AT&T 4G Problems

1. mattyass
    Cupcake Jul 10, 2014

mattyass , Jul 10, 2014 :
    Anyone else having problems with getting the One to work on AT&T's network using LTE? I can get HSPA+ on it, but just won't do that 4G/LTE.

I suspect its a problem with AT&T's network not recognizing the IMEI class for The One as indicated here, but I was curious if others had got around this problem.

Thoughts/ideas?

2. _ASSASSIN_
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 10, 2014

_ASSASSIN_ , Jul 10, 2014 :
    most likely an issue with APN's. You can try searching on google for a AT&T LTE APN setting and edit it.
    To edit your APNs, go to Settings>Mobile Data> APNs

3. friendly1
    Gingerbread Jul 10, 2014

friendly1 , Jul 10, 2014 :
    agreed. This is similar to when I had apn issues. All it took was reentering the apn #'s.

4. RogueS4
    Jelly Bean Jul 10, 2014

RogueS4 , Jul 10, 2014 :
    Moved to technical support

Did you give att your imei number? That could be a reason

Another user had some trouble with this but it was because he gave att the OnePlus One's IMEI
    He got it solved by having att change the IMEI to one from an HTC One m8

Also check apn as others have said

5. mattyass
    Cupcake Jul 10, 2014

There are several options for ATT APN but I haven't modified any of them. But with that said, I've tried all of the AT&T APN options and the highest I can get is HSPA+. Here are the LTE APN settings that don't work:

Name: ATT LTE
    APN: pta
    MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
    MMS Port: 80
    MCC: 310
    MNC: 410
    Auth: Not set
    APN Type: default,supl,mms

If you don't mind sharing your APN settings, it would be appreciated to compare.

I did in fact give them the IMEI number. I suspect this is what the issue is...problem is I don't have access to an AT&T Android phone so I can't give them an IMEI.

6. dbothman
    Donut Jul 10, 2014

dbothman , Jul 10, 2014 :
    just go to the att store and find the needles salesperson or ask for someone experienced with byo off contract phones. they're promoting byo phones but not training employees how to deal with non att phones. my apt was correct but the had the imei problem mentioned above. I'm guessing oneplus will get att the info necessary to recognize the native imei, but in the meantime they will have to enter another phones imei that's already provisioned with lte into the system. in my case the salesman entered the imei from his own phone, an LG flex into my account. this fixed my connectivity problems and my visual voicemail problem. everything is great now.

7. bramyond
    Froyo Jul 10, 2014

bramyond , Jul 10, 2014 :
    I had a friend of mine let me use his IMEI number from a broken Galaxy Note 2 and I chose AT&T phone when inserted the sim. I used the AT&T online chat to get everything setup and all is well with me. I am going from iPhone 5 to OPO.

Crp1992 likes this.
  8. wary_overlord
    Gingerbread Jul 10, 2014

wary_overlord , Jul 10, 2014 :
    I went to the ATT store yesterday to do the BYOP plan and gave them my girlfriends Nexus 5 IMEI. Got LTE right away!

9. RubAnADUB
    Froyo Jul 10, 2014

RubAnADUB , Jul 10, 2014 :
    LTE no problem here. But I stopped telling AT&T my imei a long time ago. they still think I have my s4 from last year.

Attached Files:

10. Crp1992
    Eclair Jul 10, 2014

Crp1992 , Jul 10, 2014 :
    Yeah i'm having the same issue switching from an iphone 5. Stuck on H+ which crawls. I honestly don't know much about the technical aspects of phones.. Will somebody send me an imei I could use? Or are they supposed to be protected? I would love to call customer service and be able to switch to LTE

11. RubAnADUB
    Froyo Jul 10, 2014

RubAnADUB , Jul 10, 2014 :
    Worst case - go out and buy a backup phone that can do LTE - I would suggest a cheap ATRIX HD - you can load cyanogenmod and get latest android plus its unlockable and rootable. and it does LTE. if you look on craigslist or ebay you should be able to find one for 100-140$ Has a microsd slot too. and is great as a backup phone.

12. mattyass
    Cupcake Jul 10, 2014

Update - It was in fact the IMEI. Basically if AT&T's system doesn't recognize the device IMEI then it just makes the conclusion that its a feature phone and only capable of 3G/HSPA+. Once I created my own IMEI and gave it to them, I rebooted and boom...4G LTE.

13. dbothman
    Donut Jul 10, 2014

dbothman , Jul 10, 2014 :
    does it display "LTE" or just display "4g". i thought the consensus was that cyanogen displays "4g" even though it's actually LTE.

Bersi12 likes this.
  14. mattyass
    Cupcake Jul 10, 2014

When I check the Settings | About Phone | Status it is reporting LTE.

15. Deactivated User
    Jul 12, 2014

16. RubAnADUB
    Froyo Jul 13, 2014

RubAnADUB , Jul 13, 2014 :
    Screenshot_2014-07-12-17-45-25~2.jpg I found a way you can just make it SAY LTE instead of the 4g logo. Root your phone, install xposed frame work (if you dont know what it is dont ask just stop right here). then load the module GRAVITY BOX for KK and theres a setting in there that lets you change display for 4G logo to say LTE instead.

17. mmcnama4
    Cupcake Jul 14, 2014

mmcnama4 , Jul 14, 2014 :
    I stopped by a store the other day, rep put in his IMEI number and I had 4G after a restart. He said LTE should actually show once the phone does a "network reset." He said, normally you can trigger one by removing the phone's battery, but that's not really an option here. He said it will eventually do a network reset on it's own, but didn't know when. Getting very fast speeds now.

Played w/ APN settings forever and nothing happened until rep put his IMEI in. Get someone to do that.