AT&T LTE....If you are passing on buying you need to read this!

1. Patrick Hill
    Honeycomb Jun 27, 2014

Patrick Hill , Jun 27, 2014 :
    Post screen shots of your APN settings.. Also on the OPO when it shows "4G" that is LTE when you're on AT&T's old "4G" which isn't really 4G but is HSPA+ which is really like 3.5G. If you were not connected to LTE the signal meter would show either H+ or H (depending if you had HSPA+ service at that location or HSPA)

T-Mobile and AT&T confused people with their labeling of "4G" and 4G LTE on both AT&T and T-Mobile before hey had LTE they called their HSPA+ network 4G and their branded phones will show "4G" when connected to HSPA+ and "4G LTE" when connected to LTE.

It could be just the LTE signal by you sucks. There are some parts of NYC where I pull over 20MPS and others where I pull 3MBPS.

Another way to tell what you're connected to is go to settings --> About phone ---> Status and it will show you your network, signal stregth, and type of network you're connected to (LTE, HSPA...)

neighborhoodkid likes this.
  2. neighborhoodkid
    Honeycomb Jun 27, 2014

neighborhoodkid , Jun 27, 2014 :
    That is most certainly true.

3. majik8ball
    Froyo Jun 27, 2014

majik8ball , Jun 27, 2014 :
    I only get slightly lower speeds on att lte compared to my former phone, the Sony xperia z2

4. neighborhoodkid
    Honeycomb Jun 27, 2014

neighborhoodkid , Jun 27, 2014 :
    Well good night, this issue could have been alot worse, I'm certainly glad it wasn't.
    The IMEI stuff is just half the battle, I'm glad thats now going to be resolved too.
    This will save alot of problems down the road.

5. Mike
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 27, 2014

Mike , Jun 27, 2014 :
    Have you got any further insight on this whole using-different-LTE-bands-for-different-parts-of-the-country issue? That's what piqued my interest originally.

6. dmo
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 27, 2014

dmo , Jun 27, 2014 :
    4G is LTE.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These aren't the greatest speeds, but we know AT&T is struggling in Southern California, and these are in line with what I get on my Nexus 5. I'll be in some better areas this weekend, but I was able to hit 20 mbps on both my N5 and OPO last night at home.

Make sure you're on the Phone APN for 4G LTE. I learned this with the Nexus 5. That's the APN autoselected when you first get a Nexus 5. Believe me, I did try the "LTE" APN but it doesn't work. This is well documented.

[​IMG]

7. Zach Mauch
    Gingerbread Jun 27, 2014

Zach Mauch , Jun 27, 2014 :
    I haven't read most of this thread, but I just wanted to give my experience with the OPO on AIO/Cricket. The speeds have matched my previous phones due to the throttling AIO/Crickett does. However, I have an LTE connection much less often on the OPO and my signal strength is much worse. This seems to be a limitation of the OPO.

vavahvoom likes this.
  8. Carnivore
    Gingerbread Jun 27, 2014

Carnivore , Jun 27, 2014 :
    I think OP's problem is due to trying to use the import version in the USA. Does anyone have a list of the LTE bands supported by the "import" (Chinese) version of the Oneplus One, and what duplex mode they work in?

It's my understanding that AT&T uses Band 17 in the 700 MHz frequency range as its primary LTE band, and that it operates in FDD duplex mode (not TDD which is used in other parts of the world). Does the international version support this band in FDD mode? I think maybe not (but I'm not sure).

AT&T also uses band 4 which is supported by the U.S. OPO, and they've just started using band 2 in some big cities which is not supported by the U.S. OPO, but it's really just an added-capacity band in busy cities where AT&T Bands 4 & 17 already exist.

EDIT: I see the OP mentioned way back on Page 6 he resolved the problem.
    @scruff72 - can you edit your first post to let others know this isn't an issue after all?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014

9. planetgarza
    Gingerbread Jul 1, 2014

planetgarza , Jul 1, 2014 :
    OK then...

10. hazzavg
    KitKat Jul 1, 2014

hazzavg , Jul 1, 2014 :
    Its exactly that

11. hazzavg
    KitKat Jul 1, 2014

12. kenfb1
    Honeycomb Jul 8, 2014

kenfb1 , Jul 8, 2014 :
    Hi,
    Just thought I'd add a little to this thread.
    I was also questioning my data speeds with
    StraightTalk using the ATT network.
    After a call to Straight Talk support he had
    me add a StraightTalk APN with custom settings
    he gave me over the phone. Worked great after
    that. Get 6.92 Download and 5.90 Up speeds.
    I'm in the Scranton, Pa. locale.
    Also I noticed that when Wi-Fi is ON, I get no
    data indicators in status bar. When I shut WiFi off
    it will show 4G indicator in status bar!!

13. x2rocket
    Cupcake Jul 12, 2014

x2rocket , Jul 12, 2014 :

Can you post or send me the settings, I am also in Scranton pa but getting 1mbps with the apn settings i have.

14. ndlr
    Honeycomb Jul 12, 2014

ndlr , Jul 12, 2014 :
    The week 30 update addressed this. @Carl said:
    "LTE Problems on AT&T and Free: We detected some discrepancies in the LTE band support listed with the GSM Association, leading to incorrect information provided to carriers. This is in the means of being resolved, so soon we shouldn’t have any more of these issues."

bbelmont0018 likes this.
  15. bbelmont0018
    Gingerbread Jul 12, 2014

bbelmont0018 , Jul 12, 2014 :
    I'll confirm that AT&T isn't throttling unlocked phones. It's just that not all phones use AT&T LTE bands.

16. bbelmont0018
    Gingerbread Jul 12, 2014

bbelmont0018 , Jul 12, 2014 :
    This is correct. I just read it this morning. It is a know issue for 1+ and they are working to resolve. Misinformation from the carrier.

nickdlrandall likes this.
  17. trechoy
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 12, 2014

trechoy , Jul 12, 2014 :
    For everyone having issues with LTE on AT&T, use this guide: https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/guide-how-to-enable-lte-on-at-t.54775/

You will get LTE working.

COPIOUS likes this.
  18. Kenz78
    KitKat Jul 12, 2014

Kenz78 , Jul 12, 2014 :
    Why not walk in AT&T with ur phone and ask them to resolve this issue. I read one post from the forum with same issue. He walk in and AT&T just change the IMEI in the system.

19. MackTheTaylor
    Honeycomb Jul 12, 2014

MackTheTaylor , Jul 12, 2014 :
    I'm assuming you're in europe
    That's because us europeans have a completely regulated cellular system, whyle in the USA it is unstable, overpriced, unregulated and in general just screwed up

20. JeffinAZ
    Honeycomb Jul 12, 2014

JeffinAZ , Jul 12, 2014 :
    Good info--thanks! That is why I lurk at these forums!