Band 12 T-Mobile VoLTE

1. Denco1
    Gingerbread Aug 4, 2015

Denco1 , Aug 4, 2015 :
    With the OnePlus 2 not currently supporting VoLTE will it be able to connect to band 12?
    Motorola devices have had updates to disable band 12 as they do not have VoLTE.

2. gusuraman
    Community Veteran Aug 4, 2015

3. Denco1
    Gingerbread Aug 4, 2015

Denco1 , Aug 4, 2015 :
    Moto E/G also supported band 12 but this was subsequently removed as they do not support VoLTE. How do we know the same thing won't happen here?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015

4. gusuraman

5. Denco1
    Gingerbread Aug 4, 2015

6. gusuraman

gusuraman , Aug 4, 2015 :
    In that case just hope that OnePlus will work it out soon;)

Denco1 likes this.
  7. hpark21
    Eclair Sep 1, 2015

hpark21 , Sep 1, 2015 :
    T-mo can ask, but One+ does not have to comply to it as phones are sold globally and one does not have to take into account that for example, B12 without VoLTE may still work just fine in Rogers up in Canada. However, that said, if let's say that someone who got the One+ phone and was using it on T-mobile, and had full bars on B12 who tried to call 911 and it failed and something bad happened. S/he may be advised by the lawyers to sue T-mobile, which in turn will deflect it and point to One+ since they could claim that they notified the One+ of the potential issue and request them to remove the B12 support but One+ chose to ignore it, then it COULD get ugly for small company like One+ as FCC could potentially yank the license to sell the phone in US until One+ either implements VoLTE or remove B12 support.

8. PKCPhone
    Cupcake Sep 1, 2015

PKCPhone , Sep 1, 2015 :
    My understanding is that the OPT will support LTE Band 12, and that should improve data connections for those using T-Mobile as their carrier. However, initially at least the OPT will not support VoLTE. That causes a problem for T-Mobile service only if you are in a location where there are no other voice channels available. In that case the phone will show LTE availability but you may not be able to place a call. Usually, your T-Mobile service would start roaming, searching for an AT&T or other carrier signal to use. But because the phone reports to T-Mobile that it has Band 12 available, and T-Mobile assumes that means it is VoLTE capable, it won't know that it should roam, and you won't be able to place the call. That has implications for E911 service too: the phone won't roam to be able to place a 911 call. That's why Band 12 was removed from the Moto phone that didn't have VoLTE support. It seems that OPT is willing to violate T-Mobiles request to provide Band 12 only if VoLTE is also supported at first, while planning to support VoLTE with an update later. How much later is something we'll have to wait and see.

9. Dennis51
    Honeycomb Sep 8, 2015

Dennis51 , Sep 8, 2015 :
    Hmmm...Nexbit Robin is working on VoLTE Band 12 certification BEFORE release. And OP promises to support it later. I am curious if it's as simple as firmware, I suspect not. Here's an interesting article that includes T-Mobile's current and future plans for Band 12 coverage. The issue should be watched T-Mobile or their MNVO subscribers.

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story...ur-network-must-support-volte-e911/2015-08-28

I'm of course biased as a T-Mobile/Ting MNVO subscriber. It may cause me to bail on pledge to Robin campaign if NOT successfully addressed. Then I would wait for OP December presentation. :)

lostLambda likes this.
  10. Dennis51
    Honeycomb Sep 8, 2015

Dennis51 , Sep 8, 2015 :
    Research seems to indicate that VoLTE Band 12 support via T-Mobile is indeed hardware, yet may include software as well. That said IS the OP2 manufactured with the required hardware and if so, IS OP going to get it certified? It appears through research that T-Mobile is aggressively expanding their LTE coverage with Band 12 with VoLTE. T-Mobile is being, shall we say evasive about it. OPO owners, who rely on Band 4 are affected too. If Band 4 is "abandoned" in favor of Band 12, coverage is lost. Anyone else have thoughts?

11. lostLambda
    Lollipop Sep 8, 2015

lostLambda , Sep 8, 2015 :
    How are you liking Ting?

12. Dennis51
    Honeycomb Sep 8, 2015

Dennis51 , Sep 8, 2015 :
    So far, as good as Straight Talk, cheaper as I use phone little to call and use Messenger more to text. As a OPO owner and backer of Nextbit Robin, who at least admit to pursuing TM certification for band 12, I am concerned over TM's lack of transparency. I saw on their own Blog an answer to this question that they still support Band 4, no more and they used the 36 hour gig to close the conversation. I also am wondering how convoluted and expensive is the "certification." process, even wonder if OP will bother. Looks like TM is going to be adamant that OEM's get THEIR certification. I may have to look at going back to Verizon, Nextbit is looking into a version of Robin to cover them. Sprint and AT&T are both out for me. But, yeah, so far, less than a month in Ting is good, they have a great tracker that continuously monitors everyone together on usage, I have 2 now and soon to be 3 on Ting. So, currently glad I passed on the OP2 for other reasons. Wonder if Motorola will get the 2015 Pure certified.

13. jerrymilton
    Jelly Bean Sep 24, 2015

14. noweakness
    Honeycomb Oct 7, 2015

noweakness , Oct 7, 2015 :
    Just seeing if there are any updates on Volte for T Mobile. I've searched and most say that it should be included in an OTA.

Hopefully it comes out soon. Hope it fixed dropped calls and simultaneous data/talk.

15. run99ner_ff
    Cupcake Oct 15, 2015

run99ner_ff , Oct 15, 2015 :
    I just got my OP2 and I'm disappointed that I have taken a step backwards since the phone pushes the voice calls down to UMTS. I'm baffled why the OS doesn't have the option of turning on or off the VoLTE feature. How soon will the OS be upgraded to support VoLTE?