[Submitted] Audio Streaming to Hearing Aids (ASHA) and Cochlear Nucleus 7 Sound Processor

1. TahirSY
    Donut Jun 17, 2020

TahirSY , Jun 17, 2020 :
    Hi, I am new in this Oneplus community and I dont have 1+ phones but I have N7 processer and I was planning to get 1+ 7 Pro. I had Cochlear surgery 10 months ago, I am an android user for a long time and I cant switch to iPhone because of Cochlear.

Sep 2019, after 1 month of surgery I was hope 1+ 7, 7Pro get android 10 and add ASHA on it. However, after long research, I found out that no one talking about ASHA in Oneplus community site and I thought that 1+ need more time like 6 months or more to adopt ASHA.

In that same time, I heard that Pixel phones going to work with Cochlear N7 then I made a plan to pick one of the Pixel phones and I bought pixel 3a XL.

In the begin the journey with a pixel 3a XL there is a lot of problems like sound cutting on online videos like youtube and podcast streaming. I did post bugs in Reddit to youtube about the problem and they fixed in Dec 2019.
    Today my pixel 3a XL is working fantastic without losing connectivity with my cochlear and working in youtube without cutting sound.

the only is the problem is if you put your hand in the top of the phone hardly you start hearing cutting out sound while you watching or hearing music. also if you put the phone in the pocket the cutting sound happens sometimes but not like the first day I bought the phone. Offline Video or music locally working great no cutting out sounds.

I am happy to find people like me trying to adopt ASHA to 1+ devices and I heard in this Friday latest post in this community that steve9271 posted beta update has ASHA adopted in the Bluetooth section.

It is that true, how is the connectivity with N7?
    how sound quality of hearing?
    does it sound cutting out while you watching videos or music?

Because of my plan to get Oneplus 7 Pro if ASHA working fantastic.
    Thanks

2. TahirSY
    Donut Jun 17, 2020

TahirSY , Jun 17, 2020 :
    It is that true, how is the connectivity with N7 processer?
    how sound quality of hearing?
    does it sound cutting out while you watching videos or music?

Because of my plan to get Oneplus 7 Pro if ASHA working fantastic.
    Thanks

3. TahirSY
    Donut Jun 17, 2020

TahirSY , Jun 17, 2020 :

I heard that Pixel phones going to work with Cochlear N7 then I made a plan to pick one of the Pixel phones and I bought pixel 3a XL.

In the begin the journey with a pixel 3a XL there is a lot of problems like sound cutting on online videos like youtube and podcast streaming. I did post bugs in Reddit to youtube about the problem and they fixed in Dec 2019.
    Today my pixel 3a XL is working fantastic without losing connectivity with my cochlear and working in youtube without cutting sound.

the only is the problem is if you put your hand in the top of the phone hardly you start hearing cutting out sound while you watching or hearing music. also if you put the phone in the pocket the cutting sound happens sometimes but not like the first day I bought the phone. Offline Video or music locally working great no cutting out sounds.

did you try pixel 3a XL?

4. dachs
    Froyo Jul 10, 2020

dachs , Jul 10, 2020 :
    Unfortunately no one tested the 7t Beta version with ASHA support so far?

Maybe I would upgrade from 3t to a newer model if O+ got a working implementation now :)

5. TahirSY
    Donut Jul 11, 2020

TahirSY , Jul 11, 2020 :
    Hi, let me tell you my story with OnePlus and I was planning to buy it but I was worried because I don’t know this phone going to work well with Cochlear or not. However, I have done some research about (ASHA) Audio Streaming for Hearing Aids with OnePlus and I found that they released a beta version that supports and adopted (ASHA) for Oneplus 7 & 7 Pro on (Beta 15) and OnePlus 7T & 7T pro on (Beta 5).

