[Submitted] Audio Streaming to Hearing Aids (ASHA) and Cochlear Nucleus 7 Sound Processor

1. TahirSY
    Donut Jul 29, 2020

TahirSY , Jul 29, 2020 :
    Hey, I have shared my full experience with pixel 3a XL in Reddit post in Cochlear page.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cochlearim...d_cochlear/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

hope it helped you.
    Thanks

2. MadraMor
    Froyo Aug 3, 2020

TahirSY likes this.
  3. TahirSY
    Donut Aug 4, 2020

TahirSY , Aug 4, 2020 :
    Hi @MadraMor Thanks for checking on me :)

The Oneplus 7T pro working great on everything like Normal sim call connection with cochlear, youtube video streaming and music streaming but I have a problem that I discovered about is really important and it should be to be fixed ASAP before final OS version.

I already have recorded the video on youtube of this issue and the link is below.

The problem is that phone is already connected with my cochlear without any problems but when I make some voice call or/and video call via (Instagram, Snapchat and Duo) the phone automatically switch on the media output to the phone speaker and then when someone responds my video call or voice call the phone media output is still on to the phone speaker not my connected cochlear.

I tried to switch on media output from the phone speaker to my cochlear device by many clicks like 5 or 8 times and never switch to the connected cochlear device. that only way to solve this issue that you need to turn the Bluetooth off and then turn it on then automatically connect to my cochlear device.

However, it only 15% chance that sometimes when I go to the media output and try to switch from the phone speaker to my cochlear device by many clicks like 5 or 8 times and it works but it still is the problem.

That means every time when I make a video call or voice call via apps that I described above. I do the same process that turns the Bluetooth off and no to makes cochlear works.

(i did not test with the Facebook video call or voice call but I am sure it facing the same problem because this is the OS problem).

I have recorded Screenshot example of the video call via Duo on youtube that shows the problem and how it looks like.

Also, it happened the same with other apps like (Instagram and Snapchat)

I hope the Oneplus team can fix it ASAP.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020

MadraMor likes this.
  4. MadraMor
    Froyo Aug 5, 2020

MadraMor , Aug 5, 2020 :
    Thank you for that information. I hope it is fixed very soon. Based on your posts, I think I will buy the 7T.

TahirSY likes this.
  5. bsg
    Donut Aug 5, 2020

bsg , Aug 5, 2020 :
    Just updated my OP7t pro (not beta), and here it is. And it's working! Thanks for listening OP

TahirSY and MadraMor like this.
  6. MadraMor
    Froyo Aug 5, 2020

MadraMor , Aug 5, 2020 :
    Here's some info from my recent e-mail with Cochlear:

"...Hearing Aid Audio Support (or ASHA - https://source.android.com/devices/bluetooth/asha) is something that Google helped us bring to market. It did take us a number of years to convince them to do it but the unfortunate thing is that they made it optional for OEMs [Original Equipment Manufacturers] to implement it. We’ve had a fair amount of expressions of interest in OEMs implementing the technology but it does involve some minimum requirements from the OEMs, e.g. Android 10 and above, also only works on particular Bluetooth chips."

TahirSY likes this.
  7. MadraMor
    Froyo Aug 5, 2020

MadraMor , Aug 5, 2020 :
    From Google Disability Support about Pixel 4a:

"Thank you for contacting Google Disability Support!

My name is Thomas and I will be assisting you today. I have reviewed your support request, and I see you want to know if the Pixel 4a has the specifications to support Bluetooth Low Energy, such as the previous iterations of Pixel devices. I will be more than happy to help provide you with an answer!

I've taken some time to research this, and I was able to confirm that the Pixel 4 and Pixel 3a is supported with the Nucleus 7 Sound Processor. With this knowledge I was able to compare the specifications of the Pixel 4, Pixel 3a, and the Pixel 4a. I am happy to say that each of these phones offers Bluetooth Low Energy ASHA support, and the Pixel 4a in addition offers A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile.)"

TahirSY likes this.
  8. MadraMor
    Froyo Aug 5, 2020

MadraMor , Aug 5, 2020 :
    That's excellent. Glad to see it in the stable build.

