[Submitted] Auto HDR mode processes totally blurred images in low light

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stesind
    Froyo Dec 1, 2016

stesind , Dec 1, 2016 :
    Take pictures in low light auto HDR mode. Images are totally blurry. Not just textures are washed out with sharp edges like in normal light HDRa or in 3.5.7 low light but overall blurry. Turning off HDR gives much sharper images with higher detail.

ChrisAbbottHauxwell and khanhee like this.
  2. khanhee
    Eclair Dec 3, 2016

khanhee , Dec 3, 2016 :
    Can confirm. See photos. Check the handwriting on the paper on all 3 photos. The one without blurry text and with little noise in the entire photo is from HQ mode. The non-blurry one with more noise is HQ and HDR off. The blurry one is from HDR Auto.

Attached Files:

vicusbass likes this.
  3. Lynn T.
    Honeycomb Dec 14, 2016

Lynn T. , Dec 14, 2016 :
    Hello @stesind, I was wondering if you're able to receive our emails. We'd greatly appreciate if you could share to us some photos you've taken so we could simulate the scene as described above. Thanks!

@khanhee Would you submit a new bug report so I could forward it to our Engineers for further analysis?

4. viper2097
    Gingerbread Dec 14, 2016

viper2097 , Dec 14, 2016 :
    You should know how it works to take an HDR picture:
    A HDR Picture consists of normaly three pictures taken.
    One with normal exposure, one with a shorter exposure (to get highlights like the flame of a torch) and one with a longer exposure like a dark area.
    So when you have already with a normal picture a problem with the long exposure time creating blur under low light conditions, a HDR makes this even more difficult because its useing a much longer exposure for at least one pic.

Go to the situation where you have a problem with a blurry HDR Image and make the same picture when you stabilize the phone on a table or something. It will not be blurry anymore.

HDR is not meant ro be used under low light conditions, HDR is meant ro be used under conditions with high contrasts (like photograph something in a shadow while looking against the sun).

5. Lynn T.
    Honeycomb Dec 21, 2016

Lynn T. , Dec 21, 2016 :
    Hi @stesind, I'm sorry, but I need to close this thread as well since we haven't received any response from you. Please feel free to contact me if you'd like to follow up. Thank you!