This 4 phones that only can work with cochlear because on OnePlus software page description called (What's New?) for beta phones that I did describe above that shows that "It has adapted to Bluetooth hearing aid app connection under the Android 10 Audio Streaming for Hearing Aid (ASHA) Agreement" (https://www.oneplus.com/au/support/softwareupgrade) and this mean it going to work :)

So, I decided to buy new OnePlus 7T Pro last week and received it on time. I did set up my phone and I updated to beta 5 that support (ASHA) then I download the cochlear app from Google play to connect to my Cochlear.

I was Surprised that work very well and my first impression it was easy to connect without any problems :)

I have been using my phone for 5 days now and I have done some quick test with Cochlear connectivity like online Music streaming, Online video streaming and Social Media.

I have tested to watch 10 hours Netflix Tv & Movies streaming and 10 hours of streaming YouTube videos, 6 hours of social media apps like Snapchat & Instagram and 1 hour of Sound cloud music streaming.

The result was fantastic and I had no issue with connectivity.

Keep in your mind My OnePlus 7T pro on Beta 5 is not Official version.
    I am worried to OnePlus change some of ASHA settings.

I am new here and can you guys help me how to process to send my feedback to OnePlus that to keep same ASHA settings and move it to Official version.

Hopefully, OnePlus developers can hear my feedback here in Forums.
    Hope you guys like my experience with OnePlus 7T Pro and cochlear.

Thanks

6. TahirSY
    Donut Jul 11, 2020

MadraMor and dachs like this.
  7. mojoyoyo77
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Jul 11, 2020

mojoyoyo77 , Jul 11, 2020 :
    Oxygen OS Open Beta 6 for the OnePlus 7T and OnePlus 7T Pro
    I suppose if it was included in Beta 5 it will continue to be available in Beta 6, but given the importance of this for you wait for @Abdul B. to confirm it

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020

TahirSY and MadraMor like this.
  8. mojoyoyo77
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Jul 11, 2020

9. dachs
    Froyo Jul 12, 2020

dachs , Jul 12, 2020 :
    Thanks for all this information. Glad to hear that it's working great :)

Kindly request if you could compare the range between smartphone and hearing system which works without interruptions between the Pixel and OnePlus device. Would you say it is the same (best in pocket near the hearing system)?

Thanks in advance.

TahirSY likes this.
  10. TahirSY
    Donut Jul 19, 2020

TahirSY , Jul 19, 2020 :

Hey, sorry for the late reply I have tested the phones with Cochlear connectivity in 2 way (wearing jeans and sports tracksuit nylon material) with 2 phones (Oneplus 7T pro and pixel 3a Xl).

Before that, There is a big difference in the connectivity if your Cochlear in left and your phone in the right pocket or your Cochlear in right and your phone in your left pocket. Therefore, to be fair on this test, the closest pocket is on the left side and my Cochlear to the left side.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
    Let talk about experience the connectivity with wearing jeans in both phones:

Pixel 3a xl is working Great with 2 sides phone place in the normal way and upside-down way. (1% to 7% loss connectivity happed but it rare like every 2 hours happed)

OnePlus 7T Pro is working fantastic with 2 sides phone place in the normal way and upside-down way. (1% to 5% loss connectivity happed but it rare like every 2 hours happed).

(#loss connectivity mean you hear cut out the sound for 2 to 3 secedes and turn back to normal)

In my opinion on this, I cant feel there is a big difference between both phones with wearing jeans
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Let talk about experience the connectivity with wearing sports tracksuit nylon material in both phones:

(Note: nylon or polyester materials make the phone and cochlear signal weak)

There is a big difference in the connectivity if you wearing a nylon sports jacket with a nylon hoody wearing on your head and you wearing nylon sports pants that your phone on the pocket that make Cochlear a bit losing connectivity with the phone (about 15%-20% like every 30 to 45 min happed).

However, if the nylon hoody wears off your head and you wearing nylon sports pants that your phone on the pocket that makes Cochlear a bit better on losing connectivity with the phone (about 10%-15% like every 45 min to 1 hour happed).

