Average Guy OnePlus One Review (Canada)

1. Osei_ak
    Gingerbread Jul 18, 2014

Osei_ak , Jul 18, 2014 :

Previous Smartphone: Nexus 5

Introduction

Hi folks, I wanted to give you all a quick review of my experience with Oneplus, ever since I got an invite last Saturday. The interest begun with seeing pictures of oneplus implicitly mocking other manufacturers like apple. At the time I didn’t know who oneplus was and so I begun to do research which eventually led me to these forums. As an early member (# 6000's) I contributed to the various polls, and as the specs were being gradually released, I became increasingly convinced that this was going to be my next phone. I was also one of those people who stayed up all night to watch that 3 hour long unveiling, made worse by the fact that I had to be at work in the morning.

Invite and Purchasing Experience

It was early Saturday morning at 6am; I had been working an overnight and as a manager I was doing my finals rounds at which moment, my nexus 5 vibrated. Not thinking anything of it, I continued to go about my rounds. My phone continued to vibrate continuously as I was clearly getting several notifications. For a brief moment, I was slightly irritated as I wish I could've looked at my wrist for a quick glance at my pebble to see what those notifications were. Unfortunately, for those who have owned a Nexus 5, like myself, know that the battery life is so poor that sacrifices have to be made; in this case, not being able to use my pebble smart watch. I finally got around to taking out my Nexus 5 and swiping away at those notifications that turned out to be spam emails, flyers, news and subscription updates. One of those emails were titled "Oneplus" which definitely caught my eye. I could only imagine that it was another contest for invites that I wasn’t going to get anyways so "why bother" however there was a small glimpse of hope that it would be an invite.
    [​IMG]

True enough, it was an invite. My heart leaped for joy and my attitude completely changed. I couldn't help but run to show my colleague who is also currently waiting for an invite. Needless to say that he is jealous.

Sidenote: I really got tired of all the contest and so I had almost decided I would just get a G3 instead but I didn't. I just patiently waited, and it looks like it paid off

In light of receiving the invite, the next step was to create a paypal account. Fast forward, I claimed the invite and tried purchasing the phone, however like several people on these forums, paypal wouldn’t allow me to purchase the phone. I was incredibly frustrated. All I could imagine was being one of those lucky people to receive the invite and not being able to use it. Thanks to the wonderful community on these forums, I found the workaround where you could purchase the phone with a credit card without the need of a paypal account.

Phone ordered: July 12 (Sandstone Black 64GB)

Processing: July 13

Shipping confirmation: 11pm July 14

Delivered: July 15 1:30 PM

Cost to Canada: Phone $416.81 CAD

Duty: $64.74 CAD

Total: $481.55 CAD

Yes Canadians have to pay a lot more for the phone. Canada was not intended to be a launch country but given the fact that there was demand, Oneplus decided to ship to Canada through the US store. Painful but grateful none the less as the cost is still lower than buying any other flagship phone.

Shipping was very fast which I am grateful for however I am slightly pissed that DHL just left it at my doorstep without informing me. I guess that’s what happens when you pay your duty ahead of time.

Packaging

Everyone who has seen and reviewed he packaging has always said that it is "one of the best." I whole heartedly agree.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In short.....Amazing phone...amazing battery life (compared to Nexus 5)

to be Continued....

pcngo, dracinn, sp0ngeb0b12 and 2 others like this.
  2. Hanka
    Eclair Jul 18, 2014

3. Hanson Lee
    Marshmallow Jul 18, 2014

4. ngocan38
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 18, 2014

ngocan38 , Jul 18, 2014 :
    You are not Canadian, I didn't see any maple syrup in the pictures :p

5. mmediadev
    Jelly Bean Jul 18, 2014

6. Hanka
    Eclair Jul 18, 2014

Hanka , Jul 18, 2014 :
    I got interested in your review :) not because of Canada but because of
    Average Guy
    :D

7. keenez
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 18, 2014

8. Romeo
    Gingerbread Jul 18, 2014

Romeo , Jul 18, 2014 :
    Congratulations buddy ... very nice review ... waiting to read the continuation of it ... Keep up the good work coming :D And share the invites and count me in :D

9. aris
    Jelly Bean Jul 18, 2014

10. dracinn
    Honeycomb Jul 19, 2014

dracinn , Jul 19, 2014 :
    First, congrats on getting the phone !

I love your post because it so aptly describes the emotional roller coaster we all went through. I almost felt like I was reading my story, although mine started a little earlier than yours.

Definitely, looking forward to the continuation.

Thanks again for the great post. :)

shayes12, Osei_ak and Hanka like this.
  11. ofaiz
    Eclair Sep 17, 2014

ofaiz , Sep 17, 2014 :
    Congrats on your phone! Thanks for the review!

I should be getting mine soon as well :)

Curious how you paid the DHL Duty in advance? Just looking to avoid delays. UPDATE: its mypayment.dhl.ca

Thank you for the review!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

12. rnmhaag
    Jelly Bean Sep 17, 2014

13. Ruined Cities
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 17, 2014