autofocus, but appears to be software related

1. Marc.Fellman
    Donut Sep 20, 2018

Marc.Fellman , Sep 20, 2018 :
    Hi all, my 3T is still a great phone... except for the camera. The autofocus is sometimes not working. After a reboot or a wait switching different camera apps it is working again. Not great if you want to take a quick picture. Because it is not always not working it can hardly be hardware or could it?

Marc

2. 48K
    Cupcake Sep 20, 2018

48K , Sep 20, 2018 :
    Try with other camera apps (ex.WhatsApp). If you verify the same behaviour, backup all your data and perform an hard reset.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/official-heres-how-to-back-up-your-oneplus-device.777890/

Here's how to do that:
    a. Install the OnePlus Switch app from the Google Playstore.
    b. Launch the OnePlus Switch app.
    c. Allow all necessary permissions once prompted.
    d. On the device, choose > Backup and Restore.
    Select > New Backup
    Select items to backup
    Select > Backup Now.
    Select > Done once backup is complete.
    e. Transfer backup files to a desktop computer. (File Path: Internal Storage > Backup)

You can sync your Google account to backup Apps data, wifi settings, pictures, and contacts. Make sure you have enabled auto sync and backup data from settings. For music, video or other files, you can copy the files to computer by connecting the USB cable.

Hard reset instruction:
    1.Turn off the phone completely.
    2.Press and hold the volume down and Power button.
    3.Select English
    4.Select Wipe data and cache "Wipe data and cache.
    5. Select Erase everything

Setup the device as first use and check the back camera autofocus.
    If you get no focus and photos came out blurred you maybe have the camera module out of place.
    Contact support for RMA pick-up instructions.

Good luck!

3. ERock62
    Gingerbread Sep 20, 2018

ERock62 , Sep 20, 2018 :
    I ended up replacing the camera on my 3T due to a focus issue. I did a full wipe, tried various camera apps. Had not luck. Replaced the camera and zero focus issues.

Marc.Fellman likes this.
  4. Marc.Fellman
    Donut Sep 20, 2018

Marc.Fellman , Sep 20, 2018 :
    Guess that I have to do a RMA than. ☹️

5. ERock62
    Gingerbread Sep 20, 2018

ERock62 , Sep 20, 2018 :
    I just replaced it myself. I did not want to deal with having to send it in. Took ~20mins taking my time.

6. Nikolay Dmitrievich
    Cupcake Sep 20, 2018

7. leo98918
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 21, 2018

leo98918 , Sep 21, 2018 :
    This had been an ongoing issue for some time now. From what I've read, from other 3/3T users, all you have to do is find a local OnePlus authorized retailer or phone repair shop and they should be able to replace the module with no charge since MANY have reported this issue.

The retailer won't be able to fix it for you, since they only sell devices, but they should be able to point you in the right direction of a proper repair shop that is authorized under OnePlus. If not, they can point you to a local one that will do the job fairly cheap.

8. Marc.Fellman
    Donut Sep 21, 2018

Marc.Fellman , Sep 21, 2018 :
    The phone is still under Dutch warranty. So I'll wait till I hear back from OnePlus, bought the phone via the website.

9. jaivaghela
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 21, 2018

jaivaghela , Sep 21, 2018 :
    Hey man, I had the same issue all of a sudden with my 3 & 3T, tried factory resetting etc and nothing worked, camera focus hardly worked. I just had to order new camera units online on Amazon and changed them myself, the cameras are working great now.

10. Marc.Fellman
    Donut Sep 26, 2018

Marc.Fellman , Sep 26, 2018 :
    Hmm, back from repair. Autofocus is working but only for closeups. It was back within a week just a Ahmed it might need to be re repaired.....