[B.I.T.S. Photography pills] Part 4 - Recommendations

1. B.I.T.S.
    User of the Year 2019 Dec 1, 2019

B.I.T.S. , Dec 1, 2019 :
    Welcome back to a new episode my dear pills followers!

This time, after seeing the increasing interest in some of you and with the holidays ahead, I thought it could be interesting sharing some ideas for you that might be perfect for Christmas gifts or for those free moments you might have.

(Don't worry about your hunger curiosity, every single name that will be mentioned here will appear in future pills.)

---​

Must known web sites:

- Magnum: If you are in search of nice articles to read about photography, visit this. I've shared already some around, but feel free to investigate, discover new points of view, new names, new styles, new ways of looking at our world.

- Word Press Photo: If you enjoy a good photojournalist series of photos that talk about actual situations happening right here right now, this is your place.

Documentaries/Videos

If you are a bit lazy and prefer to watch documentaries, I have some perfect ideas for you:

- "Contacts": Short videos that focus on important names. These series are very interesting because you get to see what usually is hidden, the before and after of an image, how many attempts took the photographer to get that "perfect" shot, how many steps back and forward he/she took, why was selected one or another photo, even tho you might find better the discarded ones.

- War Photographer. A documentary about James Nachtwey. Only by writing his name I get goosebumps remembering when I watched it. It is a must, not only for photographers but for every human being.

- Two videos of two contemporary photographers talking about their works: Cristina de Middel and Duane Michals.

- Myriads of God - Nobuyuki Kobayashi. I can't put into words what's this about. Just watch it. Feel it. Jump inside the magic atmosphere it creates.

Books

If you know me a little bit you already know my love for books. And they couldn't be forgotten here.

After watching some of the previous videos you might have the need to add to your books self a book of some author. Feel free to ask me for specific recommendations if you are douting in which one you should buy.

I know as an "amateur" photographer that wants to start taking photos your first choices will be the kind of books like "how to take good photos", "how to take travel photos", "how my DSLR works". I kindly advise you to ignore those books. The images they include are usually visually pleasant but photography speaking they aren't good. Would you go to eat at a McDonalds if you want to be on a healthy diet? This is the same. If you really want to feed your eye properly, don't waste your money there.

The kind of books that I'm going to mention won't teach you about how to use your camera in manual mode (maybe this will be another pill). Nevertheless, they will make you open your eyes to another meaning of the word "photography".

- Books about photography history: I'd start here. This would be my first option to buy if you're into photography, if you want to learn more, if you need a bunch of important names...

A specific suggestion will be buying this one.

- Magnum Contact Sheets: One of my favorite books. It is similar to the videos I share before but centered in one specific photo (usually the most famous one) from Magnum photographers. I'd say is an advanced book, if you need to know more... I'm here.

- Word Press Photo: Each year they edit a book with the winners. It is another interesting option. Probably you'll be able to find the book from previous years if there's some specific one that interests you the most.

- Susan Sontag: If you want something denser, deeper, more philosophic and theoretic, read her book "On Photography". She will keep you thinking for a while. It is not easy to read tho! (As an interesting fact, she had a relationship with Annie Leibovitz.)

---​

If you want more, need extended information and/or are curious about more... You know what to do! I really hope you enjoyed this different kind of pill, and more importantly, enjoy watching, discovering and learning.

Follow the leads I gave you and if you want, I'd love hearing your discoveries, your thoughts, your opinions...

Thank you! And happy December!

v1adimir, aolirl, TibiTibi and 9 others like this.
  2. Wonderwoman13
    KitKat Dec 1, 2019

Wonderwoman13 , Dec 1, 2019 :
    Woww, yet another informative pill!:)
    I'll be soon going through these sites.:D

Thanksss my boooo! ლ(◕ω◕ლ)
    Have a happy December, you too;)

B.I.T.S., Cheetosdust and G_plusone like this.
  3. Deactivated User
    Dec 1, 2019

B.I.T.S. and Cheetosdust like this.
  4. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Dec 1, 2019

Cheetosdust , Dec 1, 2019 :
    Thank you for elaborating this handy list, @B.I.T.S. :)

I only know one name, Sontag, so I have a lot to discover. And even Sontag, I don't know her work related to photography.

Now I'm really really interested in watching "War Photographer", going to check if it's available here.

Thank you once again and have a happy December.:cool:

5. B.I.T.S.
    User of the Year 2019 Dec 1, 2019

B.I.T.S. , Dec 1, 2019 :
    You have lots of informative entertainment here! :p

Let me know what you think and if you found a favorite one!

Thank you very much my Boooooo ლ(ꈍωꈍლ)

You have loads of materials here for your Sunday!! (I hope Itzal likes it too :D)

I really hope you can find it. My fav teacher lent it to me and if before I already loved James, after watching it... :rolleyes:

As for Sontag, she has some really interesting ideas... But you do know other names around here, or at least you should since they have been mentioned before. Were you not paying any attention Chetito?

6. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Dec 1, 2019

Starcommander likes this.
  7. aolirl
    Honeycomb Dec 10, 2019