Ask our Software Team: Part 3 – Camera

1. Jimmy Z. OxygenOS PM Staff Member Oct 15, 2018

Jimmy Z., Oct 15, 2018 :
    jimmyask.jpg

Hello OnePlus users.

I am Jimmy, Product Manager from the OnePlus Camera team. I am in charge of everything about Camera and Gallery, including features, UX and image quality. Very excited to start my Q&A thread!

Each of you can ask me two questions. One can be about me personally and the other can be about my work. Feel free to ask me anything about the Camera and Gallery. This Thursday I will come back to answer some of them. Cheers!

P.S. Any questions about image quality, please attach photos for us to analyze. Thanks!

2. Jimmy Z. OxygenOS PM Staff Member Oct 18, 2018

Stickied Post
    Jimmy Z., Oct 18, 2018 :
    We have subjective and objective testing. For objective testing we will measure some data like texture, noise, color, dynamic range, artifacts, and autoexposure in our image lab. We will give them each a score, and then we’ll calculate a final score to see if it’s good enough.

For subjective testing, we will take several photos with different flagship devices in the same scenario. We will compare the photos side by side to see which one is the best. If ours is not the best, we will tune to make it close to the best one. Sometimes we also do some blind tests to find the best one, as some community users have seen before.

3. Jimmy Z. OxygenOS PM Staff Member Oct 18, 2018

Stickied Post
    Jimmy Z., Oct 18, 2018 :
    It’s possible as the technology is developing all the time.

4. Jimmy Z. OxygenOS PM Staff Member Oct 18, 2018

Stickied Post
    Jimmy Z., Oct 18, 2018 :
    We always think about offering simple experiences. For our camera, manual video options is too complicated for most of our users so this kind of professional features are lower in priority for us.

5. Jimmy Z. OxygenOS PM Staff Member Oct 18, 2018

Stickied Post
    Jimmy Z., Oct 18, 2018 :
    We don’t think it’s very necessary because too much blurriness makes the photo look unnatural. We always make the suitable amount of depth of field in our portrait mode.

6. Jimmy Z. OxygenOS PM Staff Member Oct 18, 2018

Stickied Post
    Jimmy Z., Oct 18, 2018 :
    We are preparing a BIG improvement for OnePlus 6 users. We will release it in a very near future.

7. Jimmy Z. OxygenOS PM Staff Member Oct 18, 2018

Stickied Post
    Jimmy Z., Oct 18, 2018 :
    We have Pixel, iPhone, Samsung and so many other mobile phones in our company as comparison devices. I don’t need to own any of them personally. I have a Sony A7II and I really love it.

8. Jimmy Z. OxygenOS PM Staff Member Oct 18, 2018

Stickied Post
    Jimmy Z., Oct 18, 2018 :
    We are considering this and will add this feature in the following updates.

9. Jimmy Z. OxygenOS PM Staff Member Oct 18, 2018

Stickied Post
    Jimmy Z., Oct 18, 2018 :
    I love travelling and I always grab my OnePlus phone with me to take photos of beautiful landscapes.

10. Jimmy Z. OxygenOS PM Staff Member Oct 18, 2018

Stickied Post
    Jimmy Z., Oct 18, 2018 :
    Not all of our users are boys firstly and secondly our beauty feature is not like other phones’ beauty features. We just simply remove some blemishes and small flawson the face.

11. Jimmy Z. OxygenOS PM Staff Member Oct 18, 2018

Stickied Post
    Jimmy Z., Oct 18, 2018 :
    We keep improving the experience of the Gallery app and we will update our Gallery faster through Google Play. As for the icon design, suggestion accepted!

12. monjur_miah Gingerbread Oct 15, 2018

13. Moin2200 Jelly Bean Oct 15, 2018

Moin2200, Oct 15, 2018 :
    Personal: what do you enjoy taking pictures of?

Work: how do you test each new improvement to the camera?

Also thanks for making the time for this

14. Rithari Gingerbread Oct 15, 2018

15. mehulgupta462 Gingerbread Oct 15, 2018

mehulgupta462, Oct 15, 2018 :
    1539610956689.jpg
    2 x zoom is blurry and noisy
    2x 1539610956844.jpg 1539617068467.jpg

1539617068649.jpg
    1 st photo its a low light shot which should be better because this light is available light not a magic of low light camera
    3rd photo is of pro mode with my settings which shows accurate colours and white balance
    4th photo is of auto mode which has dull colours and warmer tone which is not needed

About oneplus 5t
    low light camera in those conditions where camera cannot work
    auto mode does not choose accurate iso, white balance
    2x zoom has some noise
    low light video is unstable eis does not work properly

new features that should be tried to give to make camera perfect
    ar emojis
    super slo mo
    different modes like night mode, food, sports mode etc

pls listen to my views and i trust u will look into this

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018

16. Shivang Joshi The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Oct 15, 2018

Shivang Joshi, Oct 15, 2018 :
    Currently, I'll just post this question:

Work: Have you ever thought about adding Manual Video options to the Camera App? (I've been asking for them since a long time and would love to see them)

17. MANYA_1999 Honeycomb Oct 15, 2018

MANYA_1999, Oct 15, 2018 :
    What is your opinion about focus peeking feature in other phones?Is there any chance that we may get it in future?
    It feels very helpful while using manual focus,atleast to me.