TahirSY likes this.
  9. TahirSY
    Donut Aug 6, 2020

TahirSY , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Aug 6, 2020 :
    Yeah go ahead with 7T but the only issue is Annoying me that media output connection choice for a video call or voice call via apps because I used them a lot, it needs to be fixed very soon and if they fixed it The Oneplus phones will be bug-free with cochlear hopefully.[e]1f44c[/e]🏽😀

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020

10. MadraMor
    Froyo Aug 6, 2020

MadraMor , Aug 6, 2020 :
    That's excellent. Glad to see it in the stab
    Do you have the McLaren ?

11. TahirSY
    Donut Aug 6, 2020

TahirSY , via OnePlus 7T Pro , Aug 6, 2020 :
    No I dont have McLaren eddition. I just have normal OnePlus 7T pro.

12. G_Joseph_Tole_HDbb
    Eclair Aug 10, 2020

G_Joseph_Tole_HDbb , Aug 10, 2020 :
    Just as I had predicted, the OP7 Pro is compatible. I just received an update and it now works. It had mentioned ASHA in the upgrade notes before I installed and I just sighed and said "Finally!". After the upgrade, it now works flawlessly. The only thing I don't like, and this isn't a flaw, is that when I connected to the mini mic from Cochlear, the volume indicator on the phone changed to show that it's adjusting the volume on a bluetooth device. The volume for ASHA doesn't look any different than if it's not connected to a bluetooth device so I have to double check is it connected or am I hearing this from the phone speaker. That's not a fault, per se, but I would prefer if the volume indicator changed to indicate that it was now streaming to a remote device. Anyways, enjoy ASHA as it rolls out to all compatible devices. My prediction is that at least the OP5 should still be compatible and maybe the 4 but don't ask me when or if OP will get around to rolling out that update because, just as I hed predicted with the OP7 Pro, it will happen as soon as they have the time and resources to get around to it.

TahirSY and MadraMor like this.
  13. MadraMor
    Froyo Aug 14, 2020

MadraMor , Aug 14, 2020 :
    I just received the 7T and it says "operating system not supported." Are you using the stable build or beta ? Did you pair first with Bluetooth or with the Cochlear app ?
    My Bluetooth is only showing a number of various device MAC addresses rather than one that says Cochlear.

TahirSY likes this.
  14. MadraMor
    Froyo Aug 16, 2020

MadraMor , Aug 16, 2020 :
    I have T-Mobile service and the 7T is locked to TMO (even though I paid in full) so the most recent 7T stable update with ASHA could not be installed. Therefore, the Cochlear app said OS not supported.
    OnePlus said it couldn't unlock the phone. TMO said the phone would have to be activated and used on its network for 40 days before it could be unlocked. So I'll be returning the 7T.
    Maybe I'll buy the 7 Pro....

TahirSY likes this.
  15. MadraMor
    Froyo Aug 18, 2020

MadraMor , Aug 18, 2020 :
    I might keep the 7T and wait for T-Mobile to approve the update with ASHA.

TahirSY likes this.
  16. TahirSY
    Donut Sep 8, 2020

TahirSY , Sep 8, 2020 :

Hi, I discovered this issue was from the main google android OS software not oneplus OS because it has the same issue with my pixel 3a XL as well.
    @MadraMor do you think we need to report to google? and how can I do that?
    @Abdul B can you help to report this issue?
    @mojoyoyo77
    Thanks

17. EmanuelTimo
    Eclair Sep 10, 2020

EmanuelTimo , Sep 10, 2020 :
    Hello!

I just had surgery and in about 3 weeks, it's activation time. I will connect my N7 processor to Oneplus 8 Pro and confirm if it's working. My audiologist will make sure that my N7 processor will have the latest firmware. I've made sure that I run the latest Oxygen OS 10.5.12.IN11BA, and, activated Hearing Aids in the Accessibility menu.

If it would not work, I will try with installing Oxygen 11 beta on my OP8Pro.

Cheers,

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020

MadraMor likes this.
  18. MadraMor
    Froyo Sep 28, 2020

19. MadraMor
    Froyo Sep 28, 2020

MadraMor , Sep 28, 2020 :
    Looking forward to hearing if this works.

EmanuelTimo likes this.
  20. TahirSY
    Donut Sep 28, 2020

MadraMor likes this.