AT&T IMEI Numbers for Sim 1 and 2 only show as GSM

1. charabel
    Cupcake Jun 22, 2016

2. dandypeter
    Gingerbread Jun 22, 2016

dandypeter , Jun 22, 2016 :
    This is AT&T being stupid. They should allow any line to use LTE, but for some reason they have to be flagged to use it.

You need to call customer service and have them flag the line as a nextgen phone/generic LTE/Apple device or give them the IMEI for a known LTE device. Depends on the rep, some know how to do it and others don't. Then select the nextgen APN.

G_Ben_Nolen_QINB likes this.
  3. charabel
    Cupcake Jun 22, 2016

charabel , Jun 22, 2016 :
    FYI - Thought I would share my experience with Verizon. Unfortunately I was not able to obtain a nano Sim card because of the shitty customer support at their stores (they claimed that since it couldn't register in their system, it was a "security issue" and against company policy to issue me a nano Sim).

However, I went to an authorized retailer, and the guy was at least kind enough to exchange his Sim card to test it out for a second. The phone was able to get data and make / receive phone calls. I didn't check whether the data was 4g...but I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be. My next step is going to be to borrow a friend's S6 phone for a bit to bring to the Verizon store in order to get a nano Sim. Hopefully that will work...

4. dandypeter
    Gingerbread Jun 22, 2016

A3000 is the US version. A3003 is EU.

I'm not super concerned with having the fastest data so I haven't checked bands. It's possible her's uses a band yours doesn't use. As far as I understand the OP3 uses all the AT&T bands.

Try her SIM in your phone. Try outside in case her antenna is just better. Put the phone in performance mode. If you are using a browser, try a different one.

If any of those things give you her speed, then there's something that can be fixed.

sockey13 likes this.
  5. Noah091
    Cupcake Jun 22, 2016

Noah091 , Jun 22, 2016 :
    So what's the solution here? I went to an authorized retailer and got a new SIM card. When I was walking out of the store I noticed I had 4G on my phone.

Right now I don't have 4G I just have LTE but I live in the country. How do I know that I'm getting the fastest speeds?

6. bakerbarber
    Jelly Bean Jun 22, 2016

bakerbarber , Jun 22, 2016 :
    Use an Imei number from your old phone.

I had them use the one from my One Plus One.

In a week or two the 3 will get updated in AT&T's system and you can call with the correct Imei number. Just in case you sell your old phone it'll work and if your 3 gets stolen they can freeze it remotely.

7. chrism380
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 22, 2016

chrism380 , Jun 22, 2016 :
    AT&T picks up LTE perfectly fine here Long Island, New York. Went into the store, picked up a new nano sim and the tech even commented that it picked up LTE right away.

Attached Files:

8. TeamKarma
    Donut Jun 22, 2016

TeamKarma , Jun 22, 2016 :
    I've never had an issue with any one my OnePlus phones with getting LTE. Put the SIM in and boom it works.

9. dandypeter
    Gingerbread Jun 22, 2016

Just to reiterate, this is not a problem with the phone, it's AT&T. It should work fine if your old phone had LTE or if you tell AT&T the IMEI of an LTE phone.

Here is a good LTE IMEI for a Sony Z1 in case anyone doesn't have another LTE device.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016

G_Ben_Nolen_QINB likes this.
  10. Gatorcracker24
    US Brand Ambassador Jun 22, 2016

11. Scoobems
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 22, 2016

Scoobems , Jun 22, 2016 :
    Same here...

12. jaluca
    Donut Jun 22, 2016

jaluca , Jun 22, 2016 :
    I would have to say, sockey13's experience seems to support what I've been saying: hspa hardware is the issue. This quick fix of changing the imei must not be standing up to the unit the imei actually belongs to.
    I, too, wondered if this was a unit not meant for the US. I learned from an experience with a geek squad replacement for a galaxy note 3 that the difference was possible but from the reaction of the oneplus agent I spoke to, all the 3s are constructed this way. I think we are screwed.

13. beni26
    Cupcake Jun 23, 2016

beni26 , Jun 23, 2016 :
    Came here to say I have the same issue. No LTE. Going to call AT&T now to see if they can flag it or, if not, I'll give them my oneplus 1 IMEI.

