froyo Jul 30, 2020

krsna_cham , Jul 30, 2020 :
    I think is a good upgrade from OP3 to Nord and a good deal at this price.
    What is different is in the past with same price you could get a flagship product, now only a mid-range device and there are compromises so people have to 'settle' now.
    Its not the best cameraphone,its not fast and reactive like a 8 series so just dont expect the best.
    If you are not interested for 5G you may consider a flagship device from 2019 like 7T

16. Tobikage
    Nougat Jul 30, 2020

17. ASTuncer
    Donut Jul 30, 2020

ASTuncer , Jul 30, 2020 :
    This is my first one plus phone and I should say I liked the design and usage of the one plus Nord. Currently I am using the Nord as a second phone but I can change later on as a main phone who knows. It is worthed the money and.

Amanda W. likes this.
  18. Nethercoat
    Froyo Jul 30, 2020

Nethercoat , Jul 30, 2020 :
    Ugh, so much negativity. I can't see at any point that this was billed as a flagship phone so not sure why some people are annoyed it's not got flagship specs. It's a compromise sure but the idea is that it's a good cohesive package.

Ive been using it for a couple of days now, coming from a Oneplus 5 and it's a definite upgrade. Screen is great, phone is fast, camera is decent and the addition of a wide angle sensor is nice too. A oneplus 8/8 pro is going to be better, but at nearly half the price I can definitely live with the compromises it brings to the table.

OnePlus are great at building up hype and I was hyped too. Would I have got an equivalent Samsung mid-ranger? Probably not. Am I happy with the Nord? yeah.

umberto75 and mike_r1971 like this.
  19. fromsophie
    Honeycomb Jul 30, 2020

They did pitch the camera to be a flagship level which I can't say it is due to the quality of the wide-angle lens. Rest of the phone I'm totally happy with. Lovely all round good device :)

mike_r1971 likes this.
  20. Timalay
    Gingerbread Jul 30, 2020

Timalay , Jul 30, 2020 :
    God yes. I upgraded my old OnePlus X for a Moto X4, and can not tell how convenient was just to flick the alert slider. I am so glad to have it back on my OnePlus Nord.