Ask our Software Team: Part 1 – Launcher/Community App

?

How satisfied are you with the OnePlus Community App?

1. Very satisfied.

2. Neutral/No opinion.

3. Not satisfied, needs improvement.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ruby G.
    NA Community Manager Staff Member Sep 27, 2018

Ruby G. , Sep 27, 2018 :
    softwarebobchen.jpg

Hello friends,

Great ideas are often inspired by those around them. This small instance of the butterfly effect is courtesy of @cdnfarmer ’s comment on @Cheetosdust ’s software team appreciation thread.

We’ve shared some staff interviews before, like the one with our product manager Vito and a few familiar faces via the staff bingo interviews. This time we’d like to give you the chance to ask the questions. We invite each user to submit up to two questions, 1 personal and 1 about the staff member’s area of expertise. Each staff member will pick 10-15 questions to answer.

Tentative Interview schedule

This week’s spotlight is @Bob C. who works on the OxygenOS launcher. He also works regularly to refine your community app experience. Got two questions for Bob? Leave them in the comments and come back on September 30 to see his stickied responses.

Attached Files:

2. Bob C.
    OxygenOS Product Staff Member Sep 29, 2018

Stickied Post
    Bob C. , Sep 29, 2018 :
    That’s a tough question. I actually want to push the announcements from the community to Shelf. But I haven’t had time to integrate it.

3. Bob C.

Stickied Post
    Bob C. , Sep 29, 2018 :
    Of course OnePlus Launcher! But in “closed” closed beta, I use a developer version.

luxuskamel, Hexde, Salt505 and 5 others like this.
  4. Bob C.

Stickied Post
    Bob C. , Sep 29, 2018 :
    It’s a long story. Before I was a crazy fan of custom ROMs for Android. I wanted to build a perfect ROM for Android users. I met people who worked for OnePlus.

5. Bob C.

Stickied Post
    Bob C. , Sep 29, 2018 :
    We will seriously consider that.

6. Bob C.

Stickied Post
    Bob C. , Sep 29, 2018 :
    For third party launchers like Nova, they provide users with lots of customisation options. But within the launcher team, we want to balance the customisations. We want to keep our product minimal and user friendly for newcomers.

Zluk, Y1522228716699, leroe and 15 others like this.
  7. Bob C.

Stickied Post
    Bob C. , Sep 29, 2018 :
    Work out, jogging. Especially on Thursdays, we have sport night at our company to play basketball with OnePlus teammates.

8. Bob C.

Stickied Post
    Bob C. , Sep 29, 2018 :
    We still need time to integrate more features. The app version follows the web version in development. We are trying to implement some unique features only for the app.

9. Bob C.

Stickied Post
    Bob C. , Sep 29, 2018 :
    I think for the feed, we are testing it internally but it still has some performance issues. Also we are improving our shelf experience so in the future you might have two options.

10. Bob C.

Stickied Post
    Bob C. , Sep 29, 2018 :
    I think within our team, esp the product team, we see AI as just a tool to help us improve our user experience. It’s not something you can’t control. Just like a hammer, you can use it to destroy or fix a car.

11. Bob C.

Stickied Post
    Bob C. , Sep 29, 2018 :
    Catching bugs. It makes everyone’s life easier.

12. Bob C.

Stickied Post
    Bob C. , Sep 29, 2018 :
    User’s behaviour. When you try to develop something new, you always have to consider and predict their behaviour - how users are used it and how they will react to the change. Every time you come up with something new, you have to take care of the old one.

13. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Community Expert Sep 27, 2018

dsmonteiro , Sep 27, 2018 :
    Thanks for the opportunity, @Ruby G.!

Hi there, @Bob C.,

• What is the feature you want the most to implement but still haven't had the chance?
    • Have you considered adding some sort of Live Chat to the Community App, like Reddit now has?

14. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Sep 27, 2018

Cheetosdust , Sep 27, 2018 :
    Hello Ruby,

thank you for putting the thread together and thanks to all the team members who are taking the time for these interviews.

That was a great idea, so kudos to @cdnfarmer.

I have a question: is the team considering letting users choose Google Feed when you swipe left on the OnePlus Launcher? Are the users going to be able to choose between that and the Shelf?

I'm not saying one is better than the other, just asking if the option will be there.