UPDATE: Ok so got off the phone with AT&T. They said my current IMEI is showing only 2G!!!! So what they did, and what you should ask for specifically is for them to send your IMEI number to the IMEI range group and tell them that this is a LTE device. It can take up to 2 weeks for them to register it as an LTE device. He also was able to switch back my IMEI to my old phone and guess what... I HAVE LTE!!.. at least for a bit until they ping me. So after a couple weeks, I'll probably call back in and have then switch my IMEI back. Also make sure the plan you are on has LTE on it. Have them double check because when I added the oneplus 3 my plan changed to a non-lte plan.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016

j.dupuis likes this.
  14. hahaha2223
    Jelly Bean Jun 23, 2016

15. camnevens
    Froyo Jun 24, 2016

camnevens , Jun 24, 2016 :
    Calm down, we're not "screwed." This can be fixed one of two ways (probably more, but they're more complicated and unnecessary). Which device did you come from? Was that device LTE? If it was LTE, then have AT&T change the IMEI back and change your data SOC to an LTE plan. That's the first way. The second requires patience on your part. This is not a hardware issue, but a registration issue. It is a miscommunication or lack of communication between Oneplus and AT&T. This can be remedied and is not (and I can't stop laughing at this absurdity) grounds for a class action lawsuit. I'm a former AT&T wireless engineer. It's not a big deal to fix, just follow one, or both, of the solutions.

16. camnevens
    Froyo Jun 24, 2016

camnevens , Jun 24, 2016 :
    That's both true and not true. HSUPA/HSDPA (shortened to HSPA) are the exact same infrastructure as "3G" HSPA+ with peak speeds at 40/50Mbps (it's been a while since I've worked on any of this and I forgot specifics). HSPA+ is called "4G" by T-mobile and several European carriers. LTE is a different technology and is recognized by carriers as "4G", but is, in reality, still a third generation technology even though it can peak at 150Mbps. True 4G is LTEA, or Long Term Evolution Advanced, providing speeds from 100Mbps to 960Mbps. This will be called "5G" by carriers, but is really only "4G". Forget the "G" and just use the phone. It's going fast, it tells you at the top that it's in 3G/4G/H+/4Glte/4Glte+.

17. j.dupuis
    Cupcake Jun 27, 2016

j.dupuis , Jun 27, 2016 :
    After spending 2 hours with att customer support, i read what this poster had put in their update and finally got LTE working on my phone. They had to tell my new nano sim that I was using my old phone again that already had LTE service, while she submitted both my oneplus 3 imei's to the IMEI range group which would take a few weeks to process.

18. G_Ben_Nolen_QINB
    Donut Jun 27, 2016

G_Ben_Nolen_QINB , Jun 27, 2016 :
    AT&T's only responsibility is to keep known IMEI ranges of AT&T branded phones in their database. If you buy an unlocked phone direct from manufacturer, and give them the IMEI, they may not know it's capabilities, so the system defaults to 4G/HSPA/3G. Their database likely doesn't know anything about that IMEI.

But the good news is, you don't have to call AT&T and tell them anything. If you already have a working LTE-enabled SIM, just pop it in and you are good to go.

If you are activating a new SIM, you are going to need to provide them with an IMEI of a known, LTE phone that they can reference. It doesn't matter if you immediately switch phones to the OnePlus. They don't need to know, nor will they care, nor will they ping your phone and change it back to 4G/3G.

19. G_John_K_CZWP
    Donut Jun 27, 2016

G_John_K_CZWP , Jun 27, 2016 :
    This is where att is dumb, and you should believe everything they tell you.

The OnePlus 3 is using a snapdragon 820 which provides the lte bands - if what att was telling you was right than the samsung s7 820 would have the same issue,

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/820

You can call att and tell them to get their arse in gear.

20. dandypeter
    Gingerbread Jun 27, 2016

dandypeter , Jun 27, 2016 :
    That's what I thought, but how is it that the A3000 and A3003 both have the 820, but they use different bands? I suspect that either Qualcomm has multiple chips labeled 820 or there is additional hardware involved in the band differentiation.