Background Download Stops?! via OnePlus 8T

1. LondonVirus
    Froyo Jan 25, 2021

LondonVirus , via OnePlus 8T , Jan 25, 2021 :
    Hi all,

I have an annoying problem on the OnePlus 8T, everytime I start a download in apps such as Chrome or Fortnite for example, the download stops as soon as I switch to another app.

I had a look online but can't find a solution, I checked/tested power saver, power optimization, background data etcetera, but say for example on Chrome I am downloading from the site Mega.com, or on Fortnite I am downloading an update, which is often large files, as soon as I switch to another app the download stops, I know because I have the network speed feature turned on, and I can see the speed going from 25MBs to almost nothing, and yes I do mean 25MBs, I have a 500mbps connection, and I am referring to 5Ghz wifi, anyhow the speed is not the problem, the fact that the download stops is...

Thanks for reading [e]1f60a[/e]

2. thechangingtime
    Honeycomb Jan 25, 2021

thechangingtime , Jan 25, 2021 :
    Have you enabled Developer mode on your phone? If not to enable developer mode, go to settings, about phone and tap build number 7 times and then developer mode is enabled. Then go to settings, system, developer options scroll to apps section and see what the background process limit is set. You can also toggle Show background ANRs (Application Not Responding). And see if when you switch application it is flagged as an ANR.

3. Tobikage
    Nougat Jan 25, 2021

Tobikage , Jan 25, 2021 :
    Try and get around it by locking the app in memory before switching to another foreground app ?

4. LondonVirus
    Froyo Jan 25, 2021

The developer mode was off, the device is only a couple of months old, I guess I never had reason to go in there yet, the background processes is set to standard/default, which I am told is about 20 of I am not wrong, I have tuned on ANR for background apps, thanks for the info so far, I will keep you posted [e]1f60a[/e]

5. LondonVirus
    Froyo Jan 25, 2021

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, I just tested this, but it doesn't seem to fix the problem.

6. LondonVirus
    Froyo Jan 25, 2021

So, having tried all of the suggestions above with Chrome, downloading a large file from Mega.com, while on the actual Mega.com page in chrome I get about 11MBs, as soon as I switch to any app, such as the OnePlus community one the speed drop to between 3 and 1 MBs or less, as soon as I switch back to the Chrome page the speed is back up to 🤔

7. luv11
    Froyo Jan 25, 2021

8. thechangingtime
    Honeycomb Jan 25, 2021

thechangingtime , Jan 25, 2021 :
    Are you using data saver mode? If you are you can go to settings, apps & notifications, app info, select the specific application - chrome, mobile data & Wi-Fi, and toggle unrestricted data usage.

9. LondonVirus
    Froyo Jan 27, 2021

LondonVirus , via OnePlus 8T , Jan 27, 2021 :
    Hi, thanks for your reply, I have checked data saver as well, forgot to mention I. The original post, it's turned off, Chrome has unlimited data usage.

10. W1608143493262
    Gingerbread Jan 27, 2021

11. thechangingtime
    Honeycomb Jan 27, 2021

thechangingtime , Jan 27, 2021 :
    For chrome you can also try enabling parallel downloading to see if that will boost the background download speed. So in chrome at the URL type chrome://flags and then search for parallel downloads and switch it to enabled as opposed to default. Then restart the chrome browser for that change to take effect.

12. LondonVirus
    Froyo Jan 31, 2021