Bad Wifi with the Oneplus 5 ?

1. micilico Froyo Jun 23, 2017

micilico, Jun 23, 2017 :
    Hey guys i've got a bit of a problem here, just got my oneplus 5 today , the phone is great and stuff, but i have a big problem with wifi, download speed is really slow and when i do a speedtest the speed go to my max and then slowly fades to 0, and im not too far away because when i do a speedtest with my oneplus 2 at the exact same spot i get max speed.

I already wiped cash and factory reseted my phone and the issue is still here, what can i do now ?

2. Jon Conley Froyo Jun 23, 2017

Jon Conley, Jun 23, 2017 :
    Refund your device and buy from a better company. I say that being in the exact same boat as you.

I purchased two OP5 device; one 6GB and one 8GB. The 8GB model was DOA: WiFi doesn't work at all and LTE has extremely limited speeds. I tested between multiple SIM cards; I wiped the phone about a dozen times. My guess is: faulty hardware or just a bad image flash.

OnePlus expects customers to pay for the shipping (and if it gets lost along the way, you're on the hook for it -- so you have to insure it, too) for their faulty phones. They won't overnight you a replacement with a credit hold or anything of the sort.

So, if your replacement device has an issue too, you're paying to send that back again (and again).

I suspect this issue is going to become more common as devices roll out. Good luck in your return nightmare. I'm probably going to return everything at this point.

3. micilico Froyo Jun 23, 2017

micilico, Jun 23, 2017 :
    Yeah it's really normal to have such a shit newtorking part on the phone with the 560€ pricetag. I had two oneplus devices in the past and they were flawless, so yeah since its seems to be a common issue with the model they might roll an update out to fix the issue , because not to keen to send the phone back to lol

4. Jon Conley Froyo Jun 24, 2017

Jon Conley, Jun 24, 2017 :
    Well, you only have 15 days upon receipt to return is the thing; and they don't seem to be getting in front of the issue to justify holding onto a brick for my tastes.

Play Services had problems on the 6GB model and it took me over an hour to even get LTE to start working to download the OOS 4.5.1 update (which fixed nothing). What a bummer.

micilico likes this.
  5. micilico Froyo Jun 24, 2017

6. Jon Conley Froyo Jun 24, 2017

Jon Conley, Jun 24, 2017 :
    Just spent the whole day off-and-on juggling chats and phone calls about this very issue. They won't cover shipping costs and if your second purchased device has the same problems, you'll be paying for the shipping a second time. Plus, you're sending the devices to Acer and then waiting ~10+ days until you see your money again.

If you opt for a "Replacement Device", then your forfeit your ability to refund your device. That's absurd.

Seems like a fool's errand trying to reason with OnePlus in regards to faulty phones. I've never seen an OEM with such absurd policies. Good luck, buddy.

ravsrav likes this.
  7. micilico Froyo Jun 24, 2017

micilico, Jun 24, 2017 :
    Well, i feel like they are overwhelmed lol, they Maje a big fussent about the efficaciy of their Brand new support but they can't answer in à night haha

ravsrav likes this.
  8. ravsrav Eclair Jun 24, 2017

ravsrav, Jun 24, 2017 :
    Can you return the phone in a different country from where you purchased?

9. micilico Froyo Jun 24, 2017

micilico, Jun 24, 2017 :
    Ni Idea lol, its really bothersome the phone is like Amazing but the wifi sucks :/

Jon Conley likes this.
  10. sycshk Eclair Jun 24, 2017

Jon Conley likes this.
  11. G_Matthew_Siebert_aTTO Cupcake Jun 24, 2017

G_Matthew_Siebert_aTTO, Jun 24, 2017 :
    I have the 6gb model and have yet to find an issue. it's probably just your specific phone and I would get a replacement. I have tested out the wifi and lte networks and all are working erectly for me.

12. micilico Froyo Jun 24, 2017

micilico, Jun 24, 2017 :
    Hey guys, kinda found a work around here, by forcing 5 GHz wifi it kinda works, seems like the device has issues switching between the two

13. David Schuh Cupcake Jun 24, 2017

David Schuh, Jun 24, 2017 :
    Hello,

got my OnePlus 5 a few days ago and noticed WiFi drops too. I'm using a Netgear 7800 and connection is very strong but data stream was lost very often. Is is especially annoying during video streaming.
    Anyway I identified my problem! The phone's antenna is very easily blocked by my hand. if I grab the phone in landscape mode with my left hand and the camera is left, WiFi is then a mess. now if I turn the phone with the camera on the right side, WiFi is strong... No problems in portrait mode...

It may have something to do with router position and mimo.

Good luck !

14. JapserB Froyo Jun 24, 2017

JapserB, Jun 24, 2017 :
    I have the same issue, but it seems like I only have it on 5GHz wifi. Customer support is going to remotely reinstall the OS on my phone later today. Fingers crossed...

15. m4gr01ino Gingerbread Jun 24, 2017

m4gr01ino, Jun 24, 2017 :
    I am coming from a Oneplus One with Cyanogenmod, my (first) impressions are that the wifi signal is not as good on the Oneplus 5 but I still have to do some tests. Besides that I had no problems at all getting LTE and Wifi to work out of the box.

16. micilico Froyo Jun 24, 2017

micilico, Jun 24, 2017 :
    I dont know, i already tried several "positions" with my phone witjout succes, but thanks for the advice though, i sent everyrhing to the adresse, hope itll be fixed quickly :)

Jon Conley likes this.
  17. Elcondor Cupcake Jun 24, 2017

micilico likes this.
  18. micilico Froyo Jun 24, 2017

micilico, Jun 24, 2017 :
    Yeah i posted it earlier, forced 5ghz seems to do the trick even though signal is weakier than my OP2

Jon Conley likes this.
  19. Crystal Z. Global Community <3 Staff Member Jun 24, 2017

Crystal Z., Jun 24, 2017 :
    thank you, will update you if there are any findings.

20. micilico Froyo Jun 24, 2017