[ASK] OnePlus 6 to OnePlus 9 Pro or 10 Pro

1. Flower07
    Cupcake Apr 16, 2022

Flower07 , Apr 16, 2022 :
    Hey guys,

I need help in making this decision. I have used OnePlus since its "one" days and then got "3" and then 6. It has been 4 years with my OnePlus 6 8GB 128GB and I want to upgrade.

My usage: Gaming (COD, PUBG, etc.), Watch Videos (YouTube, Netflix, etc.) and other regular stuff (calls, texting, etc.) I have a DSLR for serious planned photography sessions. My phone clicks are limited to day light, casual food or bored selfies. I was and still am satisfied with my OnePlus 6's GCAM photos already so anything better than this, I am pretty sure to be happy.

With exchange offer, GST savings and the SBI card offer (in India), it comes to these prices:
    • OnePlus 9 Pro 5G 12GB RAM, 256GB - Rs. 33,500
    • OnePlus 10 Pro 5G 12GB 256GB - Rs. 44,500
    Leaving out the price factor, which one would you recommend for my usage?

I am willing to shell out the extra 10K but if 9 Pro can do what I want to then I do not see the need to pay extra. Any advice from current 9 pro and 10 pro users would be really appreciated.

Meanwhile, I will search the forum and read through other relevant threads. Thank you!

PS: Please do not recommend anything but OnePlus. I am not going to deal with a 20W charger in 2022 and do not want to pay 20K more for "brands".

2. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Apr 16, 2022

Swejuggalo , Apr 16, 2022 :
    I have both 9 Pro and 10 Pro (previous owner of 7 Pro and 8 Pro).
    If macro shots, MEMC, and the better wide angle lens of 9 Pro is top priority. Choose 9 Pro.

But on 10 Pro you get longer software support, dual calibrated screen and LTPO2. More powerful ISP. 150 degree lens and fisheye effect if you are into that. And a few more camera features that you probably already read about, like for example 10 bit color.

Once the software is settled in, and proper support for the device and SoC rolls in, I bet 10 Pro will have benefits over 9 Pro in several games and overall usage in parts that it may not rule in at the moment.
    Theoretically the size of the cooling system would be better in 10 Pro, provided you have the ambient air to allow it to cool down enough. But in my stress tests the stability results are only slightly better in 10 Pro (3dmark stress tests - purely talking maintaining performance level score. Not peak results).

Both 888 and 8 GEN1 are pretty hot SoCs. So under the hotter seasons this may limit both devices slightly more than what your current 845 does.

If the 3 first properties of 9 Pro are not important to you, 10 Pro may be better in the long run, especially due to 1 extra year before reaching End of Life.

Some test have pointed out some weaker structural integrity in 10 Pro. If you feel that you are a bit clumsy it might be a factor to consider. But personally I'm not worried about it.

Flower07 likes this.

Flower07 likes this.
  4. Flower07
    Cupcake Apr 17, 2022

Flower07 , Apr 17, 2022 :
    Thank you so much! I got the OnePlus 10 pro pine green 💚 I'll wait for a suitable tempered glass and rugged case. The OnePlus experience store said it may take a month.

5. treebender , via OnePlus Community App , May 21, 2022 :
    i am sorry i am to late to advise you to WAIT till those "corrections" 10 needs to smooth out the problems listed thru out the forum.
    most seem to be OS related ( thanks google) if you couldn't wait i would go with the 9... for the simple fact that you will upgrade the next phone before support ends for either one
    previous owner of 6 and 8.. and now regretting getting the 10