Thanks in advance @Bob C. and keep up the great work.

Bonus question: Dark Mode on the Community App? Yay or Nay? :p

15. Dresa91
    Android Q Sep 27, 2018

Dresa91 , Sep 27, 2018 :
    Great idea @Ruby G., thanks :)
    1. Is it possible to add folders in app drawer or add more possibilities to customize the launcher? -> many users are asking for it.
    2. What launcher are you using, @Bob C.:p?

16. GopalB.
    Nougat Sep 27, 2018

GopalB. , Sep 27, 2018 :
    Wow... This looks great...

Q1: Can we have dark mode in all oneplus apps??? Also the quick settings menu is not black but grey...

Q2: Who feels more connected to OnePlus... The staff or the user??? (Don't say both...)

17. Dresa91
    Android Q Sep 27, 2018

Dresa91 , Sep 27, 2018 :
    A2: both :p

18. GopalB.
    Nougat Sep 27, 2018

19. Moin2200
    KitKat Sep 27, 2018

Moin2200 , Sep 27, 2018 :
    Nice idea!
    1. What features are you looking to be adding in the future?
    2. Have you considered adding google feed ?

20. gohar_nadeem
    Honeycomb Sep 27, 2018

Imo73p, Afzal Khan, r.hutton and 3 others like this.
  21. Dresa91
    Android Q Sep 27, 2018

GopalB. likes this.
  22. GopalB.
    Nougat Sep 27, 2018

GopalB. , Sep 27, 2018 :
    Which one is personal question now??? :tearsofjoy:

Dresa91 likes this.
  23. FlixbusLennart
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Sep 27, 2018

FlixbusLennart , Sep 27, 2018 :
    Don't really have a question about any of these apps. But I assume Bob reads through these comments and might read mine too. If so:
    I just want to let Bob know that I have a custom ROM flashed on my device since tuesday evening and I am already missing the great OnePlus Launcher... Good work man.

24. Dresa91
    Android Q Sep 27, 2018

sethisidd, GopalB. and G_plusone like this.
  25. Cheetosdust

Hmmm, @Ruby G.

I would love to see an extra slot added to that schedule: someone from hardware - design.

Maybe schedule his/her presence around the launch of a certain device and I'm pretty sure it's going to be interesting :)

26. youbi
    Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Sep 27, 2018

youbi , Sep 27, 2018 :
    Great idea. :)

@Bob C., Welcome to the forums. :) Since you work also on the community app I have to ask something about it. :p

1 - Why the FAB button of the community app is for creating a thread instead of for using search?

The main thing we do in an online forum should always be search first and ask later, and this shiny button to create a thread always showing there, really sets a trend and the trend it sets unfortunately is to create a thread... So we get tons of duplicate thread every day. :( Any chance this FAB button can be changed? If not, why exactly are you keeping that FAB button for a feature that normal users rarely need to use in a forum this big... ;)

Sorry @Ruby G. , had to ask that. :p Just trying to find ways to keep this community (and mods) sanity. :sweatsmile:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018

27. Dresa91
    Android Q Sep 27, 2018

Dresa91 , Sep 27, 2018 :
    good idea :p
    but there is someone -> @Carl @twitter :p : just saying :p (Headphone jack :p )

28. Cheetosdust

Carl is too busy drooling over the design on the iPhone XS Max ;)

29. Dresa91
    Android Q Sep 27, 2018

Dresa91 , Sep 27, 2018 :
    Ok :D :p Didn't know that :p :D

30. BeingIncog
    Marshmallow Sep 27, 2018

BeingIncog , Sep 27, 2018 :
    i like lean launcher a lot!!!, i have ocd of many things, like the quick settings has 6 icons and we pull more it only has 4, which triggers OCD, i also 6 by 7 or 8 rows and columns of apps and apps shortcut on app drawer and homescreen respectively!!!

31. _Loucif_Redjai_
    Gingerbread Sep 27, 2018

_Loucif_Redjai_ , Sep 27, 2018 :
    hi what up guys? I'd like to mention that the OnePlus launcher lacks some features .
    - the additional fonts (police)
    - more themes ( like Samsung, Xiaomi...)
    in general we can't costumize as we want our display or launcher, we don't have lots of choices,