I think it is not bad for me like running, walking and biking for 1 to 2 hours because I only wear sports tracksuit during exercise.

in my experience for better connectivity with Cochlear. Put the phone on the pocket on the normal way, not the upside-down way. or put the phone on the sports nylon jacket pocket and that is better than the phone on nylon pant pocket because of close distance to cochlear.

Also, I think on this experience with both phones that OnePlus 7T Pro has 12% a bit strong low energy Bluetooth signal the breakthrough nylon or polyester materials than Pixel 3a xl. it not a huge difference.

Sorry for too many details and tried to make it very simples as I can :)
    Hope you guys like it :)

dachs likes this.
  11. MadraMor
    Froyo Jul 21, 2020

MadraMor , Jul 21, 2020 :
    I was going to buy an Xperia to try it. Does direct streaming work ?

12. MadraMor
    Froyo Jul 21, 2020

I was going to buy an Xperia. Does direct streaming
    This is great news. Does it work when you have the phone in your front or back pants pocket ?

It's good to see that OnePlus has worked on this issue.

TahirSY likes this.
  13. MadraMor
    Froyo Jul 21, 2020

Please keep us posted. I'm in the USA and sent a letter quite a while ago directly to CEO Pete Lau in China asking him to add support for Cochlear sound processors. I'm ready to buy a phone if this works. I returned two phones when it didn't work.

The stability and quality of the Bluetooth streaming connection is extremely important to deaf individuals. I would be concerned about this in beta releases.

Perhaps OnePlus can get on the official Cochlear Compatibility list:

https://www.cochlear.com/apps/en/sound-processor-and-app/compatibility

TahirSY likes this.
  14. TahirSY
    Donut Jul 21, 2020

TahirSY , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Jul 21, 2020 :

MadraMor

I was going to buy an Xperia. Does direct streaming

This is great news. Does it work when you have the phone in your front or back pants pocket ?

It's good to see that OnePlus has worked on this issue.​

Thanks for nice reply and all pocket tests i did was on my front pants pocket not back pocket.

MadraMor likes this.
  15. mojoyoyo77
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Jul 21, 2020

mojoyoyo77 , Jul 21, 2020 :
    They told me that they were preparing a statement about it, perhaps now with the presentation of the new products they have been very busy, but I insisted on this topic that I consider very important.

MadraMor likes this.
  16. TahirSY
    Donut Jul 21, 2020

MadraMor likes this.
  17. MadraMor
    Froyo Jul 21, 2020

Please keep us posted. I'm in the USA and sent a letter quite a while ago directly to CEO Pete Lau in China asking him to add support for Cochlear sound processors. I'm ready to buy a phone if this works. I returned two phones when it didn't work.

The stability and quality of the Bluetooth streaming connection is extremely important to deaf individuals. I would be concerned about this is beta releases.

Perhaps OnePlus can get on the official Cochlear Compatibility list:

https://www.cochlear.com/apps/en/sound-processor-and-app/compatibility
    Awesome ! Thanks !

TahirSY likes this.
  18. dachs
    Froyo Jul 21, 2020

dachs , Jul 21, 2020 :
    You're welcome :) Thank you very much for all those details of your real life experience with ASHA in multiple devices. Glad to hear that One Plus not only got a working implementation furthermore it seems to be done greatly.

Best Regards
    dachs

MadraMor and TahirSY like this.
  19. dachs
    Froyo Jul 27, 2020

dachs , Jul 27, 2020 :
    Maybe they put it into the OP Nord also? This would be a device at a very reasonable price value ratio including ASHA :)

brtbrggrf and MadraMor like this.
  20. G_Goem's_Info_KuxB
    Cupcake Jul 27, 2020

G_Goem's_Info_KuxB , Jul 27, 2020 :
    Hi,
    Is the call are also working during your test ?
    Someone know if call are working with pixel or s10 ?

I m currently with Samsung a71, audio streaming works fine, but call impossible.. (thats bad bea'cause even if you make call the ohone redirect to the cochlear, and no sound works.. Need to switch every times..)

Thanks