2. Horizontal / Notebook

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. YRJ
    Marshmallow Feb 11, 2020

YRJ , Feb 11, 2020 :
    20200212_003011_0000.png

Hello Community,
    In the world of fold-ables, foldable smartphones are having a tough time to prove their worth and make believe that they will be mainstream soon.

We have seen several folding phones in the past, the Royole FlexPai, the troubled Samsung Galaxy Fold and the Huawei Mate X. All of them have a notebook style form, which opens and closes horizontally.

OEM's are now taking an old school approach with foldable smartphones. It's a return of the good ol' flip Phones that you can slap shut when your angry! (It's feels Soo good :p ) However, things aren't the same as before, I doubt whether these fragile prices of tech can bear the wrath anymore.

The idea of a folding phones excites me, how comfortable it is to carry a tablet sized phone in your pocket, but the exorbitant prices ($1320 onwards) and doubtful durability have kept it from becoming mainstream just yet.

Despite having an uncertain future and a relatively small market, a new iteration has been added to the family of fold-ables by Samsung who has launched it's brand new Galaxy Flip Z, that popped up in an advert at the Oscars recently.
    The Flip Z similar to the Moto Razr 2020 folds in half and adopts a clamshell style form factor that is not only comfortable to hold but also justifies the purpose of having a hinge.
    The original razr phone and the Razr 2020 have the almost same dimensions but the screen to body on the 2020 variant is MUCH higher!

Imo, the clamshell style fold is what seems more practical and makes more sense. For a first generation product Motorola and Samsung have done a pretty good job, with the latter having a flexible glass display.
    I believe the future generations will be more structurally sound and also comparatively cheaper.

What do you think of this kind of a fold? Vent it below!

If OnePlus made a similar folding phone, would you buy it?

Peace ;)

G_plusone, sommersy and anunayC like this.
  2. anunayC
    Gingerbread Feb 11, 2020

anunayC , via OnePlus 6T Thunder Purple , Feb 11, 2020 :
    Just watched the Unpacked event! Was super excited to see a totally random S20 Google Play Edition (just like the ones back in the day). Although it didn't quite happen, the Galaxy Z is very exciting!

I really like their design and am so surprised they undercut the Moto RAZR phone and made it cheaper!

I've seen the Galaxy fold in person and played around with it (Thanks to Geeky Ranjit hehe). Hopefully he also gets the lastest and greatest from Samsung this time around as well so I can experience this myself.

One thing I notice is the small screen seems way too tiny as a secondary display, let's see if that's convenient enough :)

YRJ and G_plusone like this.
  3. sommersy
    KitKat Feb 11, 2020

sommersy , Feb 11, 2020 :
    If they made one like the Galaxy Z Flip, you mean?...then yes, maybe. But the razr?...I've seen a good few videos on it by now, and I'm not convinced. The screen seems too flimsy, and the overall build quality just doesn't seem to be there. Plus, the specs...even with the foldable-ness, I doubt it's worth the price.

Then again, I can't believe the cost of the z flip either :eek: It had better be the tank of clamshells, for all that :p

YRJ and G_plusone like this.
  4. G_plusone
    Marshmallow Feb 12, 2020

G_plusone , Feb 12, 2020 :
    The z flip if it is as durable as the Moto Razr is a great buy for the price with Flagship specs.
    The Click of the Clamshell design is satisfying than the vertical folds :p
    Looks like The Flip phones will be more affordable next year ;)

YRJ likes this.
  5. YRJ
    Marshmallow Feb 12, 2020

YRJ , Feb 12, 2020 :
    Surprising it even has flagship specs, while the razr is still a upper midranger.
    Wow that's great.
    Send me live photos hehehe! ;)
    Something's better than nothing though! Looks cool imo.
    Well, it's a "old wine in a new bottle" form factor. People seem to be liking it very much and hence are paying the premium. ;)

Although it is still VERY expensive, people can't stop talking about better and still cheaper than Moto. Nice move from Samsung.
    I love it too :D
    I still wont buy it. XD

sommersy, anunayC and G_plusone like this.
  6. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow Feb 12, 2020

YRJ likes this.
  7. YRJ
    Marshmallow Feb 12, 2020

YRJ , Feb 12, 2020 :
    I'm with you on the pop up :D

ghostofcain likes this.
  8. Starcommander
    Lollipop Feb 12, 2020

Starcommander , Feb 12, 2020 :
    I dont feel the importance of a phone still staying a phone when unfolded. What's the use of it if we ain't getting a different form factor when unfolded?
    Samsung fold is great, the z flip isn't

9. YRJ
    Marshmallow Feb 12, 2020

YRJ , Feb 12, 2020 :
    But is it not awesome that it takes half the space, fits in your palm and slips in girls' purse like a compact powder?

10. Loveit
    KitKat Feb 12, 2020

Loveit , Feb 12, 2020 :
    What the hell is going on with the unnecessary winks, smilies, tongues out, etc in this thread?

Does every line need to be followed with this insanity?

malidan likes this.
  11. sommersy
    KitKat Feb 13, 2020

sommersy , Feb 13, 2020 :
    Full disclosure...I was all set to buy a z flip - back before the price was leaked. 100% believed it was going to cost the same as a base model S20 :oops:

Moral of the story: OP should wait until they can put a foldable like it out at that price-point - or lower even. With flexible glass rather than plastic. And a good secondary-screen set-up.
    And the ability to go in a pocket without the fear it'll eat any dust or lint in there.
    And a hinge without a weird creak :p

G_plusone and YRJ like this.
  12. Loveit
    KitKat Feb 13, 2020

Loveit , Feb 13, 2020 :
    :eek:

sommersy likes this.
  13. YRJ
    Marshmallow Feb 14, 2020

YRJ , Feb 14, 2020 :
    I still see the crease :p

sommersy likes this.
  14. sommersy
    KitKat Feb 14, 2020

sommersy , Feb 14, 2020 :
    Ikr - how could I?! :p :D

Don't worry though; watching galaxy unpacked reminded me that Samsung is Samsung, and Samsung...likes pushing closed-source bloat. So yeah, guess I'll go back to never buying their phones again until they ease up on that.