Auto show/hide navigation bar

1. Signmen Cupcake Jan 6, 2018

Signmen, Jan 6, 2018 :
    could we have a feature that set the preference of each application whether the navigation bar is shown or hidden defaultly?

apps like YouTube are designed that user don't have to hit the back button to navigate through the interface as much compare to other apps

meanwhile Instagram only have a back button built on the top right corner of the interface. it's a nightmare to hit that button on an 6" 18:9. yes, I know I can leave the navigation bar on there, but I want that little more screen for browsing content and not constantly bringing it out and close it back

evermore, some apps that did a great job on navigate without back button (swipe from left like iPhone) with black mode, when I open the app with closing apps that are poorly designed navigation (like Instagram ), I'll have to turn off the navigation bar again. not so convenient

please make the option of default navigation bar show/hide for each app

#edited
    I do know there is an option that toggle a small circle on the nav bar for hide the bar
    What I really mean is open apps with nav bar shown/hide accordingly

For example, I set nav bar enable for YouTube, set nav bar disable for Instagram
    When I open YouTube, the nav bar hides;
    then if I open Instagram, the nav bar shows

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018

niklas389 likes this.
  2. ethansuleman Honeycomb Jan 6, 2018

ethansuleman, Jan 6, 2018 :
    there is an option for that though. please refrain from posting irrelevant threads on the forum before looking through the forum.

3. Lunsarn Froyo Jan 6, 2018

Lunsarn, Jan 6, 2018 :
    There isn't, read what he wrote again. And then again before being smart.

4. alogim Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 6, 2018

alogim, Jan 6, 2018 :
    I don't know what the OP means. There indeed is an option to show/hide the navigation bar. And whenever you want, you can make it hide or stay with that small circular button on the left.

5. Lunsarn Froyo Jan 6, 2018

Lunsarn, Jan 6, 2018 :
    It's like an auto hide option for certain apps. If I for example enter Chrome it hides the navbar automatically for this app and then goes back to normal as soon as I exit the app. It's nothing u can't do now, this would just be more convenient and smooth [e]1f60a[/e] Like LineageOS's automatic full immersive mode for selected apps.

6. alogim Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 6, 2018

alogim, Jan 6, 2018 :
    Ah, so you mean a way such that user interaction is not needed at all (i.e., not even tapping on the button to hide it)?

7. Ed_88 Honeycomb Jan 6, 2018

Ed_88, Jan 6, 2018 :

alogim

Ah, so you mean a way such that user interaction is not needed at all (i.e., not even tapping on the button to hide it)?​

yes I think that is what he wants, I too want that.
    I know xposed has modules to do that but I don't want to root this phone just yet.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018

8. Ed_88 Honeycomb Jan 6, 2018

Ed_88, Jan 6, 2018 :
    too* not shall.
    why does the app not allow post editing?!

9. alogim Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 6, 2018

alogim, Jan 6, 2018 :
    Actually, it does...

10. Ed_88 Honeycomb Jan 6, 2018

Ed_88, Jan 6, 2018 :
    the community app?
    all i get when I hit the 3 dots under my post is the option to reply, quote or report myself xD

sorry for going off topic btw.

11. alogim Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 6, 2018

alogim, Jan 6, 2018 :
    Yes, the Community app.

1515266981840.jpg

Ed_88 likes this.
  12. Ed_88 Honeycomb Jan 6, 2018

Ed_88, Jan 6, 2018 :

alogim

Yes, the Community app.

View attachment 668038

thanks! the app was on an old update despite auto updates being on.
    just manually updated it and it works fine now

alogim likes this.
  13. Signmen Cupcake Jan 6, 2018

Signmen, Jan 6, 2018 :
    I do know there is an option that toggle a small circle on the nav bar for hide the bar
    What I really mean is open apps with nav bar shown/hide accordingly

For example, I set nav bar enable for YouTube, set nav bar disable for Instagram
    When I open YouTube, the nav bar hides;
    then if I open Instagram, the nav bar shows

14. ethansuleman Honeycomb Jan 6, 2018

ethansuleman, Jan 6, 2018 :
    ohhhhhh ok i see what you mean now

15. Signmen Cupcake Jan 7, 2018

16. jeremytbradshaw Eclair Jan 15, 2018

jeremytbradshaw, Jan 15, 2018 :
    Haha, holy.. Your thread has been butchered. It's a simple concept what you're describing. I think either LG or Samsung have "Full screen apps" where everything hides for specified apps, including the notification bar. It would be the equivalent of that, but more emphasis/importance on the navigation bar in this case. It would be a great feature, especially if it could somehow apply to apps like GBoard which are a huge pain to work with when the sensative navigation bar is so close to where you type.

17. Jaws_ Cupcake May 28, 2019

Jaws_, May 28, 2019 :
    I am reviving this thread because this is still not implemented.
    My LG V30 does exactly that - via the small button on the left of the navigation bar you can hide or lock it. On my V30 it remembers this setting for each app.
    Oxygen OS does not, this would be a really nice feature to have on my soon-to-arrive OnePlus 7 Pro.

18. msnella Cupcake Jun 26, 2019

msnella, Jun 26, 2019 :
    I would also like to have this feature as well but for a different reason:

Some full screen apps utilize so much of the screen without a buffer around the edges that it is difficult to swipe up to show the nav bar on the 7 Pro if you are using any type of protective case.

An option to show or hide the nav bar for individual apps that actually overrides what the app itself wants to do, would be helpful (in my case, to force the nav bar to always show up)

Another solution might be to have an option to underscan the whole display by 5% for certain apps to get the touchscreen area edges of the display away from the physical edges of the display.