Astrophotography with the OnePlus 3

1. Vault-Girl
    Froyo Sep 6, 2016

Vault-Girl , Sep 6, 2016 :
    I'm off to Iceland next week, and looking forward to seeing some lovely dark skies and the aurora borealis with some luck. Does anyone know what settings would be ideal for these sort of images using the OP3? I've got Camera FV-5 and also have a small tripod, but I'd rather not be wasting time fiddling with settings for too long while I'm there. I'm aware the images won't be too amazing, but I want to give it a go since I decided to get myself this phone instead of buying a DSLR!

Also if anyone has any examples of astrophotography using their phones, I would love to see!

2. josefn24
    Jelly Bean Sep 6, 2016

josefn24 , Sep 6, 2016 :
    Very cool I'd like to know the same thing. Being in Canada there's more then a few places to see them as well. I have seen them in my city without having to travel however they would be amazing in the North.
    I think you would need a super long exposure would be great if some pros could come and give some tips for us noobs:p

pa5t1s, Vault-Girl and meatandy like this.
  3. pablofg1978
    Nougat Head Moderator Sep 6, 2016

pa5t1s, gaster, volteon and 2 others like this.
  4. mant00
    Gingerbread Sep 6, 2016

mant00 , Sep 6, 2016 :
    Shot with oneplus one using camera fv-5 and later edited in lightroom. My settings were:
    ISO 1600.
    Shutter speed: 25-30 seconds, if you use longer shutter speed stars wont look like dots anymore because of earth rotation.
    Focus was set to infinite.
    WB was set to cloudy I think, when its on auto sky looks too red for some reason.
    Phone was on tripod, I also bought oneplus one because of astrophotography when I saw photos on forums and decided to try some milky way photos. I think I will capture better photos on winter because air is more clear, also there were few street lights around me but still better than in the city. If you have any question feel free to ask me.

DSC_0493-3.jpg DSC_0508.jpg DSC_0514-3.jpg DSC_0516-3.jpg DSC_0525-3.jpg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016

5. Vault-Girl
    Froyo Sep 6, 2016

Wow, your photos are amazing! Thanks for sharing your settings :) Can I ask if you used image stacking? I've heard that's the best way to reduce noise but I've never tried it before.

6. mant00
    Gingerbread Sep 6, 2016

mant00 , Sep 6, 2016 :
    I didn't use stacking here, result would be better if I did because you remove noise from photos that way.
    I have few photos where I did used stacking method but since photos are taken from my balcony in the city the sky wasn't that great, too much light pollution. For moon photo I used Registax 6, stacked 3 or 4 photos I think for sharper results. Photoshop stacking method was used on stars photos.

2.jpg DSC_0062-1a.jpg IMG_20160527_031824a.jpg

Guides I followed for editing:

Moon:

Stars:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016

7. josefn24
    Jelly Bean Sep 6, 2016

josefn24 , Sep 6, 2016 :
    Awesome!! I will try this out and play with the settings. How well did it capture the scene was it better or not then the actual sky to just your eyes in your first posted set of pictures?

8. mant00
    Gingerbread Sep 6, 2016

mant00 , Sep 6, 2016 :
    It's better than the actual sky, you can see milky way with naked eyes but it looks like a fog, there are more stars in the photos. But like I said, sky could be better, cold winter night away from the city is ideal. No dust, no light pollution and no humidity.

9. zzzainuu
    Eclair Sep 6, 2016

zzzainuu , Sep 6, 2016 :
    Hello there,

I loved you photos how you took. I got oneplus 3 and I also want to give it a try. Could you please guide me through. Please, I would really appreciate it. Thank you

10. mant00
    Gingerbread Sep 6, 2016

mant00 , Sep 6, 2016 :
    All you need is a place far from city lights and app that allows slow shutter speed, I have OPO so I am not sure about OP3 stock camera and manual controls but I think you can change shutter speed and ISO. Try camera fv-5 app, set iso to 1600 or 3200, shutted speed 30 seconds and point your phone to clear night sky :D
    Also your phone needs to be on some kind of tripod because of long shutter speed, if you move it during capture photos will look blurry.

11. zzzainuu
    Eclair Sep 6, 2016

zzzainuu , Sep 6, 2016 :
    Sorry but if I may ask you what fv 5 and where is shutter speed ?

Vault-Girl likes this.
  12. zzzainuu
    Eclair Sep 6, 2016

zzzainuu , Sep 6, 2016 :
    LoL im dumb now i get it. Its an app ahahahahahahahha

mant00 likes this.
  13. Vault-Girl
    Froyo Sep 6, 2016

Thank you, I really appreciate the help! The moon photo is fantastic, would never have thought it was taken with a phone. I might go out this weekend before going away and try out stacking. Will post the results on here if they're any good!

14. baulee56
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 6, 2016

15. mant00
    Gingerbread Sep 6, 2016

mant00 , Sep 6, 2016 :
    Sorry forgot to write it, moon photo was taken through spyglass with 20x zoom

doc_sharath likes this.
  16. Henaway
    Honeycomb Sep 11, 2016

Henaway , Sep 11, 2016 :
    I did these last year with my LG G4 on a tripod. All single shots, no stacking, but I did use Lightroom on the RAW files for noise reduction and such.
    https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipMBex2pt7qHgJQqynxr-852HsYKzoib90_8iZYL
    I think this one is still my favourite of the bunch though ... [​IMG]
    I didn't realize it at the time, but I also got the big dipper JUST showing between the power lines. Someone else actually pointed it out to me. I just liked the way the lights just right of center looked kind of like a phoenix rising!

puccellino, Vault-Girl and mant00 like this.
  17. Runaque
    Honeycomb Sep 11, 2016

Runaque , Sep 11, 2016 :
    This is some good information since I'm attempting some Astrophotography as well since a couple of weeks. I really want to have this "cloud" of the Milky Way in my pictures. I also use this SkyView app as a compas to find this "cloud" and aim my camera onto it.
    I bought myself some sort of GorillaPod like tripod to mount my OnePlus Two on it and seems to work fine, just my pictures suck, but I do get nice darkblue pictures with small dots from starts to see.

I'm going to take the information you gave and use it to improve my photography. ;)

mant00 likes this.
  18. Vault-Girl
    Froyo Sep 11, 2016

Vault-Girl , Sep 11, 2016 :
    I had a quick go last night. Unfortunately didn't have time to try stacking so the few photos I took are pretty noisy and they were from my friend's back garden so there was a lot of light pollution. Quite happy though!

[​IMG]

19. Remo spadaccini
    Honeycomb Sep 11, 2016

Remo spadaccini , Sep 11, 2016 :
    What camera did you use to take the photo of the moon?

20. mant00
    Gingerbread Sep 11, 2016

mant00 , Sep 11, 2016 :
    OPO camera through spyglass with 20x zoom and then stacked few photos in registax 6 to get sharper image

doc_sharath and Gonzo01 like this.