Battery drain problem via OnePlus Nord

1. I1595276370881
    Cupcake Aug 11, 2020

I1595276370881 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 11, 2020 :
    I'm using one plus nord for past 1week and i observed that the battery is draining quickly. When I'm watching a video for 1.5 hrs the battery drains by 30-35 %. So there any problem with the setting or the battery backup is not so good with Nord.

Justin_Saju likes this.
  3. gordonlaukongting , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 11, 2020 :
    I have to charge twice a day. Battery just draining very fast. If you go to check battery usage, you would see the screen and Android system are using the most percentage. Nothing can be done except waiting for OS update......

Justin_Saju likes this.
  4. iamelton
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 11, 2020

iamelton , Aug 11, 2020 :
    i think 30% battery for 1.5 hrs video is normal, quite good actually..

5. Praty_28
    KitKat Aug 11, 2020

Praty_28 , Aug 11, 2020 :
    No, it is not normal. Watching videos is one of the lowest power consuming tasks as there minimal cpu and gpu consumption. This rate of drain would have been normal if the user is playing a graphic intensive game wherein both cpu and gpu are consecutively utilized at that too at highest possible clock speeds. This also generates heat which in turn causes faster battery drain.

The Nord considering that it is new and has a fresh battery should easily provide 8-9 hours of screen on time if it is only used for media consumption.

6. iamelton
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 12, 2020

iamelton , Aug 12, 2020 :
    pls enlighten with some mid-range phones that can provide 8-9 hours video watching time..
    (actual user experience, not lab-created timings..)

7. Swatiranjan
    Jelly Bean Aug 12, 2020

Swatiranjan , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Hi,.

Make sure battery saver is on - Always keep battery saver on to help increase the overall battery life of your phone
    - Change screen resolution - If you have the option, go into settings, display and then change your screenresolution to the lowest possible ( as much you want)
    - Turn off Bluetooth, NFC, Location and more when not in use.
    - Try and keep apps close in the background
    Advanced Tip:
    1 Set any apps not required to run in the background to optimize on the battery optimization mode
    2. Use dark mode for more power saving.

Use of online gaming/ Video apps/hotspot/wifi continuously drain battery.

I hope it'll help.

8. R1596160129584 , via OnePlus Nord Blue Marble , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Thankyou for the suggestion but this wont lasts long....spending 30k amount to this and taking these measure whats the use of buying ..i trust these company a lot but this battery didnt satisfy me as expected as 4115mah batteries should be...this bug should take into consideration and solve immediately.

brahmachari69 likes this.
  9. Swatiranjan
    Jelly Bean Aug 12, 2020

Swatiranjan , via OnePlus 7T , Aug 12, 2020 :
    I have just given some tips for battery saving. A 4115 mAH battery should last for around a total of 20 hours out if which 6/7 hours ontime with average usage.

If you are getting more than that, it's a bonus.
    Playing intense games like PUBG/Asphalt won't help saving battery neither switching hotspot for 4/5 hours.

No smartphone sustain such battery life.( Even those phones which are 1000$ priced)

Y1597157169952 likes this.
  10. Praty_28
    KitKat Aug 12, 2020

Praty_28 , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Sure thing I'll show you the actual battery drain test of the Nord, and guess what its not just video watching but actually intensive tasks like 4k recording and gaming too yet the Nord managed to last for 9 hours and 17 mins. So if its just video watching im sure it will last for atleast 12 hours before dying.

Batteries on smartphones have gotten a lot more efficient even the 3 year old battery on my 3T lasts for 6+ hours if I only watch videos.

11. Pratik2299
    Froyo Aug 12, 2020

Pratik2299 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 12, 2020 :
    I was also facing this issue. But after updating the device to 10.5.4 oxygen os, battery has extended drastically.
    After updating, I got battery life of almost 1 and a half day which includes streaming of hd Netflix videos of around 2 hours and playing pubg a little.

12. gordonlaukongting , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Last night I have done following few things, and it seems extend a bit of my battery usage.

