Ask our Software Team: Part 4 - OxygenOS

1. Szymon K. OxygenOS PM Staff Member Nov 12, 2018

Szymon K., Nov 12, 2018 :
    szymblck.jpg

Hello friends!

My name is Szymon, I'm a long-standing member of OxygenOS team, currently leading our endeavours in India.

We're always very eager to hear your feedback and ideas, so AMA, and I'll do my best to answer your questions. Following our Q&A standard, each of you can ask me up to 2 questions: one personal and one about OxygenOS. Drop your questions in the thread now and I'll answer them on Friday, November 16th. Happy to check what're you guys curious about!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2018

2. Szymon K. OxygenOS PM Staff Member Nov 16, 2018

Stickied Post
    Szymon K., Nov 16, 2018 :
    Thanks for your questions guys! Addressing most "liked" ones and those that repeated most often:

We've decided that instead of this way of skipping songs, would be better to just use off-screen gestures. You can draw ">" to go to a next song. Options like double tapping power button or holding it for a second cause conflict with other actions (launching camera or Google Assistant).

We're striving to make using our smartphones with one hand as easy as possible, hence i.e. gestures to drag down quick toggles, moving navigation to the bottom of the screen in multiple apps or rearranging position of key icons. But when it comes to the solution of having bigger blank space on top - we've tried it before Android Pie and we received a lot of negative feedback from you guys, saying that it's a poor use of space. Somehow, it has to be about a balance between convenient use with one hand, but also productive use with both hands.

I understand that by "pure black theme" you guys mean theme that'd have Black #00000 as a background for apps. I've spoken with many of you, and I understood that primarily reason for you to request for it is that you want to save some battery. In fact though, difference between what could be saved with current dark theme vs what could be with pure black is not major at all, while design-wise, experience would be not too appealing.

Working in India: for me, best part of India are the people! Vast majority is super friendly, kind and open. Food is amazing as well. When it comes to worst, probably no surprise: traffic.

We're considering Google Feed, even testing it internally, but for now, we're more focused on making Shelf even more useful and unique.

I didn't even know Toy Story 4 is in plans, I think I've only seen the first one of the series, so not excited at all :p. Super excited about GoT though and couple of other shows coming back next year.

We still have the option of clearing cache for each app, but the thing about clearing cache is that it has downsides. Each app has to rebuild it after opening, and it will consume additional resources, like battery or potentially mobile data.

Advanced optimization is all about learning usage patterns and being more strict when it comes to waking up apps in the background. Imagine that you have an app that you're using once a year, i.e. to buy a flight tickets, and you don't care about it until you're planning your next trip. But this app might want to wake up in the background couple of times a day, i.e. to send you promotional notifications. We're preventing it in a smart way to improve battery life.

And thanks for the hair compliment! Not doing much though, using same Polish hair product for last 12 years or so.

To address all the Android Pie update questions: we've committed to update OnePlus 3, OnePlus 3T, OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 5T, and we'll certainly deliver. But as always, we're not sharing any ETAs. Please, be patient fam,

Huge sentiment to my white OnePlus One, but I think my fave would be Midnight Black from OnePlus 6 or OnePlus 6T,

When it comes to accent color, we made our next step with applying dark theme to OnePlus applications, and we'll see about the next steps. Color in apps is more complicated, especially after we've given the option to pick literally any color you guys want.

I'm happy to be part of OxygenOS team for most of it's existence, and obviously we wouldn't be doing something we don't love using ourselves :)

When it comes to HydrogenOS - there's one product team working on both OxygenOS and HydrogenOS, and of course specifics of Chinese market determine certain approach and differences, but system level and vast majority of features remains the same.

Personally, I believe it's way too early to plan for foldable phones, as technology will be maturing for years before those would really be useful - if that even will be a direction for us or the industry.

Regarding status bar block - that's an interesting idea, we'll research more with users and consider this scenario.

We've heard from Indian users that usage circumstances of this feature is different in here, as the way users use their phones and approach privacy is bit different. We're keeping it in mind and we'll consider it in future roadmaps.

When it comes to my favourite non-OnePlus phone, I think I'd go with last phone I had before OnePlus One - Nexus 4. Slim, with unique design, good software experience - really liked this one.

Thank you all for you answers, and till next time!

3. GopalB. Marshmallow Nov 13, 2018

GopalB., Nov 13, 2018 :
    Why there is no pure dark theme in oneplus???

Best and worst part about working in India... ;)

4. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Nov 13, 2018

Cheetosdust, Nov 13, 2018 :
    Hello and thank you.

