Battery bulging

1. guusders Cupcake Jul 25, 2019

guusders, Jul 25, 2019 :
    I've been using my OnePlusOne since January 2015. Never used a case and still has the original screen protector that I applied after the unboxing. I have installed a custom ROM twice now to get it to run a bit faster, but other than that I've done no tampering with it. It still works like a charm, not as fast as the new models but hey, it's almost 5 years old, a (handsome) dinosaur in smartphone-years.

Now recently I've noticed that the battery is starting to bulge. The sandstone backpanel, now totally smooth from the years of use, is beginning to crack and making way for the battery. I would like to hold on to my OnePlusOne for sentiments sake (being the flagship killer of its day), so I am wondering if there is any way to fix this problem. Can I pop in a new battery, and is it possible to buy a new sandstone backpanel somewhere through official channels?

I'm reluctant to buy a new smartphone, because the new OnePlus models are now priced as the competition, which I think is too much for a pocket computer. Yet the alternatives would mean I no longer have a OnePlus.

Can anyone help me with this issue?

Much appreciated,
    Guus

2. Horsault Marshmallow Moderator Jul 25, 2019

Horsault, Jul 25, 2019 :
    Stop using your device immediately. There's heavy risk of fire and/or explosion.

Contact CS for battery replacement.

B_Wrath likes this.
  3. Arjun Choudhry Gingerbread Jul 25, 2019

Arjun Choudhry, Jul 25, 2019 :
    It is because of overcharging your device. Switch it off and keep it aside in an open space for the time being. Take it to the nearest OnePlus service centre at the earliest.

4. Horsault Marshmallow Moderator Jul 25, 2019

Horsault, Jul 25, 2019 :
    This has NOTHING to do with overcharging, as it's impossible with modern batteries. Overcharging a Li-ion or LiPo battery results in explosion.
    It's simply battery aging.

B_Wrath likes this.
  5. Arjun Choudhry Gingerbread Jul 25, 2019

Arjun Choudhry, Jul 25, 2019 :
    I got the battery of my OnePlus 2 changed at the Authorised OnePlus Service Centre about a year back. They told me that the battery is prone to swelling if the user kept it plugged-in for several hours a day for a long period of time, say 4-5 years.

6. guusders Cupcake Jul 25, 2019

guusders, Jul 25, 2019 :
    I live in the Netherlands, where do I go for a battery replacement? Can I order a (original) battery online somewhere?

7. Horsault Marshmallow Moderator Jul 25, 2019

Horsault, Jul 25, 2019 :
    Open a ticket using chat on oneplus.com/support.

Don't forget to backup all your important data from your device.

8. Horsault Marshmallow Moderator Jul 25, 2019

Horsault, Jul 25, 2019 :
    4-5 years is simply normal battery life. Nothing to do with "over" charging, it's a matter of charge cycles and hardware wear. There are detailed threads about this, you should read them.

9. guusders Cupcake Jul 25, 2019

guusders, Jul 25, 2019 :
    Ok thank you, I'm going to check this out.

10. flonni Cupcake Jul 30, 2019

flonni, Jul 30, 2019 :
    Last week i opened a ticket for my oneplus one to have the battery replaced. it was simply canceled after 3 days without giving any reasons. :(:(:( .

11. Horsault Marshmallow Moderator Jul 30, 2019

Horsault, Jul 30, 2019 :
    Use chat.