18. Plenkske Dutch POC Assistant Head Moderator Oct 15, 2018

Plenkske, Oct 15, 2018 :
    Personal question:
    What is your favorite subject to photograph ?

Work question:
    Do you think that some day we can have 10x or more optical zoom in a phone's camera ?

19. YASHPLUSONE Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 15, 2018

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018

20. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Oct 15, 2018

Dunnow, Oct 15, 2018 :
    Hi @Jimmy Z. nice to hear from you again, Imma rapid fire some questions more related to the work done in the camera, hope it's not an issue for you guys... :)

• Can we add a slider for the depth effect in portrait photos? (like pixel 3, something I requested back in February during the Camera Forum)
    • Can we have pro mode for video?
    • Could we get some button, in automatic (video and even photo) to select set focus to infinity / macro and keep it fixed there? (particularly useful during night scenarios)
    • Could we get some focus tracking features?
    These are the questions I ask myself more often, I could also share some HDR pictures that were merged improperly leaving a lot of "ghosting", I could send some examples, but I think @otto2 already shared them with some of you guys

About the gallery... I would like for it to not attach itself to my google photos trash, is it possible to do so? It makes the gallery app take up way too much space in disk.

21. YASHPLUSONE Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 15, 2018

YASHPLUSONE, Oct 15, 2018 :
    also can a dual lens of the OnePlus 5/5t/6/6t having such great pixel counts not perform better than the pixel devices? having only a single lens!
    can this feat be achieved through optimising software on the existing hardware?
    good day!

22. aykut39 Honeycomb Oct 15, 2018

abelaven, Mukresh SuThAr and olariu like this.
  23. 9689633447 Gingerbread Oct 15, 2018

9689633447, Oct 15, 2018 :
    U r making us fool every day by this fake post ...Camera quality has gone worse in OP5/T u don't ask anything about that

24. Dresa91 Oreo Oct 15, 2018

Dresa91, Oct 15, 2018 :
    Hey :)
    Thanks for your participation:)

Personally:
    What do you personally think about the AI-hype and the "more-lenses"-hype (e.g. Samsung Galaxy A9)? Maybe more lenses compared or a strategy like Google's strategy with AI?

Work:
    Is it planned to implement using alert slider for (optical) zooming?

25. hennes KitKat Oct 15, 2018

hennes, Oct 15, 2018 :
    Hallo!
    Why did you design the UI with so many semi-transparent surfaces?
    I would prefer to have as few semitransparent surfaces as possible. I once wrote an app that takes up your UI and develops it further.
    Here are some pictures of it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And please excuse me for asking a second question in this regard, but wouldn't it make sense to implement a compression function? This would make YaImCo superfluous, especially considering the situation that you can only upload 2 MB image files here. (5MB seems to be rolled out just for the forum)

Mydnite, Adeckpm, TibiTibi and 11 others like this.
  26. YASHPLUSONE Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 15, 2018

olariu likes this.
  27. Dunnow The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Oct 15, 2018

Dunnow, Oct 15, 2018 :

it goes WAY beyond pixel count or lens quality. Google has some in-house developed chips to precisely calculate and do AI on the photos. Their pictures are merged and post-processed from between 10 and 15 shots, each, single, shot.

28. YASHPLUSONE Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 15, 2018

YASHPLUSONE, Oct 15, 2018 :
    thanks for the info
    well if not as good or better than the pixel they definitely can improve from what they are now!

Harish1729 and olariu like this.
  29. Mainaks0290 Donut Oct 15, 2018

Mainaks0290, Oct 15, 2018 :
    The portrait mode isn't that impressive. Any plan to improve it by any future software releases?

Also the low light conditions are not pleasant. Any plan to improve this as well?

Moreover my camera app crashed all of a sudden 2-3 days back not sure why. Just before crashing I have been taking photos continuously for almost an hour on this device.After crashing, I removed the app from the memory and restarted the camera. This behaviour happened thrice in a window of 2 hours and continuous lly taking pictures.

30. sethisidd Jelly Bean Oct 15, 2018

sethisidd, Oct 15, 2018 :
    Questions

Personal:
    Which mode do you prefer taking photos in?

Technical:
    Is OnePlus planning to improve on post AI processing in photos and if planing to add another lens?