Bamboo Styleswap Plastic?

1. i5xswipe
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 10, 2015

i5xswipe , Feb 10, 2015 :
    Hello all, I received my bamboo invite last week and placed my order hours later. Today I received it! NOTE: Delivery requires signature from USPS, the same as the phone itself!

Leading up to the arrival of my styleswap I started seeing others claim the bamboo styleswap was really plastic. With some different forum members chiming in and disagreeing. Others just claiming trolling. I hope to offer some clarity to those eager for the OnePlus authentic bamboo.

To start, I have been very impressed with the OnePlus team this past year regarding their hardware and accessories designs, and packaging! I think most of you could easily agree.

So to keep it short, the style swap is Bamboo, and it is plastic. You all are right. Please read on to get details.

The styleswap appears to be a single plastic mold inlaid with a thin bamboo vaneer. This is certainly a little different then what we saw in the prototyping video for bamboo.
    Edit: Having watched the video again, you can see the plastic used. This was always the intended design. The video is scene cuts at a pace that makes it difficult to recognize and not immediately obvious. Like I stated in a comment below. The plastic is required to get compatibility and fitment. It is really not an issue at all aesthetically or comfort.

As most of us are aware, OnePlus had severe problems with the first runs of production of the Bamboo style swaps. I would guess the original attempts were to be attempted much like the prototype and to CNC the styleswap out of bamboo. However with the tight tolerances and unpredictable nature of wood with all its beautiful grains and imperfections that give it its natural beauty I think production was wisely changed to the current product design.

What you get is a perfectly fitting bamboo styleswap from the exterior. With a rigid plastic boarder and sides. The same plastic as the original white or black styleswap without texture.

Looking at the interior of the styleswap you can most easily see the plastic which is what gives the styleswap its rigidity and strength. While wood sides would have been ideal austhetically, they would have been far to brittle and prone to damage and fitment issues.

The finish product is clean, with good lines and near flawless fitment. My sim tray sits slightly crooked in the recess but, certainly isn't noticeable or an issue. All the ports line up perfectly, mic, speakers, camera, etc.

I am happy with the product. I think perhaps $30 would be a better price but, I am happy regardless.

In the box:
    Bamboo Styleswap
    3 sided edge tool
    Instructions
    Color matched Nano and Micro sim tray

Tools needed:
    3 sided edge tool
    Sim eject tool
    3.5mm headphone - I personally used a small screwdriver as I didn't want to damage my headphone Jack using it as a pry device.

Installation:
    The installation was easy! I highly recommend following the directions.

Must do this over a bed or other soft flat surface. You start by removing the sim tray, then pry the styleswap up from the headphone jack. This unlocks the first clip. From here the 3 edge tool is used to slide along all the edges to pop the clips. The tricky bit is the corners and not popping the other clips back on while trying to handle the phone and pop the remaining sides.

Enjoy!

All pictures taken with the OPO 5MP 85% setting using clear image.

IMG_20150210_123526~2.jpg IMG_20150210_123443.jpg IMG_20150210_123459.jpg IMG_20150210_123538.jpg

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015

Bassilk, bestlands, NaterTots and 4 others like this.
  2. Toulouse
    KitKat Feb 10, 2015

onogram and erzengelsachiel like this.
  3. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Feb 10, 2015

dsmonteiro , Feb 10, 2015 :
    Where did you see that the case was entirely made of bamboo? I know since day one that case is like this.

And that is actual bamboo on top of the case.

Skf123, blisside, addam and 3 others like this.
  4. i5xswipe

Had you read the article I said, it was bamboo vaneer inlaid in the plastic styleswap.

5. TJ COMBO
    Jelly Bean Feb 10, 2015

TJ COMBO , Feb 10, 2015 :
    I read the small print saying the bamboo cover is slightly thicker than the original sandstone/white covers. So it will be wider to hold, that IMO sucks. Was going to buy it... Now you mentioned it is also plastic, I will pass on this.

Kassar likes this.
  6. Stopiwala

CasperTFG likes this.
  7. i5xswipe

The width is unchanged. The depth is slightly thicker. We are talking you need a micrometer to measure the difference. My Diztronic TPU case fits ever so tighter, but still fits.

The nature of the OnePlus design requires the plastic bit to get the fitment, attachment, and antennas.

This is evident having for the first time taken the styleswap off. This is really the only way to build the styleswap.

I just wanted to offer a single stop for folks to get some clarity on what they are purchasing and see the product.

8. i5xswipe

Walnut is gorgeous! I love the different hardwoods available on the Moto X.

9. tejas.patel13
    Cupcake Feb 10, 2015

10. esaurabh

11. Onyx11
    Jelly Bean Feb 10, 2015

12. TJ COMBO
    Jelly Bean Feb 10, 2015

13. i5xswipe

You are correct, the video is such a fast pace video with scene cuts, I never noticed the plastic sub-base before. I expect others had not either. The view of the rounded bamboo before the trimming makes it appear to be all bamboo. But later you can see them glueing and mounting to the plastic base!

dsmonteiro likes this.
  14. Toulouse
    KitKat Feb 10, 2015

Toulouse , Feb 10, 2015 :
    Watch the Bamboo introduction video :)

15. Stopiwala

Stopiwala , Feb 10, 2015 :
    If only OP would have followed through on that aspect. While minor, it was a facet of this phone that I was looking forward to having.
    For some reason, purchasing the bamboo would seem like I'm settling just because they didn't offer what I initially intended to purchase.

CasperTFG and Sekrit_skworl like this.
  16. clutchinonedowntwoup
    Honeycomb Feb 10, 2015

gns_jonas likes this.
  17. Thimo
    Jelly Bean Feb 10, 2015

Thimo , Feb 10, 2015 :
    Glad to hear, mine is on it's way. I already feel like it's a waste of money, but who cares, we're OnePlus Supporters!

18. chvzedgar

19. B4kken
    Lollipop Feb 10, 2015

20. boxter

boxter , Feb 10, 2015 :
    Gave my invite to a friend, he likes I don't. To me it looks like 1970 woodie station wagon