2. Auto-respond to calls from selected contacts

3. Auto-respond to all calls during certain time of the day

4. Auto-respond to calls if I don't pick even after 5 rings

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. jol333 Cupcake Feb 20, 2019

jol333, Feb 20, 2019 :
    Feature: Auto-respond to incoming calls

Who are the users?

• Businessmen, sales person etc. who receive numerous calls daily.
    • Women who are afraid to pickup calls from strangers.
    • Students who don’t want to wakeup early in the morning just to pick a call.
    • People who travel a lot, especially in 2 wheelers.
    • People who don’t want to talk directly to certain contacts (ex-bf, stalker)
    • Anyone who are not in a situation to take their mobile and respond to calls.

What is the proposed function?

In India, most of the telecom services providers don’t have a voice mail feature. So whenever I am busy, I have to keep my phone in either silent mode or airplane mode. Afterwards, when I check the call history, all I could see is a bunch of missed calls from various numbers. Then I have to call them back or wait for them to call me again to know the reason.

Also, we get so many spam calls from various unknown numbers, mainly regarding credit cards and personal loans. So I tend to ignore calls from unknown numbers. Due to this, sometimes I miss some important calls also.

The proposed feature is a functionality to respond to incoming calls with a pre-defined audio message. This can be a computerised voice (text to speech) or recorded human voice. After the playback of this voice message, the phone will record the caller’s response. Later on, user can listen to this recorded audio from their call history. Based on that, the user can decide to call back, ignore or mark the number as a spam.

User can set the number of rings after which the call will be auto-responded. User can pick the call before it goes into auto-respond mode. Even during the auto-respond time, user can pick the call.

User can enable the auto-respond feature for all calls, calls from selected contacts or all unknown numbers. There is an additional option to enable this feature only during particular time of the day. User can quickly enable or disable the auto respond feature from Android Quick Settings tray instead of going to the Settings page.

This feature can also be included as a part of ‘Do not disturb’ mode. Auto Respond to calls will be enabled automatically in ‘Do not disturb’ mode.

What is the user value?
    • Reduce the fear of missing out (FOMO).
    • No more getting anxious about a missed call.
    • No need to pickup the calls when not in a mood or busy.
    • No more answering to spam calls.
    • Avoid missing an important message just because you couldn’t pickup the call.

If there are existing comparable functions in the smartphone industry, how is your proposed feature superior?

Google has introduced Call Screen feature last year which I think is an amazing functionality. But sadly, it is only available to English speakers in the United States who have Pixel 2, 2 XL, 3, or 3XL devices.

Ref:
    https://support.google.com/phoneapp/answer/9094888
    https://support.google.com/phoneapp/answer/9118387

This Auto Respond feature can be considered as the first step towards reaching this end-goal.

I searched around for a 3rd party app to pickup the calls automatically & play a pre-recorded message, and also record the response from the caller. All I could find was these apps which was far from useful:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.different.personalvmail
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.arlosoft.macrodroid

YouMail looks like a promising voice mail app, but not available in India.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.youmail.android.vvm

Logic behind this product and how you want it to be implemented

Workflow:
    Goto Settings > Utilities > Auto Respond to Calls

Step 1:
    01.png
    Enable Auto Respond

Step 2:
    02.png
    Mode of Response: Select ‘Computer Voice’ > Type the message > Select voice set > Listen to the typed message in selected voice.

or

03.png
    Mode of Response: Select ‘Recorded Voice’ > Record the message > Listen to recorded voice

Step 3:
    Enable auto-recording of caller’s response.
    Set maximum recording duration

Step 4:
    Call pickup settings
    Set number of rings before auto-pickup of call
    Pickup calls from: All numbers/All unknown numbers/Selected contacts

Step 5:
    Schedule: Enable auto respond feature only during certain time period of the day
    It will be handy if we can enable & disable the auto respond feature from the Android Quick Settings tray.

Step 6:
    04.png
    Listen to recorded response from Call History

Default Settings:
    Mode of Response: Computer Voice
    Message: “The person you are calling is currently busy. Please leave a message after the beep”
    Record caller’s response: Enabled
    Maximum record time: 30 seconds
    Auto-respond after: 5 rings
    Auto-respond to call from: All Numbers
    Schedule: Not set (Full time)

Artboard.png

Note: There is no personal info in the above screenshots. They are dummy information just for demonstration purpose.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019

An.I.Am likes this.
  2. An.I.Am Jelly Bean Moderator Feb 20, 2019

An.I.Am, Feb 20, 2019 :
    I don't know how it is in India, but here we are not used to the voice mail and leaving a message after a missed call so it won't work for me, but do you think people will use this feature when calling you?

Just out of curiosity why wuold you leave a message in this way when you can leave a vocal or a normal message on whatsapp? I for one feel more awkward leaving a message in a voice mail rather than sending a text.:D

LegolasX likes this.
  3. jol333 Cupcake Feb 20, 2019

jol333, Feb 20, 2019 :
    It depends on personal preference. It is awkward for me to Whatsapp or text someone who is not my friend. Also, why not just tell the reason why you called during the call itself. How would the other guy understand just by seeing a missed call that you've texted him in the Whatsapp or somewhere else?