Bad battery life, dodgy bluetooth, bad data and calls - all solved

1. Trevsterx
    Froyo Sep 8, 2015

Trevsterx , Sep 8, 2015 :
    Hello all, I thought I'd share my revelation from this weekend. I'm always eager to side load the latest updates and very rarely wait for the OTAs. Things have been OK but the latest 5.1.1 took me over the edge. I persevered for a while but it just got too much. So much so that I was even thinking about splashing out on the 1+2.

So I ended up trying to go back to 5.0 and buggered my phone. It wouldnt even boot.

No other choice, I had to delete everything and factory reset it and go back to the original ROM and just let the OTA updates take it forward.

What a revelation. All my niggly issues are now resolved. I even let the 1+2 invite I received lapse and at this rate I have my ace phone back.

I know it's often recommended to factory reset but I'm sure few people do. I will be doing it more from now on.

quanah and FlyErik like this.
  2. anujbatwe2002
    Eclair Sep 8, 2015

3. Trevsterx
    Froyo Sep 8, 2015

FlyErik likes this.
  4. abechung
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 8, 2015

5. strickerz
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 8, 2015

6. Trevsterx
    Froyo Sep 8, 2015

FlyErik likes this.
  7. Jomon
    Gingerbread Sep 8, 2015

8. bryanallo
    Donut Sep 8, 2015

bryanallo , Sep 8, 2015 :
    I might just try that. honestly I was happy with the original CM that came with my phone. It had all the issues sorted out and none of the fancy crap I just end up turning off anyway.

This last update they pushed should have been optional and is obviously still in BETA. Nowhere close to production ready.

9. azeemarshad
    Gingerbread Sep 8, 2015

10. gringoboy
    Lollipop Sep 8, 2015

gringoboy , Sep 8, 2015 :
    Every update is optional. You have to allow updates.

11. bryanallo
    Donut Sep 8, 2015

bryanallo , Sep 8, 2015 :
    Actually my phone restarted several times in the past few weeks running updates I do not recall approving. We must have different phones.

12. bryanallo
    Donut Sep 9, 2015

bryanallo , Sep 9, 2015 :
    Where is that setting then? I cannot find where you disable that. Because I my phone had rebooted itself several times in the last few weeks, applying updates. Obviously we cannot rely on whoever is publishing these ROMs to test them thoroughly.

Once again the message we should be sending out here is that folks should NOT install this update. Unless they are willing to have issues we are all yet to solve.

Has anyone sorted out the SMS/Text messaging issues?? I backed up all my stuff and did a painful factory reset. The battery life issue is much better but not quite what it used to be. I can send text messages now. However I cannot receive text messages until hours or even days later. I've checked APN settings, even match them to a working 1+ with Oxygen, no dice. Ever wonder what it's like to be locked out of your accounts because you can't get your 2-Factor Auth Codes via text messaging?? Or Google Auth first needs to text you a code??

What is it about this last update and how could they screw it up so bad?? Have we drifted so far off the the whole idea of phone being a first a foremost a Phone that we don't even bother to test it ability to function as a phone? It's a rhetorical question in case you're wondering. Maybe it's time to just go with OxygenOS. It just seems like CM folks are increasingly trying to play the "features" game like samsung et al and forgetting what made CM popular in the first place.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015

13. krutiz90
    Froyo Sep 9, 2015

14. Camareos
    Cupcake Sep 9, 2015

Camareos , Sep 9, 2015 :
    I've also experienced some major problems after the update. Incredible battery drain in less than two hours and the device was heating up like crazy. Reset from the settings menu and disabling most of the unused and annoying google apps did the trick, though. Works like a treat again.

15. CC Dude
    Honeycomb Sep 9, 2015

CC Dude , Sep 9, 2015 :
    Gringoboy. What are you trying to say?
    How can you say every update is optional and then say you have to allow them.l don't understand!

16. lakland
    Gingerbread Sep 9, 2015

lakland , Sep 9, 2015 :
    I always do a factory reset after a new updates comes by, I flash the complete ROM file, not the incremental. I loose only the messages in the SMS only, photos, and contacts remains

17. manvir96
    Gingerbread Sep 9, 2015

18. gringoboy
    Lollipop Sep 10, 2015

gringoboy , Sep 10, 2015 :
    It's pretty clear isn't it? All OS updates on my OPO have been entirely optional. I've had to press accept to take them. Same on my iPhones. Are there really phones that force updates by themselves?

19. frinvs
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 10, 2015

20. Gonzo01
    Lollipop Sep 10, 2015

Gonzo01 , Sep 10, 2015 :
    I do that for quite long now. I flash often different ROMs , at least 2-3 per week. when I want to go back to 44S or 05Q (before), I always flash 33R or 38R, then let OTAs do their magic. after each OTA, I do factory reset with "erase everything" selected. when I get the build I want, another factory reset, then start setting up the phone to my taste. never had single issue. if I want 12.1, I just keep updating. :)