[Submitted] Audio Streaming to Hearing Aids (ASHA) and Cochlear Nucleus 7 Sound Processor

1. MadraMor
    Froyo Sep 21, 2019

MadraMor , Sep 21, 2019 :
    Title Audio Streaming to Hearing Aids (ASHA) and Cochlear Nucleus 7 Sound Processor
    Device OnePlus7Pro Software Version O2 Stable 190728
    Topic Suggestion
    Photos
    Feature Needed Background Description The Cochlear Nucleus 7 sound processor allows deaf individuals with cochlear implants to hear. The Cochlear iOS app allows users to directly stream phone calls, audio, and music. This has been available in iOS for two years. https://www.cochlear.com/us/en/corporate/media-center/media-releases/2019/cochlear-and-gn-hearing-become-worlds-first-to-support-direct-android-streaming-to-hearing-devices-using-bluetooth-low-energy https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cochlear.clientremote
    Any other comments https://www.cochlear.com/us/en/home/products-and-accessories/nucleus-system/nucleus-sound-processors
    Please add this capability for deaf individuals to OxygenOS: "With the release of Android 10, Google Pixel 3, Pixel 3 XL, Pixel 3a, and Pixel 3a XL* will be the first Android phones to support direct streaming to ReSound LiNX Quattro™ and Beltone Amaze™ hearing aids and the Cochlear™ Nucleus® 7 Sound Processor. The new streaming technology will be available by way of an update to Android 10, plus a firmware update on the hearing devices. The streaming specification is open source."

2. Geolaz
    Donut Sep 25, 2019

mdb1201 and MadraMor like this.
  3. D1569593511880
    Cupcake Sep 28, 2019

D1569593511880 , Sep 28, 2019 :
    Agreed! I'm about to get my first Hearing aids and was very much looking forward to Streaming music etc. to them. But unless ASHA is enabled along side Android 10, this won't work with my OnePlus 6

mdb1201 and MadraMor like this.
  4. MadraMor
    Froyo Oct 3, 2019

5. MadraMor
    Froyo Oct 5, 2019

MadraMor , Oct 5, 2019 :
    Received this October 4th:
    "Thank you for contacting Cochlear Support regarding our new Direct to Android streaming, I am happy to assist you today.
    The functionality of the Audio Streaming for Android phones is something that is enabled by each Android manufacturer. Until that manufacturer enables the streaming, we are unable to implement the Direct to Android streaming with that particular device.
    Since Google has enabled the Audio Streaming, Direct to Android functionality should be compatible for the Pixel 4 and 4XL."

Geolaz likes this.
  6. Geolaz
    Donut Oct 11, 2019

Geolaz , Oct 11, 2019 :
    I guess OnePlus aren't hearing our needs (pun intended) so moving over to a Google Pixel device seems to be the only way forward.

onecube1 and MadraMor like this.
  7. MadraMor
    Froyo Oct 15, 2019

MadraMor , Oct 15, 2019 :
    Yeah we'll see what happens. I put the information into another OnePlus product suggestion. I sent letters to the CEO of OnePlus and the CEO of Samsung America. Samsung sent me an e-mail thanking me for the suggestion.

Geolaz likes this.
  8. dachs
    Froyo Oct 21, 2019

dachs , Oct 21, 2019 :
    Maybe those who are on Android Q beta or final on 7T could check if they have the ASHA setting?

Settings / Accessibility: there is an option for hearing aids / Pair new device.

This is available on Galaxy S10 with the beta.

MadraMor likes this.
  9. MadraMor
    Froyo Oct 28, 2019

MadraMor , Oct 28, 2019 :
    Received this the other day:

[​IMG]

It's Iza from the Google Disability Support team. Thank you very much for your time and patience!

I've just got an answer from the Technical team and they confirmed that Android 10 is compatible with Nucleus 7 Sound Processor from Cochlear Ltd and there is no official comment on the side of Pixel 4 device yet because the product was just launched last week. However, we looked into this further for you and it seems to be ASHA compliant a device needs Bluetooth 5 and BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) which I can confirm the Pixel 4 has.

