AT&T IMEI Numbers for Sim 1 and 2 only show as GSM

1. pstuart
    Eclair Jun 17, 2016

pstuart , Jun 17, 2016 :
    I just got my OnePlus 3 and had to get a nano sim (yeah I could have cut down my OnePlus 1 micro sim) and I went to my nearby AT&T corporate store.

First, the sim slot 1 appears to be GSM "H" speeds only. So put your sim in slot 2.

I swapped out my sim for a new nano sim and the rep linked my account to the sim slot 2 IMEI number (we even tried slot 1 IMEI) and both came back in AT&T's database as GSM only (no LTE). They could not override it in store...

I had them switch the IMEI back to my OnePlus One IMEI and it instantly registered as LTE (and LTE_CA aka 4G+ which the OnePlus One didn't support)

So far, so good. Hopefully AT&T and / or OnePlus will get the IMEI GSM only issues sorted out, but just wanted to give anyone a heads up just in case they run into a similar issue.

If you have a SIM / number configured for AT&T do not let them update your IMEI right now, you will lose LTE...

Also, don't let the reps tell you that an unlocked non-AT&T provided phone is limited to only GSM. That is just not true.

2. controversialtm
    Donut Jun 20, 2016

controversialtm , Jun 20, 2016 :
    Wish I had read this before getting the phone and running over to AT&T. I imagine they're working on the issue but it will be "fun" using GSM until it's resolved.

lenoelracso likes this.
  3. MarkusRanz
    Honeycomb Jun 20, 2016

lenoelracso likes this.
  4. lenoelracso
    Honeycomb Jun 20, 2016

lenoelracso , Jun 20, 2016 :
    Did you try to set up Access Point Names? I have Cricket (same as AT&T) I tried both sim slots and LTE works fine in both.
    Google "Access Point Names for AT&T". Then go to Settings > Cellular Networks > Access Point Names. Add a new access point for AT&T.

Hope this help your problem.

@pstuart
    @controversialtm
    @MarkusRanz

controversialtm likes this.
  5. controversialtm
    Donut Jun 21, 2016

controversialtm , Jun 21, 2016 :
    I adjusted the APN but it didn't make a difference. Like the OP, I had AT&T change the SIM's IMEI back to that from my OPO. No problems with LTE after that.

@lenoelracso

6. Mythblaze
    Honeycomb Jun 21, 2016

Mythblaze , Jun 21, 2016 :
    I have cricket which is AT&T. Thankfully all I need to do it put my sim into the phone and call it a day.

Ceasedd likes this.
  7. F_Daniel_Kiselev_xNNi
    Eclair Jun 21, 2016

F_Daniel_Kiselev_xNNi , Jun 21, 2016 :
    That's really strange. I used my existing iphone 6s plus's sim and my one plus 3 recognized it in seconds with lte service and everything.

8. controversialtm
    Donut Jun 21, 2016

That's exactly the point here. It worked because you didn't change the IMEI associated with the SIM card.

9. controversialtm
    Donut Jun 21, 2016

So long as it's a nano SIM, yes. If you have an older card, I wouldn't change the associated IMEI just yet.

10. controversialtm
    Donut Jun 21, 2016

In the event you phone is either lost or stolen, the carrier can block the IMEI from being used on their network (and possibly other networks). Essentially, it renders the device useless from a cellular data standpoint. The caveat here is that someone could insert a SIM associated with a different IMEI and the device would still be functional (see above).

11. funmunke
    Marshmallow Jun 21, 2016

Ceasedd likes this.
  12. controversialtm
    Donut Jun 21, 2016

Okay, but did you change the IMEI that's linked to your SIM?

funmunke likes this.
  13. funmunke
    Marshmallow Jun 21, 2016

funmunke , Jun 21, 2016 :
    Nope. I learned a long time ago to never tell ATT you are changing your phone unless it's not working. I've used three different phones since the last time they updated my IMEI. They do not active based on IMEI like Verizon does.

14. controversialtm
    Donut Jun 21, 2016

Well, that's exactly the point here and what the OP was getting at...

15. funmunke
    Marshmallow Jun 21, 2016

funmunke , Jun 21, 2016 :
    One thing that is really handy, if you happen to have an IMEI for a Moto X Pure, you're golden. It has every band and then some.

16. jaluca
    Donut Jun 21, 2016

jaluca , Jun 21, 2016 :
    People: I have been on the phone with AT&T and oneplus. US based At&t does not have an apn which can service the op3 with 4g/lte. The phone is manufactured with hspa hardware which is older than 4g. The US based cellular providers no longer fully service that technology. At&t states that I will get no better than 2g speeds. Oneplus states this is a known issue but has no solution as of yet. It sounds like we are in for a recall. If we don't get a recall, this constitutes a class action lawsuit. Way to go, oneplus!

17. controversialtm
    Donut Jun 21, 2016

Again, that's why you don't switch your IMEI. I have LTE but am using the string from my OPO. Not a big deal here unless you're a first time subscriber...

Attached Files:

18. pstuart
    Eclair Jun 21, 2016

pstuart , Jun 21, 2016 :
    This is simply not the case, AT&T just doesn't have the proper IMEI info in their database, the OnePlus 3 has full support for LTE, I am currently using it on LTE on AT&T. Simply put, if you enter the IMEI numbers into AT&T it will come up as a GSM only device, which is incorrect. You have to get to a higher support level to override the IMEI support config or wait for OnePlus to sort out the configs with AT&T, which should be in a week or two. Or just don't change your IMEI when getting a new sim, assuming you are coming from a phone that has LTE already.

dandypeter and controversialtm like this.
  19. jaluca
    Donut Jun 22, 2016

jaluca , Jun 22, 2016 :
    According to advanced at&t, hspa is not full 4g. I guess we will have to wait to see what speeds we pull once they work out the bug.

20. sockey13
    Cupcake Jun 22, 2016

sockey13 , Jun 22, 2016 :
    I had this problem. When we figured it out we changed my iemi number to the same one my wife is using on her Nextbit Robin. I now get LTE in the notification window with better speeds, but her download speeds are at least 50% better than mine on multiple tries. I was wondering how I know if I really got a north american version of this phone. It is model number A3000. I cant find a listing of regions and model numbers. Any ideas?