1. Change to use Dark theme
    2. Only allow some important apps to always access Location service
    3. Disable the typing vibration (I don't remember where I disable it)
    4. Disable Fnatic mode for my gaming

I do have few more settings done but I forgot where I did it. I still have 90Hz rate and auto brightness enabled. But this morning I woke up at 10am, got just 48% left, and I still have 8% juice at 730pm. I feel the battery last longer than before.

13. iamelton

well i hope you did realise the nord in the video was running at 60Hz 1080P..
    if it lasted 9+ hrs at this config, how long would you expect it to last at 90Hz (which is the default setting) 2k or even 4k resolution?

14. Praty_28
    KitKat Aug 12, 2020

Praty_28 , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Seriously? The nord does not even support 2k resolution let alone 4k. Here, I found some footage to justify my previous post.

If you watch the test, the first lap of 2 hours video playback drained 25% of battery on nord (90hz) so of you do basic math you can calculate that it will last approximately 8 hours before dying.

15. iamelton

sorry for quoting incorecct display resolutions.. just wrote the figures without much thought (was more focused on the 90Hz part at the time).. anyway my bad..

and you won.. nord should really do better than 9hr sot.. OP should at once RMA his/her device for defective battery.. i give up now.. ;)

Praty_28 likes this.
  16. I1595276370881
    Cupcake Aug 15, 2020

I1595276370881 , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 15, 2020 :
    one plus has asked to share the log using *#800#. In the mail they have explained the procedure. But I couldn't find the log switch option there. Sharing the details:
    Steps to take Logs :
    1.Phone---*#800#---Enter
    2.Basic log--setting icon--Log save location--/sdcard/oem_log&get bugreport when stop logging-Enter
    3.Back--open the log switch
    4.reproduce the issue
    5.Phone---*#800#---Enter--close the log
    6.File Manager---Storage---Internal storage---find the oem_log file folder---Compress ,shared it to us via Google drive or any cloud drive.

Can anyone explain methe step 3?

17. AnuraagMathias
    Cupcake Aug 15, 2020

AnuraagMathias , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 15, 2020 :
    My battery is pretty good. I only got the phone earlier today but I played 3 hours of pubg non-stop with a 45% drain because of it. And my phone has been on 90 hz refresh rate ever since i got it.

18. jamesaunderwood
    Cupcake Aug 16, 2020

jamesaunderwood , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 16, 2020 :
    I just moved to the One Plus Nord from using the Huawei Mate 10 Pro for the last 2.5 years having heard positive things about this companynand their products. Whilst the phone is a nice handset, I'm finding the battery very poor and is a huge disappointment.

It drains when not in use (including overnight) and as yet and struggles to get through a day of minimal use. I also feel I'm not using it anywhere near I would the demands of my mobile usually at present as still using my old phone in WiFi connections.

I'm not the most tech savvy individual and there might be a very simple way to improve the battery life? Any help would be appreciated [e]1f44d[/e]

19. jasonarima
    Honeycomb Aug 19, 2020

jasonarima , Aug 19, 2020 :
    I found one temporary way which might be helpful for battery life.
    If you have enabled the "Gallery Cloud Sync", you can try to disable it first and see whether the battery drains issue got improved.

20. Caomhin
    Marshmallow Aug 19, 2020

Caomhin , via OnePlus 6T , Aug 19, 2020 :
    Try to Optimize the phone, clear your recent apps, also set 3rd party apps to Optimize in Settings Battery, only leave the ones you need run in the background or to notify you such as messages, email, Google Services, oneplus etc on Intelligent control.

Android may take a few days to optimize those apps after setting them to Optimize depending on your usage of those apps. A10 has its own learning curve.

Go through 2 to 3 charge cycles, leave on charge beyond full capacity for a couple of hours. Preferably overnight.

After a few days, Check App battery stats at about 50% and see if there are particular apps using more resources than necessary.

A definitive guide to everything that affects smartphone battery life
    https://www.androidauthority.com/smartphone-battery-life-drain-causes-1071423/

Guide to lower Batter Drain.
    https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/guide-lower-battery-drain.1260498/

gordonlaukongting likes this.