I also requested them to raise a feature request to the appropriate team to have our documentation updated to confirm whether or not the Pixel 4 is ASHA compliant, so if you're willing to buy the new Pixel 4, I'd recommend you not buying until the official documentation has been updated.

10. Geolaz
    Donut Oct 29, 2019

Geolaz , Oct 29, 2019 :
    I'm on Android Q with the OnePlus 7 and there is no such option. It seems that OnePlus hasn't enabled the ASHA support for the device.

kaihp likes this.
  11. dachs
    Froyo Oct 29, 2019

dachs , Oct 29, 2019 :
    Thank you though this is no good news.

@OnePlus please enable, Google and Samsung are in the right path to fight against apple in accessibility section

MadraMor likes this.
  12. Geolaz
    Donut Oct 30, 2019

Geolaz , Oct 30, 2019 :
    Got a reply back from the OnePlus support.

The OnePlus devices does not support ASHA. This is a total disaster for me personally and probably a bunch of other users of hearing aids.

I guess Samsung would rather like my money. So much for "Never Settle"...

13. MadraMor
    Froyo Nov 1, 2019

MadraMor , Nov 1, 2019 :
    I'd like to know if it's available on the Note 10.

14. MadraMor
    Froyo Nov 1, 2019

MadraMor , Nov 1, 2019 :
    Me too. I can't use OnePlus without it.

15. MadraMor
    Froyo Nov 1, 2019

MadraMor , Nov 1, 2019 :
    Now that ASHA is available in Android 10 and is open source, I'd suspect that all mobile device makers selling new hardware in the USA will eventually have to add ASHA in order to comply with the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). If OnePlus doesn't add this feature within a reasonable time, this issue could land them in federal court.
    Direct streaming to iOS has been available for two years.

Geolaz likes this.
  16. capthr
    Cupcake Nov 14, 2019

capthr , via OnePlus 6T T-Mobile , Nov 14, 2019 :
    I just ordered a Pixel 3A since as of right now the 3 3a and 4 are the only phones compatible but I was told by Resound that LG and Samsung will be soon and others in 2020. I asked about OnePlus, but they never heard of OP. anyway I am also trading in my rexton aids for resound aids at Costco. so I should be good to go next week

MadraMor likes this.
  17. Geolaz
    Donut Nov 21, 2019

Geolaz , Nov 21, 2019 :
    Too bad I just bought the 1+ a few months ago with the hope of ASHA-support as they claim to be spear heading in mobile tech. I guess that just doesn't apply for us with disabilities.

18. MadraMor
    Froyo Nov 25, 2019

MadraMor , Nov 25, 2019 :
    I bought the Pixel 4 (price dropped to $599) after I received this from Google today:

It's Iza from the Google Disability Support team! Many many thanks for your email!

I'm happy to say that last week we received the announcement that Pixel 4 is ASHA compliance! It was a long way till here but at least I'm glad we got a positive answer. Regarding the Bluetooth, Pixel 4 is Bluetooth 5.0 + LE (HD codecs: AptX, AptX HD, LDAC).

As Pixel 4 and 4XL use the Android 10 OS and are ASHA compliance, they should be compatible with Nucleus 7 Sound Processor. The only thing you will need to do on your end is connect and update the device to the Custom Sound Suite 5.2. Please find more information about it on the following link: http://pronews.cochlearamericas.com/introducing-custom-sound-5-2/

19. MadraMor
    Froyo Nov 25, 2019

MadraMor , Nov 25, 2019 :
    Also, I received an email from Samsung Accessibility. It basically said we're working on it but we can't disclose anything until our devices hit the market. So Samsung is not compatible yet.

20. MadraMor
    Froyo Dec 2, 2019

MadraMor , Dec 2, 2019 :
    I bought the PIxel 4 and it directly streams to hearing aids and the Cochlear Nucleus 7 sound processor.

Last edited: May 5, 2020