Here's my question for the Software team (you :)):

Why is the Google Feed instead of the Shelf only available for the T-Mobile variant of the OnePlus 6T?

Here's my personal question:

How excited are you about Toy Story 4? :p

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018

5. luxuskamel KitKat Nov 13, 2018

luxuskamel, Nov 13, 2018 :
    Can we get a dark theme that's really black (AMOLED optimal), not just dark?
    Edit ah gopal already asked

What feature was the hardest to implement?

6. Shivang Joshi The Lab - OnePlus 6T Reviewer Nov 13, 2018

Shivang Joshi, Nov 13, 2018 :
    I've noticed that the option of "Cache" has been removed from the Settings. (On OnePlus 6T/Android Pie probably)

So, do you plan on bringing back that option? (It was really a great way to free up some storage from the device. The last time I cleared it on my OnePlus 5, it was over 6GB which is a lot)

7. the_reckoner Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 13, 2018

the_reckoner, Nov 13, 2018 :
    Question to software team: How does advanced battery optimisation work? How is it different from Adaptive Battery?

Personal Question: What's the secret to your great hair?

8. FlyingDog Cupcake Nov 13, 2018

FlyingDog, Nov 13, 2018 :
    Why is there not a pure black theme in oxygen os?? Since all oneplus devices after op2 have Amoled screens we could leverage the pure black theme, please also theme the notifications pure black too

9. G_Yash_narain_DXMH Eclair Nov 13, 2018

10. yuva_cool Gingerbread Nov 13, 2018

yuva_cool, Nov 13, 2018 :
    It'd be mighty cool if there was Pie release for OnePlus 5/5T before the end of this year. I'm guessing you are planning to roll it out around Christmas eve.

11. PradyumnaB Gingerbread Nov 13, 2018

PradyumnaB, Nov 13, 2018 :
    This is because of a/b. Afaik

12. Seeker788 Eclair Nov 13, 2018

Seeker788, Nov 13, 2018 :
    Hi and thank you.

Personal question:

What is your all time favourite OnePlus device colour?

Software question:

How about making accent colour scheme system wide not just to the notifications and quick settings but applied to the rest of the user interface like matching wallpapers and app icons.

Thanks in advance for your time.

[e]1f601[/e]

13. smartass08 Donut Nov 13, 2018

14. theshinybeast Lollipop Nov 13, 2018

15. Hariharan JK Cupcake Nov 13, 2018

Hariharan JK, Nov 13, 2018 :
    Hi,

1 : May i know the reason for not having option to clear the cache memory after the recent update on OnePlus 6

Camera:
    2: For the secondary camera you could've gone for the telephoto or the wide angle instead of depth effect (Bokeh effect), because the depth effect can be obtained through software.

16. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Nov 13, 2018

17. G_Sumit_Datta_gXOW Donut Nov 13, 2018

G_Sumit_Datta_gXOW, Nov 13, 2018 :
    battery drain issue in oneplus 6 afeter update it to 9.0.2 please solve it and please add always on display in next update

18. SohamMallick Eclair Nov 13, 2018

SohamMallick, Nov 13, 2018 :
    Please release the pie update for oneplus 5T instead of giving some bullshit updates. Now even under 15k phones are getting pie update. I think OnePlus should be more responsive to their old customer.

19. Dresa91 Oreo Nov 13, 2018

Dresa91, Nov 13, 2018 :
    Hello @Szymon K. :) Thanks for being here:)
    Here are my questions:

personal:
    What OS do you prefer and why? Android, iOS or the outdated Windows Mobile? Why? If Android, which Android (be honest :p It doesn't have to be OOS :p )

about OxygenOS:
    How close is the cooperation with HydrogenOS currently? Is there a constant exchange with your colleagues? Or how can we imagine the OxygenOS development in this context?

20. mehulgupta462 Gingerbread Nov 13, 2018

mehulgupta462, Nov 13, 2018 :
    technical support - Will oneplus 5t will get any further improvements for camera software
    and
    gaming mode 3.0 and navigation gestures 2.0
    pls provide nightscape and studio lighting for 5t also

21. Navdeep_Malik Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 13, 2018

Navdeep_Malik, Nov 13, 2018 :
    1 Camera still bad compared to ported Google camera! Please make oxygen cam better!
    2.Pure dark mode!
    3.Background play for videos in gallery!
    4.A dedicated super mode to choose between performance and battery !

Q. What is your current android phone with what OS(custom or which one)

Let's make os the best